The HiSoundAudio AMP3 PRO1 "Audiophile" MP3 Player: A Pathetic Piece of Garbage
Mar 2, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #31 of 100
A little late with the review there, dfkt
tongue.gif

Though I've never been a huge fan of the amp3, I have to agree with shigzeo saying that it seems built for higher loads. 16 ohms is one thing (the hiss should be fair warning that it's not meant for such low loads), but try plugging a 90-ohm JVC HA-DX3 into a clip/fuze and the amp3 starts making all kinds of sense.

And I don't understand all the gloating in this thread from people who've never heard the player. It's one thing to be skeptical of the whole amp3 craze (or any other head-fi obsession that seems to occur whenever new products are released). But it's totally different to gasconade one's own clairvoyance in not getting an amp3 at the first negative review.

Just my .02$... Hope this doesn't turn into a bloodbath like the early amp3 thread...

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #32 of 100
^^ well said Joker.

I tend to think that it is more of a home player/amp rather than a portable. If its GUI worked better and suffered no freezes (I get loads), it would be decent for ~100Ω heaadphones and earphones, but unfortunately, that isn't the case.

Indeed, gasconading ones smarts in going another road doesn't make sense - it reminds me of the iPod bashing which is incessant and stupid. But, even on the bus, I take too much noise from the headphone output of the AMP3 with ANY iem. If hiss alone wasn't present, it performs pretty similarly to every single DAP out there, with the only proviso that its Class A circuitry should be able to represent the entire 360º of an audio waveform.

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #35 of 100
There are some funny guys in here (and I don't mean shigzeo or joker). Of course Hisoundaudio is being judged by how they treated their customers in the past. What's wrong with that? And of course the shills are being judged by what they posted about the AMP3 not so long ago. What did you expect?

dfkt, thanks for your review, just because it comes a bit late doesn't mean it is any less valid. In fact it serves as a good reminder to bring a healthy dose of scepticism when you come here and take your time to (re)search before you buy.

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #36 of 100
look how cheapskate this player looks! What! this ish year 2010 still using this kind of LED screen?!

for me, i would throw this damn thing inside the rubbish bin!
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #38 of 100
Amazing, nobody criticized my take on the AMP3's firmware/UI/usability yet... are people really only interested in how it sounds, even if it's a complete usability disaster as well?
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoy your called us who love the sound quality of AMP3 as "strawmen".

I basically meant the guys who sell it, those who told such blatant lies to get the hype machinery going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzhenyun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, DFKT, I am pity on you, Could you tell us what did Hisoundaudio displease you?
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

They made an awful botched product that doesn't deserve any other review. That they fixed some of the flaws in a newer model doesn't justify releasing this PRO 1 at all. After all, I don't think people who bought the PRO 1 got a free upgrade to the PRO 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rymd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunno about this. My AMP3 sounded significantly better than my Clip.

Did you try a volume-matched AB test, with the same music playing on both players? There's certainly nothing "significant" for me there, but it sounds slightly worse than the Clip to my ears with a variety of headphones and IEMs (disregarding the insane hiss).

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the timely review before the eve of the launching of STUDIO and ROCOO.It is the great method to use a previous model which has been stop selling since last August to predict the problems of the up coming products.

Good timing, eh? If I have had the possibility to test it earlier, I would have done so. But fret not, I am supposed to get the RoCoo too, and maybe Shigzeo's PRO2... I will keep you updated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can go on Headroom and use their graph generator to prove Skullcandys sound better than the IE8.

A headphone's frequency response curve is a matter of taste, there is no "good" or "bad" there. A bad amp design however is a bad amp design.

A good amp circuit has a linear frequency response, has low THD, low IMD, low crosstalk, and so on. The PRO 1 has a mediocre-to-bad amp, no matter if a low or high impedance can is hooked up to it.

But that's besides the point - I actually listened to music on the PRO 1, and compared it volume-matched to other players, as I already wrote. And the PRO 1 didn't sound "better" in any way than any of my MP3 players. Not even a tiny bit.

Quote:

This review is a slap in the face of anyone who owns the Amp3 and hears it for what it is, a flawed DAP/Amp that can deliver excellent SQ. I have been researching Mr. dfkt, and it seems he has no problem touting the Phonak PFEs (why he even seems to have visited the home office). Yet, there are those who call the PFEs an overrated piece of junk. I guess all's fair when it comes to opinion, but it's got nothing to do with telling any absolute truth.

