The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Feb 26, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #811 of 1,141
Andysaudiovault's favourite dongle is FC6 and he rates it even higher than the Elite. Ive compared them both and sold the FC6 the next day after the Elite came.
The Hiby has fantastic dac but it doesnt really stand up to the Elite in overall sound presentation. Its just too intimate, it sounds like a very good dongle or a mid tier dap. It doesnt have these qualities that higher end daps and the Elite have- the maturity and subtlety, evenness, neutrality and a spacious and holographic soundstage (at least not to this degree).
The Elite maybe doesnt beat TOTL daps but it comes really close. Im raving about this device because its the first time in this hobby when i hear such a small and "cheap" source competing on the same level with devices 3-5 times bigger and 3-4 times more expensive. The sound just doesnt have any compromises.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #812 of 1,141
Sold out my Ibasso Dc Elite, SQ wise it was straight no match for mid-daps or even pushed above some of Totl of them but due to the fact of being on my phone when listening to music and being constantly interrapted, nah dongles are not for me I need a DAP will be Ibasso Dx300 equally Good in SQ or Shanling M3ultra or Fiio M11 plus Ess, please help me I need to hardwire to my New Mest MK II in a few Days, :)

Hold on, so let me get it straight :wink: You sold DC Elite which you find to be superior even to some TOTL daps because you don't want a distraction while dealing with your phone as a source. And you want to spend more money while looking into other inferior sources from either Shanling or Fiio? Why not just get a cheaper digital android source, like $199 Hiby M300 and use it with your DC Elite? Sorry, but am I missing something?

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #813 of 1,141
Hold on, so let me get it straight :wink: You sold DC Elite which you find to be superior even to some TOTL daps because you don't want a distraction while dealing with your phone as a source. And you want to spend more money while looking into other inferior sources from either Shanling or Fiio? Why not just get a cheaper digital android source, like $199 Hiby M300 and use it with your DC Elite? Sorry, but am I missing something?
Or set a do not disturb profile on your phone that silences all notifications. You could even call it your “Music Time” profile.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #814 of 1,141
Or set a do not disturb profile on your phone that silences all notifications. You could even call it your “Music Time” profile.
Or find an excuse to next audio purchase... never know ;P

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #815 of 1,141
Andysaudiovault's favourite dongle is FC6 and he rates it even higher than the Elite. Ive compared them both and sold the FC6 the next day after the Elite came.
The Hiby has fantastic dac but it doesnt really stand up to the Elite in overall sound presentation. Its just too intimate, it sounds like a very good dongle or a mid tier dap. It doesnt have these qualities that higher end daps and the Elite have- the maturity and subtlety, evenness, neutrality and a spacious and holographic soundstage (at least not to this degree).
The Elite maybe doesnt beat TOTL daps but it comes really close. Im raving about this device because its the first time in this hobby when i hear such a small and "cheap" source competing on the same level with devices 3-5 times bigger and 3-4 times more expensive. The sound just doesnt have any compromises.
I find his reviews, what few I have watched, off and missing the true sound performance. He reviews hundreds of dongles and many think he is an expert but I think it is more something perceived as valid since he has done so many reviews than meaning he is very good at what he does. Also, he will get facts wrong, which he did about the DC Elite. No, I don't trust his ears. That is my opinion.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #816 of 1,141
Great idea, Thaks for the heads Up on the M300 - totally missed this one. I'm getting one. Perfect use case you outline here!

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #817 of 1,141
Great idea, Thaks for the heads Up on the M300 - totally missed this one. I'm getting one. Perfect use case you outline here!
As far as I see that device doesn't stream though?
So for local playback from microsd that's nice but nothing for playing Tidal, Qobuz etc

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #818 of 1,141
I think this Hiby M300 has open Android, so you can install streaming applications. I'm just not sure if it will be Bit Perfect through the applications directly, since I don't think it's Bypass. So maybe do some resampling.

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #819 of 1,141
I think this Hiby M300 has open Android, so you can install streaming applications. I'm just not sure if it will be Bit Perfect through the applications directly, since I don't think it's Bypass. So maybe do some resampling.
Thx
I thought it doesn't even have wifi but it does but searching a bit in Internet it seems it does indeed resample

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #820 of 1,141
As far as I see that device doesn't stream though?
So for local playback from microsd that's nice but nothing for playing Tidal, Qobuz etc
Runs Android 13, so I assume you can install streaming apps. It is a limited functionality player, only has 3.5mm output and I suspect a cutdown audio performance. I mean, you can get something like DX260 :) But if you want to disconnect yourself from a smartphone and not to be bothered with emalls, txts, notifications, I would rather get a different "cut down" source instead of selling DC Elite. Just my 2c. Btw, I should get M300 for review soon. But like I said, only looking at it as a cheap ($199) small digital wifi source to drive external dongles and hopefully to be able to use iBasso app with it.

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #822 of 1,141
Its is probably the most smartphone-like dap. It has everything you will ever need for streaming.
If the streaming app like Tidal will connect to the dongle in exclusive mode and do bitperfect streaming to the dongle than everything is fine.
Otherwise no go

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #823 of 1,141
Runs Android 13, so I assume you can install streaming apps. It is a limited functionality player, only has 3.5mm output and I suspect a cutdown audio performance. I mean, you can get something like DX260 :) But if you want to disconnect yourself from a smartphone and not to be bothered with emalls, txts, notifications, I would rather get a different "cut down" source instead of selling DC Elite. Just my 2c. Btw, I should get M300 for review soon. But like I said, only looking at it as a cheap ($199) small digital wifi source to drive external dongles and hopefully to be able to use iBasso app with it.
Yeah, that's exactly what your original post has me thinking. I've never been a "Dongle Guy" because of the drain on my phone which I cant afford - I need the phone! Sure, I'll bluetooth off a phone because that's sustainable but to plug in a dongle to drain my battery just isnt going to work for me. I've thought about picking up a cheap phone with big battery like one of the Moto G series, simply to use as a source into a good dongle, but why, that's why I've got DAPs! BUT if this M300 can be used as a pure digital transport into the Elite - Well, I'm willing to give that a go, and perhaps ditch the ageing DAP!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #824 of 1,141
Yeah, that's exactly what your original post has me thinking. I've never been a "Dongle Guy" because of the drain on my phone which I cant afford - I need the phone! Sure, I'll bluetooth off a phone because that's sustainable but to plug in a dongle to drain my battery just isnt going to work for me. I've thought about picking up a cheap phone with big battery like one of the Moto G series, simply to use as a source into a good dongle, but why, that's why I've got DAPs! BUT if this M300 can be used as a pure digital transport into the Elite - Well, I'm willing to give that a go, and perhaps ditch the ageing DAP!
I use two always excellent LG V50s, they cost 200 euros new each and have an infinite battery plus the possibility of mounting a microSD (essential for me) and a processor that doesn't bother UAPP (Snapdragon 855). An Android that is not too modern and therefore without the various invasive permissions and controls by the operating system itself. I'm fine with their music use and they don't drain the battery of the main phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back