The HiSoundAudio AMP3 PRO1 "Audiophile" MP3 Player: A Pathetic Piece of Garbage
Mar 2, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #46 of 100
Even taking away DFKT's review the RMAA tests reveal a lot and under no circumstances should a piece of equipment being pushed toward the audiophile community that costs that much test that badly.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #47 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by yo43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I spent some time going through that massive PFE thread and some others using search, and two HF members, cn11 and Kobayashi, pretty much said the PFEs were garbage. In fact, cn11's post was in a thread about the worst headphones you ever purchased, and he listed the PFEs. I am sure there are more. Again, my point was not to bash the PFEs at all, because they appear to be a decent product. My point was that one man's garbage can be another person's perfectly acceptable piece of gear - if you know that you are buying.

Well done but you forgot one last member
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5516185-post2089.html

The AMP3 is probably acceptable in terms of SQ with certain headphones, but DFKT's review also treats other aspects like user interface. The AMP3 would be nice if it could drive high impedance headphones... but it's not even the case according to shigzeo. I've never heard it but i feel there's too much hype about these chinese DAPs... the s:flo 2 that i own isn't any better than the Clip either.

Quote:

dfkt has credibility, sure. But he is also the same person who has trashed the RE0 as pretty much worthless junk

What's the thing with the junk word?
Here's what he said in his review:
Quote:

The RE0 are very nice dynamic driver in-ear phones. Actually they’re among the most balanced and precise I’ve heard so far (no, unfortunately I haven’t heard the Sennheiser IE8 yet). (...)

You can't have it both ways man.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #48 of 100
What a troll.....should Hisoundaudio be renamed to Hisscrapaudio?

Being a portable player means that it should be able to use ALL types of portable headphones, regardless of impedence. It shouldn't sound good in a specific setup, no. To be a great DAP, it should have all the bases covered, and what dfkt did was expose the fluff surrounding the AMP3.....TBH, I didn't get the hype surrounding it...it looks like crap and the UI looks cobbled together. This is why players like the Clip or Clip Plus have survived for so long....me thinks this 'fad' will soon fade.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #49 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengkia369 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look how cheapskate this player looks! What! this ish year 2010 still using this kind of LED screen?!

for me, i would throw this damn thing inside the rubbish bin!
frown.gif

Yeah... and that sansa clip... what piece of 1990s garbage. 3 line screen? Pfft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamnine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If dfkt says it's 5hit, then it's 5hit. End of.

Priceless.

Quote:

Ok, I spent some time going through that massive PFE thread and some others using search, and two HF members, cn11 and Kobayashi, pretty much said the PFEs were garbage. In fact, cn11's post was in a thread about the worst headphones you ever purchased, and he listed the PFEs. I am sure there are more. Again, my point was not to bash the PFEs at all, because they appear to be a decent product. My point was that one man's garbage can be another person's perfectly acceptable piece of gear - if you know that you are buying.

To be fair Kobayashi does that to every FOTM. Trolls will keep trollin'.

In principle I agree with yo43 but the cheap shots are unnecessary and bringing up any other piece of gear is pointless. In the end one opinion is just that. For half the posts in this thread "I've never heard it... but" is a crucial disclaimer. I, for one, like how the amp3 is built, but that's just my opinion. DFKT's review is pretty harsh - I don't think I've ever seen anything so caustic written on this forum except for a few of nikongod's posts. I have to say that the word 'libel' came to my mind for a second as well on the first read-through. But he's perfectly entitled to posting it without coming under personal scrutiny or attacks on his objectivity.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #50 of 100
Cheap shots are not needed, but I guess I would consider the original review to be a prototypical example of a cheap shot. Yes, the Amp3 was certainly far from fully baked. Yet, several respected HFers (no need to list them all), not shills or straw men, bought it and liked it, but also pointed out its many fruistrations and imperfections if you read the entire Amp3 thread.

The timing of this review is laughable, as is the idea that because the Amp3 was flawed its sellers/makers are criminals, and there is no chance there will be any improvements in upcoming HSA models.

The review had little value at all in fact. Those who like dfkt think HSA products are garbage will feel good about not buying, and those of us who see the promise coming from the original Amp3 feel much differently.