I feel honored that you've been researching me, and I find it amusing that you drag my PFE review and probably my visit to Zurich into this. Didn't you find anything else to attack my integrity with? I wrote openly about my involvement with Phonak on the ABI frontpage. What people gush about in the PFE appreciation thread here, or if they bash the PFE is not my doing and none of my concern.

I gave the PFE a positive review because they are a product that deserves it. That Phonak invited me to a workshop a year after my review was a very unexpected turn of events - but I have no issues or moral regrets dealing with people that seek my advice to create better products, people who have a clue what they're working on, and have the skills to do so. Contrary to criminals who only want to take money from people via generating hype about a sub-par, overpriced product - without delivering anything remotely redeeming in return. I mean... just LOOK at that AMP3 thing. It's a joke.

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #39 of 100
Well aside from the pictures and graph that tell the real story, I enjoyed post #41 the best. The product should not have been sold, unless Hisoundaudio intends on providing the early adapters with free upgrades to their next beta test.

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #40 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing, nobody criticized my take on the AMP3's firmware/UI/usability yet... are people really only interested in how it sounds, even if it's a complete usability disaster as well?
wink.gif

I basically meant the guys who sell it, those who told such blatant lies to get the hype machinery going.

They made an awful botched product that doesn't deserve any other review. That they fixed some of the flaws in a newer model doesn't justify releasing this PRO 1 at all. After all, I don't think people who bought the PRO 1 got a free upgrade to the PRO 2.

Did you try a volume-matched AB test, with the same music playing on both players? There's certainly nothing "significant" for me there, but it sounds slightly worse than the Clip to my ears with a variety of headphones and IEMs (disregarding the insane hiss).

Good timing, eh? If I have had the possibility to test it earlier, I would have done so. But fret not, I am supposed to get the RoCoo too, and maybe Shigzeo's PRO2... I will keep you updated.

A headphone's frequency response curve is a matter of taste, there is no "good" or "bad" there. A bad amp design however is a bad amp design.

A good amp circuit has a linear frequency response, has low THD, low IMD, low crosstalk, and so on. The PRO 1 has a mediocre-to-bad amp, no matter if a low or high impedance can is hooked up to it.

But that's besides the point - I actually listened to music on the PRO 1, and compared it volume-matched to other players, as I already wrote. And the PRO 1 didn't sound "better" in any way than any of my MP3 players. Not even a tiny bit.

I feel honored that you've been researching me, and I find it amusing that you drag my PFE review and probably my visit to Zurich into this. Didn't you find anything else to attack my integrity with? I wrote openly about my involvement with Phonak on the ABI frontpage. What people gush about in the PFE appreciation thread here, or if they bash the PFE is not my doing and none of my concern.

I gave the PFE a positive review because they are a product that deserves it. That Phonak invited me to a workshop a year after my review was a very unexpected turn of events - but I have no issues or moral regrets dealing with people that seek my advice to create better products, people who have a clue what they're working on, and have the skills to do so. Contrary to criminals who only want to take money from people via generating hype about a sub-par, overpriced product - without delivering anything remotely redeeming in return. I mean... just LOOK at that AMP3 thing. It's a joke.

I didn't say the PFE was a piece of junk, but a couple of HFers believe it to be so. So as I said, opinions are just that, opinions, and truth has little to do with it.

Maybe not in Austria, but in the U.S. specifically calling someone is a criminal in print for selling a product that doesn't meet you standards (when there are others with opposing POVs) is tantamount to libel, and HF might be well advised to remove that comment from your post, since they are the carrier of that assertion (and are U.S. based). You didn't name any names, but it's no secret that you are referring to Craig at Whiplash, and if I were him, I would be sending HF a letter asking you to remove that language. Using the word criminal infers someone has committed or been convicted of a crime, and if that were the case, Whiplash/HSA would hardly be the only merchants being charged criminally for selling products.

I am sure you wouldn't know this, in your zeal to be the defender of truth.

The vitriol in your post has made this thread worthless since the second it was posted. Sure, you found a few followers who have never heard the Amp3 (and 1-2 who have), but there are plenty of legitimate owners of the box, and they don't care about its clunky, often frustrating UI (you happy now?) or ugly design (in your opinion). Yes, they like it for the sound and its uses (some are using it as a preamp, and quite successfully). If you would have done your homeworkm, as I did, you would see there are plenty of Amp3 owners who expressed frustration over the UI and firmware, but the SQ overrode that frustration. Shocking, huh?

