The Hifiman Sound
Jul 15, 2015 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

maxjstern

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers,

I am rather new on Head-Fi (lurker for a year, member for some weeks) and I already read much about the brand Hifiman. I am particularly interested in their (C)IEM line-up.
I only have the internet to get impressions of the sound of these.

I only found something about their signature in comparisons with other products.

So I ask you, if there is a fundamental sound signature that all Hifiman (C)IEMs (or even the big cans) have in common. If yes, how would you describe it?

Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 17
They really were neutral, surely the best I have heard (on comparing with Brainwavz-M1, Vsonic VC02 and Meelectronics A161P) I still love their presentation and neutrality. The build quality is a let down anyways, they looked like to last, but the joint between the cable and earphone broke too soon.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 17
Neutral, smooth, slight mids empahsis, rolled-off treble and quick bass.

Great for vocals, jazz and classical.

Not so good for rock, hip-hop and EDM. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 17
the re 400 is pretty neutral for me

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 17
Sorry, I should probably mention that the sound sig was for the RE-400 only.
I haven't tried other Hifiman products, thanks to the weak cables of the RE-400.
I think they are neutral with slight mids emphasis. Its not upfront compared to treble and bass, but you hear it clearly.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 17
No problem, thanks nonetheless. Are they in any way sibilant, or harsh in the trebel?

And, if you allow another question, have you heard one of their big cans, share they a similar sound sig?

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 17
  What about the Re-272? Is it just a Re-400 on proteins while the Re-600 is a Re-400 on stereoids?

The RE272 and RE400 are not cut from the same cloth. But they still have the HiFiMAN DNA in common.

RE400 is warmish neutral
RE272 is on the colder analytical side of neutral

RE400 has laid back treble that is forgiving yet retains some crispness
RE272 is brighter and is extremely detailed and transparent yet never ever gets harsh

RE400 has a fast detailed bass with slight mid-bass hump but is low on sub-bass quantity(while extending deep)
RE272 is similarly fast and detailed but without the mid-bass humps and probably lesser bass quantity(while extending deep).

RE400 is mid forward and linear through the midrange.
RE272 is not exactly mid forward but not recessed either and I sense some slight emphasis in the upper mids.

RE400 provides an average soundstage with excellent layering.
RE272 is more spacious with similar layering and better imaging.

Both have numerous complaints when it comes to build quality.

This is just a short comparison. The similarities and dissimilarities goes deeper of course
smile.gif

@maxjstern
I believe the Full size headphones are rather different compared to their IEMs. Someone else will  have to comment on similarities and dissimilarities.

IEMs in short:
Hifiman IEMs have an excellent midrange that is never recessed or masked. Flavor might be different though.
They have excellent detail retrieval. Presentation of said detail may vary.
Treble is never harsh or sibilant despite some emphasis in some models.
Build quality is not up to the mark.
They are all very good value for the money.
They are generally low on bass quantity but really excel at quality.

EDIT: Apart from this short show impression We know nothing about the sound of their new flagship CIEM (RE1000)

EDIT2: 500 posts! Took a long time :)

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 17
Thank you ver very much for that short, yet informative comparison.

You gladly mentioned the upcoming RE-1000. It was one reason why i started this thread. I am really interested in these as I am a fan of dynamic drivers and the concept of two of them just sounds (hopefully) amazing!

Again, thank you and is it possible that you could update about the Re-1000, if there is anything new? I heard, you can order it already at Head-Direct...

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #14 of 17
  Thank you ver very much for that short, yet informative comparison.

You gladly mentioned the upcoming RE-1000. It was one reason why i started this thread. I am really interested in these as I am a fan of dynamic drivers and the concept of two of them just sounds (hopefully) amazing!

Again, thank you and is it possible that you could update about the Re-1000, if there is anything new? I heard, you can order it already at Head-Direct...

The RE1000 is intriguing considering considering it's pedigree. Also the specifications mention a near full range Dynamic driver with a dedicated driver for sub-bass(which should take care of "bass quantity").
They are available to purchase through Head-Direct for 699$.

UM (Unique Melody) is collaborating with HiFiMAN, which is a good sign as UM will take over manufacturing, potentially saving us from that one blemish on HiFiMAN's legacy.
It's low impedance and high sensitivity suggest that it will be easy to drive.

All updates and impressions will probably be posted on this thread. Keep an eye on it. Also, I shall tag you if there are any major updates.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/748332/new-hifiman-flagship-together-with-unique-melody-re1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back