The "I don't like the 'Sennheiser sound'" Thread
Aug 27, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #61 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
To answer the original poster's question. What I like about the HD 650 is its poised performance and overall coherency. The midrange is velvetly smooth, the bass is not the tightest but groovy with sufficient oomph, and the slightly subdued treble level (not extension) is just right for my tastes when used in conjunction with an upgrade cable like the Zu, Headphile or Moon Audio offerings. The soundstage has good depth and height and together with the diffuse-field equalization, the presentation of auditory space is very convincing and natural to my ears. Great for jazz and classical music; very good for pop and electronica, too.

The veil is usually only there when compared directly to other headphones like the RS-1, SA5000, AKG K1000 or other more bright headphones. However, when comparing other headphones to the HD 650, those feel like having an unnatural "bling" surrounding the notes. The overall presentation can be regarded as world-weariness but for me it's more like seeing through things after the glow's worn off. The mood albeit a tad on the somber side of neutral, conveys a sense of humble joy notwithstanding.

Further, it's built like a brick and has yet to show any quality issues despite me stepping on the headphones on an almost daily basis. Further, the egg-shaped earcup is perfect for lying-in-pillow listening sessions and the comfort, once the headband is stretched, is second to only the Sony MDR F1.

Good job, a sensible account -- I especially appreciated the sentence where you tried to translate into words the "disposition" of the headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #62 of 103
Well you Senn fans have been holding your ground well especially around the HD-650.
600smile.gif
Very inticing actually! I'm serious now when I say that I'd love to try the Senn King along side my SA-5000's. Anyone willing to let me borrow them for a test? I live outside Philadelphia or I'll pay for shipping and insurance. I promise I will take good care of them.

Aug 27, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #63 of 103
I think your millet may be too dark of an amp for it, you might like them more with a more clinical, leaner sounding SS amp. Also you might like them more with one of the aftermarket cables. And keep in mind that you are coming off of reportedly bright headphones. Try the senns with bright source material like hendrix's "little wing" or "one rainy wish" - I still think we may make a senn fan out of you yet.

To me there is no doubt that the 580/600/650 line of headphones are some of the best headphones being made (I'll assume you were being facetious when you said no one could enjoy them), but I agree that they can feel a little "lifeless" with too warm of an amp, especially in comparison to DT880. I really wish I owned 650 w/zu but I'm pretty sure I would still listen to the 880s more, and with the 650s so expensive by comparison it doesn't seem worth it.

Aug 27, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #64 of 103
I heard some recabled HD600s and HD650s over a recent two-day meet, and I am quite preplexed about their sound. First thing I noticed was the veil, and no matter what source, amp or music I thew at it the veil is always there. Some will insist HD600/650 is perfectly neutal and has the purest midrange. But in that meet I also heard more than a dozen of hi-end headphones from Stax, Sony, Audio Technica, AKG, Beyer, Shure, Ety and Ultimate Ears, all of which do not have the Sennheiser veil to my ears. I beleive that the Sennheiser veil is a kind of distortion, and I have never heard this kind of veil in live concerts. Also, I was not very impressed with HD650 with rock, pop or jazz. For rock/pop I would prefer SR225 or higher Grados, and for jazz I like DT880 a lot. HD650 seems to be excellent for classical, because of warmth and smoothness. But K1000, R10 and Omega II seem to do classical even better (and more expensive). HD650 has lots of deep bass, but that seems to muddy other parts of the spectrum. To me HD650 is not a "reference" headphone becuase it is not GREAT for anything. Don't get me wrong, HD650 is furthest thing from mediocrity. It sounds very good, but not great, with all kinds of music. I honestly don't think of a more versatile full-size headphone out there, except for maybe the HE90 which I have never heard.

Since the perception of the HD580/600/650 veil is highly personal, just like many other things in audio, it does not suprise me that some people can't stand the veil. It also does not surprise me that some people would say "what veil?" and fall into a trance of bliss when they put on HD650. If I can own only one hi-end headphone, it would probably be HD650. Then I would work very hard at source, amp and perhaps cable to lessen the veil. Fortunately, I do have K1000 for classical and SR225 for rock/pop, and hence no real need for HD650. If I could get a DT880 for jazz I would be all set. I think it will take K1000, SR-225 and DT880 with 2-3 matching amps to completely outdo a good HD650 system. That is why I revere HD580/600/650 line of headphones. It is hard for me find fault with HD650, except for the veil. Each person has to use his own ear to decide how bad that veil is for himself.

