The Hype is Real
Apr 20, 2010 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
Oh my jumpin' Jesus! I just got my HD800 and it's everything they said about it and more! I haven't burned these in. I'm running off of ground zero. I don't even have them hooked up to an amp of any kind. I'm running these suckers straight off my iPod - and they're unbelievable!

Mind you, my iPod is having a hellacious time powering these headphones, and with such anemic powering the tonal balance remains a little tinny, but the level of detail is superb! I'm literally going through my iPod, finding new details in old songs and it's as if a little genie came along and remastered all my old CDs.

Take, for example, Dizzy Gillespie's "On the Sunny Side of the Street," from Sonny Side Up. With these phones, you can hear that tiniest bit of space between the perception of horns meeting the same musical mark and the human reality. That tiny parallax makes the recording more real, more nuanced, and more interesting. My poor iPod is barely cranking out George Thorogood's "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer," but even on the edge of ampliblivion, the pick work is a 12-course meal. The Wallflowers' "One Headlight" both smacks and yields space, even while the vocals remain as intimate as a sidebar. The guitars never overwhelm but the mids are never recessed, either. It's another full-course meal right off the plate of FM-radio offerings from the nineties. On Bob Marley's "One Love," the unamped bass is almost as prominent as the cymbals. The vocals are crisp and the balance between the three is perfect, with nothing getting sacrificed just to give prominence to something else.

I'm still geeking out through the Eagle's "One of These Nights." Everything is there - from popping bass, through the lush mixture of guitar tracks and high hats. The vocals are prominent but neither out in front or buried within the instrumentation. Good God, I could eat this sound. That lead guitar is as scrumptious as those backing vocals. These headphones are fast, fast enough to reveal not only the extra little fuzz on Joan Obsborne's "One of Us," but the wah-wahs in her vocals and the otherwise-imperceptible seams between the separate tracks that were layered to make it sound as if this were a single recording rather than an assembly of parts. On Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time," there's an effect (I lack the vocabulary to properly describe) where the acoustic-guitar intro that sounds like a discrete series of quarter notes walking up and down a major seventh scale turns out to be a doubling of eighth notes run together with both sides of the pick, run just long enough to chime like little bells but played in short enough succession to create a kind of mirroring that just sparkles.

With these cans, you can really get your analytical freak on.

I haven't begun to burn these in yet, nor have I stopped to plug in my amp. I first wanted to know what to expect if all I had was a naked iPod (fig leaf not included). The slightly sugary-sweet presentation must be where the 702 crowd thinks their darling holds a candle to the HD800. No doubt, both phones open up the sound stage in ways that lead to comparison, but even unamped, the HD800 is more balanced and the detail is unparalleled. And with respect to bass, I'm listening to Cherish's "Only One," which is crisp to the point of sibilance - and yet the bass (at least in the intro before it gets drowned out by busy vocals) just bounces. Is Enya's "Only Time" as throbbing as it could be without an amp? No, but even a track as plastic and synthetic as that one yields detail after detail - from the finger-nail-tapping-like texture of that rhythmic synthetic plucking to that weird clap-snap artifact at around 16 seconds (around the words "road goes").

As with my first pair of Grados, I feel like I'm uncovering the painting beneath the painting. The presentation could use a little more punch (from the amp I'm depriving myself of at the moment) but I can't fault these cans for balance, nor do they strike me as remotely unengaging. I briefly owned a pair of HD650s, which werelike the HD800s in some respect (comfort, balance, a sense of space) but these cans seem to mock the complaint that Sennheiser cans are unengaging. They answer the question as to whether you can have it both ways - balance and earnest passion. Sum 41's "Open Your Eyes" is no less in-your-face on the HD800. It just doesn't color some part of the frequency spectrum to the detriment of another. Supernova's "Oreo" is as insane on these cans as on any other (while the garage-sound of that little bit of feedback whine just leaps out on "Our Way" every bit as much as that cowboy-like "yeeeehaaaaaaa").

If anything, these cans have put the excitement back into the music. I feel the way I did when I went from cassette to LPs and realized how much more energy there was. They make my iTunes downloads sound more like records than anything I've ever heard. REO Speedwagon's "Out of Season" took me back - three decades - like that food critic in Ratatouille. The Clash's "Overpowered by Funk" has new life. Van Halen's "Panama" is sibilant but incendiary. There's so much raw energy here, the obscenity is back. Cocked and loaded, the safety is off.

Some suggest that analytical phones are a bad choice, that they reveal too much. I suppose they do, if you're simple and you like your music that way. I think I much prefer the idea of complexity. That's my life. That's my world. That, apparently, is also my music. If your house is filled with Greek busts, you might want to stick to something that preserves the perception of seamlessness. At this point in life, I prefer the unforgiving creases of those Roman portraits. I've always been put off by Sennheiser's appropriation of the "HD" prefix to so many of their products, as if insulting the public's intelligence by confusing a visual term of art with the characteristics of an auditory tool. This time, however, I think Sennheiser has stolen it fair and square. If nothing else, the HD800 is a "high-definition" headphone.

And that's with both hands tied behind its back.

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 70
Nice
biggrin.gif

First review on HD800 running off iPod
beerchug.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 70
It's funny how so many people didn't like analytical headphones until sennheiser turned their dynamic flagship into one.
rolleyes.gif

Nice bit of text youve got here
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The slightly sugary-sweet presentation must be where the 702 crowd thinks their darling holds a candle to the HD800.