Shigzeo is right. They are trying to develop new products, and either they will sink or swim. But no one deserves the harsh treatment that came from that review, especially since there are credible HFers on the other side of the issue, and their opinions count for something too.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #51 of 100
Quote:

Cheap shots are not needed, but I guess I would consider the original review to be a prototypical example of a cheap shot. Yes, the Amp3 was certainly far from fully baked. Yet, several respected HFers (no need to list them all), not shills or straw men, bought it and liked it, but also pointed out its many fruistrations and imperfections if you read the entire Amp3 thread.

The timing of this review is laughable, as is the idea that because the Amp3 was flawed its sellers/makers are criminals, and there is no chance there will be any improvements in upcoming HSA models.

The review had little value at all in fact. Those who like dfkt think HSA products are garbage will feel good about not buying, and those of us who see the promise coming from the original Amp3 feel much differently.

Shigzeo is right. They are trying to develop new products, and either they will sink or swim. But no one deserves the harsh treatment that came from that review, especially since there are credible HFers on the other side of the issue, and their opinions count for something too.

Hopefully the newer models will live up the the billing the original got, but if you charge a high price for a supposed audiophile grade portable player and fall so short on almost every level you definitely deserve some backlash.

No player that costs as much as the AMP3 should measure so badly or be so limited in what headphones you can effectively use with it like it is or have an interface as bad is this player.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #52 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So everyone and their dog have been feverishly awaiting the arrival of the new Jesus players for audiophiles, the HiSoundAudio RoCoo and AMP3 PRO2, or STUDIO 1, or HAROLD, or whatever it's called. I don't care; I'm too lazy to look up what fancy names they made up to extract some more money from your wallet.

I borrowed the older AMP3 PRO1 from a friend, and I'm speechless that it's actually worse than I thought it would be. A lot worse. A lot.

_MG_9044.jpg
_MG_9047.jpg

So the con artists who made that piece of crap allegedly stuck some "Class A" amp in it and called it a day. No wait, I give you the whole marketspeech drivel, it's even more awesome. That hunk of junk has a: "PDAA - Portable Digital Acoustic Amplifier". Sounds super manly and all astonishing and science-y, eh?

Too bad it actually sounds worse than your average decent brand player. I've tested it against the Sansa Clip and the Cowon S9, volume-matched to within 0.5dB - and both sound better than the AMP3, no matter what phones. Well, with IEMs the AMP3 is actually completely unusable, it hisses more than the FiiO E3 or the Minibox-E+. The hiss is louder than on any other player I've ever heard - and that includes $5 DealExtreme players. It hisses constantly, and it hisses and warbles some more when accessing the memory. "Class A", my ass. How about building an MP3 player that actually works, not some useless piece of crap sold with the help of fancy sounding rubbish and lies?

_MG_9048.jpg
_MG_9050.jpg

_MG_9054.jpg
_MG_9056.jpg

The firmware matches the rest of the stinker. It's something some script kiddie cobbled together on a spare afternoon it seems. The player has extremely slow bootup, a sluggish UI, terrible usability, an awful file browser, and the list goes on. It's almost impossible finding an audio track with the sorry excuse of the braindead mix of ID3 and folder browsing they implemented on the crappy 3-line display. The player crashed on me a few times, and the ripoff iPod Shuffle controls are abysmal to operate. They react to every 3rd or 4th press if you're lucky.

It's plain pathetic, only a true con artist would sell such a piece of garbage for that ridiculous price, and have the nerve to call it an "audiophile" product. I pity the poor souls that fell for all these lies. But then again there's a lot of peer pressure on forums, and rarely anybody likes to admit that they fell for a scam - and so the lies spread. Anyways, enough of that - this player has no redeeming features. None at all, it's all bad, sad, and pathetic about it. Well, the battery life should be nice. No wonder since it's such a brick.

The AMP3 PRO1 is so extremely bad in every aspect; it's the ultimate in "Emperor's New Clothes". Just needs a $500 cryo-treated USB cable that matches the player. But seriously, I hope this writeup serves as a warning to people who are actually considering buying some dubious piece of hardware from some shady Chinese manufacturer with no moral standards (and their European or American strawmen).

Here's my RMAA test of that pathetic piece of junk: RMAA - AMP3 vs. Sansa Clip+. Results aren't even mediocre. I don't think I have to add anything to that.