Aug 28, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #65 of 103
*puts on flame suit*

i've owned alot of headphones. are the senn's perfect? no. imo, there is no perfect headphone. the senn's are too boring and plain for some types of music and recordings. i would suggest two or three headphones. for example, the beyer dt880 is great with jazz, classical, softer rock. pair that up with a can that excels at electronic (dt990) or rock (grado) and you will have the best of both worlds. if you try to use one headphone for all types of music you will be left dissapointed by expecting the utmost quality from each genre presented.

i think everyone should A) get a good source (according to budget) B) get a nice, strong, clean amp (don't skimp) C) buy a couple headphones which excel in their respective category D) be happy knowing there is no perfect 'all in one' headphone

thank you.

Aug 28, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #66 of 103
I like my HD600s enough to keep around but not enough to listen to on a regular bases. My Grados are just too fun.
rs1smile.gif
I do prefer my Senns for movies and gaming because the dramatic increase in volume that comes from a gun shot, or what not, doesn't kill my eardrums like the Grados would.

Aug 28, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #67 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
*puts on flame suit*

i've owned alot of headphones. are the senn's perfect? no. imo, there is no perfect headphone. the senn's are too boring and plain for some types of music and recordings. i would suggest two or three headphones. for example, the beyer dt880 is great with jazz, classical, softer rock. pair that up with a can that excels at electronic (dt990) or rock (grado) and you will have the best of both worlds. if you try to use one headphone for all types of music you will be left dissapointed by expecting the utmost quality from each genre presented.

i think everyone should A) get a good source (according to budget) B) get a nice, strong, clean amp (don't skimp) C) buy a couple headphones which excel in their respective category D) be happy knowing there is no perfect 'all in one' headphone

thank you.

Agreed.
If one owns 3 good headphones, maybe two amps would be a good idea so that each headphone can sound at its best.

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #68 of 103
I have remained silent on threads like this since the Senn 595s were my first high end can and I hadn't had the chance to listen to any other high end sound.

Now that I have the SA5000s I must say that I don't think I was or ever will be a Senn man at heart.

One track really opened my eyes, Atari Teenage Riot - Auf Nazi's(an anti nazi song with a German title I don't recall all of) it is a song recorded live, on my Senn 595s an mp3 of the song sounded decent, if far away.

On the SA5000s, it sounds like you are there, on stage listening to the song. I just thought "oh wow, just wow" when I heard it. So intimate.

While I have NOT heard the 650s, I don't think I would enjoy them, if they are darker than the "bright" 595s.

The 650s really are a sacred cow on this forum. You can say ANYTHING negative about any other can safely, but you say one negative thing about them and be prepared to find out how bad you source is, how cheap your amp is, how bad the cable is, how your ears aren't up to snuff, and how, you are just plain Wrong.

Of course when the HD700s are released, the 650s will then become worthless to these same people....

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #69 of 103
thats it! i am buying some grados so i can have an opinion too! bastards.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 28, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #70 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmorangie
thats it! i am buying some grados so i can have an opinion too! bastards.
rolleyes.gif

I would, but I already own two pairs of Grados. I think a high-end headphone system can be achieved with Grados, Sonys, and Senns, but a headphone is only a part of the equation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #71 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
I heard some recabled HD600s and HD650s over a recent two-day meet, and I am quite preplexed about their sound. First thing I noticed was the veil, and no matter what source, amp or music I thew at it the veil is always there. Some will insist HD600/650 is perfectly neutal and has the purest midrange. But in that meet I also heard more than a dozen of hi-end headphones from Stax, Sony, Audio Technica, AKG, Beyer, Shure, Ety and Ultimate Ears, all of which do not have the Sennheiser veil to my ears. I beleive that the Sennheiser veil is a kind of distortion, and I have never heard this kind of veil in live concerts. Also, I was not very impressed with HD650 with rock, pop or jazz. For rock/pop I would prefer SR225 or higher Grados, and for jazz I like DT880 a lot. HD650 seems to be excellent for classical, because of warmth and smoothness. But K1000, R10 and Omega II seem to do classical even better (and more expensive). HD650 has lots of deep bass, but that seems to muddy other parts of the spectrum. To me HD650 is not a "reference" headphone becuase it is not GREAT for anything. Don't get me wrong, HD650 is furthest thing from mediocrity. It sounds very good, but not great, with all kinds of music. I honestly don't think of a more versatile full-size headphone out there, except for maybe the HE90 which I have never heard.

Your point of view seems perfectly referable to saint.panda's previous description.

Aug 28, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #73 of 103
yes...slideshow
i wanna see those aggressive little grados rip the drivers right out of the senns!

Aug 28, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #75 of 103
Woud you mind telling me which brand of headphones on earth ain't disliked by a whole lot of people??
blink.gif

Do tell!
very_evil_smiley.gif

580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back