The Hyland Headphones Saturn One, Saturn Two and Jupiter One thread
Oct 18, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #108 of 246
Here's my take on the Saturn One, a highly enjoyable pair of headphones:

https://soundperfectionreviews.com/review-hyland-saturn-one/

DSC_6083.JPG

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #109 of 246
ostewart, thank you for doing the review and the great pictures!

Bigbenfan99 I believe that those are the headphones that you have coming to you. Like everyone else on this thread, I really enjoy Alex's craftsmanship and the way that he tunes his creations.

Alex has been very busy after the birth of his second child. Something tells me that he has been working on ways of improving his Saturn platform even more.

Watch this space!

Oct 22, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #112 of 246
Here are a couple of Hyland Headphone trivia questions for you.

1. How many rings does the planet Saturn have?

2. What planet orbits adjacent to and inside of Saturn's orbit?

I believe the answers are "3" and "Jupiter"? Also, another fun fact is Jupiter is about about 20% larger than Saturn. But what does this have to do with Hyland...

Oct 22, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #113 of 246
One visible ring trisected by two invisible rings????

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #114 of 246
My Saturn One arrived today! I'm very impressed with the shipping speed, as the headphones were delivered (in the US) only 8 days after I placed my order. My quick impressions compared to my Grado GH4 (using a Bifrost 2 and a Lyr 3):
-The Saturn One is more comfortable, although I don't have any problem with the GH4's comfort. Both are very light in weight and have low clamping force, though the Saturn One has more clamping force.
-I like the Saturn One's design which allows for a lot of movement and rotation of the cups. I doubt anyone would have difficulty getting a good fit.
-The Saturn One definitely has more bass and a significantly bigger soundstage
-I think the bass quality is about equal, but different; the Saturn one has more body/weight to the bass, but I would describe the GH4's bass as being tighter. Neither one has the overall bass quality of the LCD-2 for instance, but they're both very good.
-The GH4 has more forward mids
-I would give the edge to the Saturn One in vocals, but only because the GH4 can have a tendency to make vocals sound a little harsh at times
-Guitars sound much better to me on the GH4 (more forward with detail/crunch and more defined plucks)

I think they are both great, and I suspect that the Saturn One would be a "safer" choice which has a more "pleasant" sound that most people would prefer. The slightly better vocals, bigger soundstage, and increased bass quantity are properties that make the Saturn One an easy recommendation if you listen to a wide variety of music. For me, most of my library consists of guitar-driven rock, so I will probably end up keeping the GH4 and selling the Saturn One. I will definitely give it more time before making that decision.

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #115 of 246
Hey BBF99,

Great observations and comparisons with your GH4. Since your Saturn One was a reviewer unit, it should have been burned in a bit before you received it. You may find that your opinion may change a bit after you get more head time in.

I got into this hobby after listening to CDs on a PS3 with a cheap pair of Turtle Beach headphones. When I first starting viewing this forum, I couldn't understand why anyone needed more than one pair of headphones. Then I drank the Kool Aid and started rolling through a lot of cans and amps trying to see their differences and discover "my" sound.

Now I have five very satisfying headphones and two amps to drive them. I choose the headphone and amp combination based on what type of music that I want to listen to during that session. Sometimes I change headphones during a session because that combination was not hitting my hot button or matching my music mood. They all get weekly play time.

My point would be, as you move back and forth between the GH4 and the Saturns, you may find which type of music or even artists matches best with each headphone. The goal would be to find the right combination to maximize your listening experience.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #116 of 246
" Necessity is the Mother of Invention"

A well worn adage that we are all aware of. 2019 was a very eventful year for Alex of Hyland headphones.

• A successful launch and positive critical reviews for his Saturn One headphones.
  • The birth of a child.
  • Moving his shop to a new location.
  • Attending Can Jam 2019 in London.
  • The driver source for his Saturn One creation becoming no longer available.
Quite a lot for a dedicated hand crafted headphone maker. He used his time wisely and while at Can Jam in London he had the opportunity to compare his Saturn One against some of the best and most expensive headphones on the market. He came away thinking that his Saturn One matched up pretty well and he knew exactly what he wanted from his next driver and headphone creation. He focused on one headphone line to to tune their enveloping warmth,size and smoothness in the treble into his new design.

Welcome to the headphone world the new creation from Hyland Headphones, The Saturn Two. I received mine on Wednesday and here are two pictures of my Saturn One and Saturn Two side by side. The Saturn Two is in the fore ground. I will post listening impressions after a bit more burn in. But my initial thoughts before I knew which can that Alex tuned his to driver to match, were spot on with his target when I shared my impressions with him. If you love the Saturn One, the Saturn Two will impress you even more!

The website will go live this weekend. A Jupiter edition is also being offered for those who do not enjoy the Grado cushions.

Well done and congratulations Alex!

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #118 of 246
The website is updated now. Looking forward your impressions.

I need just a little more head and comparison time but I will give you a hint. After two days with the Saturn Two, I sold my ZMF Auteur on Head Fi over the weekend.
The sound signature that Alex has tuned into the 50 mm drivers is a force to be reckoned with, imo.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #119 of 246
I need just a little more head and comparison time but I will give you a hint. After two days with the Saturn Two, I sold my ZMF Auteur on Head Fi over the weekend.
The sound signature that Alex has tuned into the 50 mm drivers is a force to be reckoned with, imo.
Looking forward to receiving mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back