Frequency response:

fr.png

THD:

thd.png

IMD:

imd.png

Stereo crosstalk:

ct.png

I don't believe what I just have read. DFKT are you really serious when you wrote those words about AMP3? Did you ever listen this player at all? I must ask you because I have a feeling that you never did, now I am serious. AMP3, no meter if you like or not the design, is the best sounding player I ever tested! Superior player sompared to any other fashy looking, multy touch, with WiFi, GPS, cooker, owen or whatever....they all have everything else, but not a good sound. So, simple, classy design, so GREAT SOUND AMP3 produces. I can't wait to see new product line from the same manufacturer. As I know this is the very first model they brought. DFKT, I have a feeling that you were not serious when you 'borrowed the player just for us to test it'. Hey, can anybody believe you? Please do NOT borrow [/U]any more players for testing. He he he

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #53 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully the newer models will live up the the billing the original got, but if you charge a high price for a supposed audiophile grade portable player and fall so short on almost every level you definitely deserve some backlash.

No player that costs as much as the AMP3 should measure so badly or be so limited in what headphones you can effectively use with it like it is or have an interface as bad is this player.

We are in agreement about the Amp3 in that it was flawed, and if you read over the original posts, no one billed it as having a great UI or even reliability/solid firmware. Also, there was plenty of backlash from otherwise satisfied owners (because they did like the SQ). When I bought mine, I was ready for those hassles, but I also found the "hype" over the sound to be justified for my uses. On that we disagree, because I don't believe it falls short on the SQ level.

I don't care about measurements to be honest, I care about what my ears hear (and granted, maybe I am not on the same level as dfkt since his ears can ascertain the truth better than many other HF members it seems).

Apart from some early declarations, most owners on the thread seem to have acknowledged that the Amp3 was frustrating on many levels, yet almost to the person, at least as I read it, they did find the SQ to be very unique and high quality.

Anyway, I'm not going to waste more time on it because the absurd part of all this is the thing isn't even for sale any more. What upsets me most (and got me to sign up for membership) is that with one fell swoop, and in a mean and very hostile manner, one member proclaims that his view of a piece of gear is the definitive view - and that is so very far from the truth it's ridiculous.

Like the rest of the pathetic sheep, I am looking forward to reading more of the reviews of the Rocoo and Studio I. I might even buy one of those as well.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #54 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounded? Not using those headphones any more? Are you in Busan?

i am from busan...
i purchased esw10jpn twice and sold it twice....do not ask me why.....i am just dumb like that..

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #55 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by markt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe what I just have read. ...

Funny when you look at your statistics, how many more are going to join just to prop up this below par over priced junk of a DAP
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #57 of 100
RMAA test are not the end all be all, but come on the amp3 looks like some 3rd rate radio shack player in the graphs. A high quality, expensive, well made portable audio device should excel at these basic tests.

Did they even bother to measure the device before selling it for such an absurd price? They could have easily measured the beta units and fixed whatever issue was causing the high THD, stereo cross talk and enormous bass roll off. This would have allowed what ever high quality components they did use to shine through without the noise clutter. There may be a high end portable device buried in all that noise but it's pretty pointless to have released it as is.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #59 of 100
dfkt-
I wanted to take a moment and let you know that I agree 100% with your thoughts here. Kudos for having the courage to post something like this, your honest, genuine impressions/disappointment. I posted my criticisms early in the amp3 thread (yes, I had to try it out based on all the flying hype at the time, but wound up returning it based on all the same points you share here), and took a lot of heat for my 'dissenting' opinions... very similar to the heat you're taking from newbie yo43.

I appreciate your willingness to just tell the truth the way you hear it.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #60 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dftk-
I wanted to take a moment and let you know that I agree 100% with your thoughts here. Kudos for having the courage to post something like this, your honest, genuine impressions/disappointment. I posted my criticisms early in the amp3 thread (yes, I had to try it out based on all the flying hype at the time, but wound up returning it based on all the same points you share here), and took a lot of heat for my 'dissenting' opinions... very similar to the heat you're taking from newbie yo43.

I appreciate your willingness to just tell the truth the way you hear it.

I agree, as dfkt did what Gieco does, he saved me money!!!!!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back