Quote:

even unamped, the HD800 is more balanced and the detail is unparalleled

I think these two pieces of text were entirely uncessary however, and I would argue that, by measurement alone that there are several headphones have more detail and a cleaner image than the HD800 - particularly when unamped.

I'm not sure whether the 702 part was a joke on your part or not, but I've never really seen anyone I take seriously say that the 702 is better or as good as the HD800. What I have seen however is an attitude that "we liked analytical before sennheiser", and the notion that the HD800 took design and sound cues from the Sony SA series, Qualia and K70x. I just happen to agree with this (particularly the k701), not so much in sound, but because the k70x was released as an "HD6XX killer", and now sennheiser has effectively 1-uped them (but certainly not in value for money).

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 70
Hi Bill:

You jumped and got them...Congrats! I'm actually listening to mine as I write this and they certainly are impressive. I would strongly recommend a good tube amp to drive them...just spectacular.

Here's to many years of musical enjoyment
beerchug.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny how so many people didn't like analytical headphones until sennheiser turned their dynamic flagship into one.
rolleyes.gif

Nice bit of text youve got here
beerchug.gif

I think these two pieces of text were entirely uncessary however, and I would argue that, by measurement alone that there are several headphones have more detail and a cleaner image than the HD800 - particularly when unamped.

I'm not sure whether the 702 part was a joke on your part or not, but I've never really seen anyone I take seriously say that the 702 is better or as good as the HD800. What I have seen however is an attitude that "we liked analytical before sennheiser", and the notion that the HD800 took design and sound cues from the Sony SA series, Qualia and K70x. I just happen to agree with this (particularly the k701), not so much in sound, but because the k70x was released as an "HD6XX killer", and now sennheiser has effectively 1-uped them (but certainly not in value for money).

Not me.. I been praising analytical since I got my pair of DT48a in 08..
L3000.gif
The HD800 does sound like a remarkable headphone, & the ones I can realistically get..

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 70
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

DT880's + SS amp here.....
I like both sounds, but for my home rig = analytical and balanced sounding. Fun sounding = portable.
the HD800 are definitely a class above (both in price and performance) than the usual mid-tiers.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 70
Quote:

Which ones did you have in mind?

Quote:

I'm not sure whether the 702 part was a joke on your part or not, but I've never really seen anyone I take seriously say that the 702 is better or as good as the HD800.

It wasn't a joke. I'm not a 702 basher. I rather like the 702 and was surprised at some of the vitriol hurled in its direction. The 702 is dirt cheap, cool looking, equally comfortable and luxuriously spacious. Both phones, however, need to be amped. The open-air emphasis on clear, low-resonance, highs - at the expense of bass - is common to both phones. That was the point of the comparison.

Quote:

What I have seen however is an attitude that "we liked analytical before sennheiser", and the notion that the HD800 took design and sound cues from the Sony SA series, Qualia and K70x. I just happen to agree with this (particularly the k701), not so much in sound, but because the k70x was released as an "HD6XX killer", and now sennheiser has effectively 1-uped them (but certainly not in value for money).

Well, if it's an argument about value for the money, my Chevy Cavalier beats Ferrari in that category, but I've heard the Ferrari is more fun to drive.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 70
Congratulations!!!

The HD800 are the most analytical phone I have ever heard. Just wait till you get amp and source, you can make them less analytical or more, according to preference.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 70
Quote:

Oh my jumpin' Jesus! I just got my HD800 and it's everything they said about it and more! I haven't burned these in. I'm running off of ground zero. I don't even have them hooked up to an amp of any kind. I'm running these suckers straight off my iPod - and they're unbelievable!

And that's with both hands tied behind its back.

Congratulations Bill! I love your reaction and your initial impressions were very fun to read. Enjoy that bad boy. I look forward to hearing more positive raving from you in the coming days. It only gets better with burn in and you're going to find that the HD800 allows you to hear the character of whatever amp/source you're using like no other. It truly is an amazing achievement and a milestone in the world of headphones.

Quote:

rolleyes.gif

What's really funny is that you would actually imply that there was an analytical headphone anywhere close to the caliber of the HD800 prior to its arrival on the scene.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

I would argue that, by measurement alone that there are several headphones have more detail and a cleaner image than the HD800 - particularly when unamped.

Name one that isn't an electrostatic and under $1,400.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First review on HD800 running off iPod
beerchug.gif

COOL !!

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 70
Quote:

And you're in no way contributing to any hype?

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 70
I've loved my 800's for the start. Glad to see another jump on the same flagship! If you thought they sounded superb off your iPod wait till you hook them up to an amp.
beerchug.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 70
Hmm, interesting. For the laughs, I just tried the HD-800s out of my iPhone, and it wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting. It would do in a pinch for casual listening. The treble was relatively harsh and separation was seriously lacking, but it wasn't unlistenable.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 70
Great, now how am I going to justify getting these? I haven't even got the HE-5LE yet. LoL In all seriousness, I would probably jump on these if the AKG flagship weren't looming out there somewhere. In a perfect world I'd get all the flagships and compare them and end up with the perfect pair. But sanity must prevail. The OP's review and my Canadian buddy make it difficult to maintain restraint with the Senn HD800 though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you're in no way contributing to any hype?

Did he ever say he wasn't?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back