The "I think Headphone X is better than Headphone Y" list thread (part one).
Dec 20, 2007 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
This thread is intended to be a parody on the state of nature of our discussions here at Head-Fi. No offense intended to anyone, it's just that by the very nature of the law of large numbers there will always be diverging opinions. We all hear differently and we all need to be heard (in terms of arguing that X is better than Y). Heck, some of us haven't heard anything but still have an opinion on the matter! But in this thread, that's Ok!!!

It should be a fun game. I hope you'll all play along. I'll start by making a statement about what I believe are the "best" headphones to me, but I won't tell you how I've come to this conclusion or what I mean by "best"; it's just what I believe.

Anyone is then free to discredit what I've had to say simply by stating your own conclusion (so long as you believe it) without in any way providing even a morsel of support for your conclusion. Of course, if you agree with me you can just say, "I agree". Hang in there, because I promise you this will be fun!

The only requirement that is that you must be "serious" in the sense that you should really believe that what you're posting is true, at least to you. It doesn't matter how you've arrived at this belief. Your conclusions could have been derived as a result of your own listening experiences, or they could be based n what you're read here at Head-Fi, or what you've heard others say, etc.

Ok, so the game itself is quite simple. I'll start with this:

"The HE90s are the best headphones."

You can then say, "I agree." Or you can say, "I think the R10s are better" (or whatever pair of headphones you believe are better than the HE90s).

The next person can then agree with you that the R10s are the "best" headphones (i.e., since they are "better" than what I think is the "best", they must themselves be the "best"). Or that person can say, "I think the K1000s are better" (making them, or whatever other pair that person chooses as the best to become the new best, thus replacing the R10 at the top slot).

Once we have a new best, that's the pair of headphones that the next person needs to make his or her comparison against. So if we go from the HE90 to R10 to K1000, then next person has to agree or disagree with the K1000 being the best. If that person disagrees, then he or she should state what is best (which could take us back to the HE90 but by definition not back to the R10, at least not on that round). Get it?

After several pages of posts, I'll explain my theory, and then maybe open the thread up to a discussion about what this exercise has taught us (if anything). But for now, please don't explain why you think the way that you do, just state your beliefs and let the next person state his or hers without arguing back and forth.

Dec 20, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so the game itself is quite simple. I'll start with this:

"The HE90s are the best headphones."

i disagree

i believe that the sony r10 is the best, since it is claimed to be king of dynamics

Dec 20, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by frekvens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess this means that I can only add an opinion If I have heard the HE90 ?

No, that's not required! All you have to do in this thread is state what you think. Your opinion, your belief, whatever you want to call it, and however you happen to have come to that conclusion. It could be based on what you've heard yourself, or on what you have read, or have heard others say. So long as you believe it, you should feel free to say it in this thread, with no explanation as to how you've come to having that belief.

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i disagree

i believe that the sony r10 is the best, since it is claimed to be king of dynamics

Not true. I don't like the sound of those woodies. Despite I've never listened them, I think orpheus system sounds much more natural and complex. The fact that I haven't listened that orpheus thing either, its not important here.

That eighties(ish) Sony ads with all that bacteria-technology explanation texts had no vacuums or cool things that orpheus shows in its pictures.

So, orpheus is better, hands down.

Edit: Oh!, I read again the initial post, and realized that I "have" to be serious... So this post doesnt' count... :p

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 61
Quote:

i disagree

This is a pretty good response, but it would be better if you simply said:

I disagree. The Sony R10 is the best.

(It's Ok if you want to state how you came to this conclusion, as you have, but it's not necessary). At this point in the thread there is no need for any form of discussion whatsoever. We're just trying to get at beliefs.

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #7 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true. I don't like the sound of those woodies. Despite I've never listened them, I think orpheus system sounds much more natural and complex. The fact that I haven't listened that orpheus thing either, its not important here.

That eighties(ish) Sony ads with all that bacteria-technology explanation texts had no vacuums or cool things that orpheus shows in its pictures.

So, orpheus is better, hands down.

Ok, you're getting half of the picture. You don't need to have valid reasons for the beliefs that you hold (like actually listening to both of them and doing your own comparisons) but you're missing the other half! The other half is that, at least right now, the HE90 cannot be better than the R10 because someone has already told us that the R10 is better!

So if you think something is better than the R10, let us know but it can't be the HE90, at least until something else is said to be better than the R10. If the K1000 is said (by someone else) to be better than the R10, then you can make the HE90 the best again because you wouldn't be refuting a direct truth as stated by someone else.

Get it? The HE90 can be better than the K1000 (or whichever pair takes over once the R10's are no longer considered the "best") and thus they can indirectly become the best again, but you can't directly refute what someone else has said. There has to be at least 2 degrees of separation because we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings as we try to decide once and for all which pair is the best!

Thus, as of now, the R10s are still the best. Anyone (honestly, for whatever unstated reason) disagree?

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 61
the gs-1000's are better.

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

i disagree. i think that the r10 is better than the taket h2

No, you can't do that! Doug said the taket h2 are better than the R10, so they're better! You can't refute what he just said! Otherwise what he just said can't be valid! And because he said so, it is valid! Don't you guys get it? Any other headphone on the planet could be better than the taket h2 in your opinion but not the R10 because Doug just told us that the taket h2 are better than the R10.

You can either agree with him, or you can "one up" him by showing him something that he (obviously) hasn't been turned on to (otherwise he wouldn't be laboring under the false belief that the taket h2 are the best). But it can't be the R10 because he just told us the taket h2 are better, and we're not here to argue with Doug, just to show him the next step in the evolution that he's obviously been missing!

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #13 of 61
Quote:

i disagree. i think that the r10 is better than the gs-1000

I disagree, I think that the L3000 is much better than the r10. (slightly better than the ibud).

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #15 of 61
Quote:

i disagree. i think that the r10 is better than the gs-1000

Now that's Ok! The R10 can better than the GS1000. Now the R10s are the best again.

But keep in mind that since you're already voted, you can't say anything else is better than the R10s later on (unless of course your mind changes again for whatever reasons, but only if it honestly changes).

Same goes for me. I can't keep jumping in and saying that HE90 are the best because someone has already told me that they're not the best, so they must not be.

The HE90 can only become the bet again if someone else would now say that the HE90 are better than the GS1000. But of course it doesn't have to be the HE90. It could be any headphones other than the taket h2 (which Doug has just learned are not as good as the GS1000).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back