Hard to believe, I know, because we are nothing more than sheep waiting to be sheared by the big, bad "criminals" at HSA and Whiplash. Give me a break.

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #41 of 100
In Europe, if a product is mis-sold or not fit for purpose, one is entitled to a refund. WRT mis-selling (which is what i believe has happened here) then that is illegal and a criminal offense.

However, free speech is free speech. and truth is truth.

Strawmen is to polite,

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #42 of 100
Quote:

I didn't say the PFE was a piece of junk, but a couple of HFers believe it to be so. So as I said, opinions are just that, opinions, and truth has little to do with it.

The PFEs have had many positive feedbacks, i think they got past the hype for a long time... so i don't know what posts you are referring to, but as for me i rate them a bit lower than my stats and higher than a few dynamic headphones costing double the price. So i'd love to hear more pieces of junk like this
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #43 of 100
Looking at the RMAA test for the AMP3 it's hard to deny that what ever they did they messed up on it. Serious bass roll off, WAY to much THD, way to much cross talk.

I know measured test are not the end all be all of listening experience, but the measured test seem to correlate with a lot of the reviews of this unit being way to hissy.

I just have to ask why pay so much for a player that appears to sound this bad and is aimed at the audiophile crowd?

I can pay alot less for a player with better SQ and a much better user interface. I just don't see the point.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #44 of 100
A colleague of mine has one. I don't own one. I checked it out and used it for a bit. I will add that I disliked the hiss but, even more bothersome, the LOOKS. For the price charged I feel you are being bent over buying one. Again, my opinion. It looks cheap and it didn't sound all that great to me. I am glad I had the luxury of listening and seeing one before I plopped coin on a unit because I would have been extremely pissed off.

Now if this isn't portable then let me state there are many better options for home listening. This is marketed as a portable device and it falls short in that respect. The GUI sucks and looks like an afterthought.The whole thing just looks cheap IMHO. So sorry for those angered by the comments. I suppose I would be too if I spent money on it and thought it was hot sh1t and all that.

I'm looking forward to reading shigzeo's review of the Rocco - although with a grain of salt...

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #45 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PFEs have had many positive feedbacks, i think they got past the hype for a long time... so i don't know what posts you are referring to, but as for me i rate them a bit lower than my stats and higher than a few dynamic headphones costing double the price. So i'd love to hear more pieces of junk like this
wink.gif

Ok, I spent some time going through that massive PFE thread and some others using search, and two HF members, cn11 and Kobayashi, pretty much said the PFEs were garbage. In fact, cn11's post was in a thread about the worst headphones you ever purchased, and he listed the PFEs. I am sure there are more. Again, my point was not to bash the PFEs at all, because they appear to be a decent product. My point was that one man's garbage can be another person's perfectly acceptable piece of gear - if you know that you are buying.

Again, I have no problems with someone disliking a product, as it happens all the time here after looking over the reviews and threads. My problem is that calling someone a criminal is serious stuff, and not protected free speech. At least not based on U.S. law. If someone wants their money back, so be it. But if you say something subjective, and this review was subjective as they all are, that causes harm to someone's business (i.e., calling the actions criminal or labeling them as criminal), then you have crossed a line.

I dare you to find other reviews where someone took this type of position on a piece of gear. If people want to accept dfkt's "truth" then fine, but calling it truth and it being truth are two entirely different issues.

Saying "if dfkt says its true than it's true" is ridiculous. Any half-intelligent person would know that considering there are few absolute truths floating around this forum. I am sure this thread will fizzle out. But not mincing words is one thing, committing libel is quite another.

And, no matter what dfkt says, there are apparentely dozens of Amp3 owners who find it to be an acceptable piece of gear ... for their purposes. Does that make them all liars? Again, this is a silly review that really serves no purpose. dfkt has credibility, sure. But he is also the same person who has trashed the RE0 as pretty much worthless junk, and the same for the Minibox-E+, which get plenty of love on this site. I guess it's just more opinion disguised as truth.

The silliest thing is the Amp3 isn't even being made or sold any longer, except in the FS forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back