The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Jan 23, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #871 of 1,312
So would it be better for the battery just to use it wirelessly and when on like 10% power plug it in to slowly charge back vias USB? That would make it charge and discharge like 2 times per day..

Deep cycling is a very quick way to shorten battery life.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #873 of 1,312
so like 30%?

Rule of thumb for maximizing Li-ion battery life is to charge it as often as you can, minimizing battery drop as much as possible and only occasionally deep cycle it. Also, slower charging cycle is better. Of course, it isn't always convenience to do it this way. That being said, it is better to use something that doesn't have a battery if it is going to be powered by USB most of the time.

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #874 of 1,312
Deep cycling is a very quick way to shorten battery life.
Not sure if 10% can be called deep cycling, as most lithium cells i had and have spec sheets available have damage threshold at 2.5v , and theyre already empty at around 3.0v(some at 2.8v, and even had ones that are empty at 3.3v). But not knowing the exact specs for the battery in the device and at what point the electronics disconnect the battery, you have a point and might be a good thing to not go low.
Given that long term storage charge is around 30-40% and charging to 80% would give you around 3x charge cycles, i mostly recommend charging your device 30-80%. If thats not too inconvenient and actually makes your device a pita to use and you loose the enjoyment, a thin line :). @nabuhodonozor

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #875 of 1,312
Not sure if 10% can be called deep cycling, as most lithium cells i had and have spec sheets available have damage threshold at 2.5v , and theyre already empty at around 3.0v(some at 2.8v, and even had ones that are empty at 3.3v). But not knowing the exact specs for the battery in the device and at what point the electronics disconnect the battery, you have a point and might be a good thing to not go low.
Given that long term storage charge is around 30-40% and charging to 80% would give you around 3x charge cycles, i mostly recommend charging your device 30-80%. If thats not too inconvenient and actually makes your device a pita to use and you loose the enjoyment, a thin line :). @nabuhodonozor

If I was to use my phone as BT transmitter it would be rather annoying to have it connected to my PC all day . Guess I'll shift to BTR3K. Shame because Hiby has that new chip. Is disabling charging something that could be added with firmware update ( yeah I know wishful thinking) or is it mostly hardware ?

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #876 of 1,312
That being said, it is better to use something that doesn't have a battery if it is going to be powered by USB most of the time.
Or a Qudelix 5K

If I was to use my phone as BT transmitter it would be rather annoying to have it connected to my PC all day . Guess I'll shift to BTR3K. Shame because Hiby has that new chip. Is disabling charging something that could be added with firmware update ( yeah I know wishful thinking) or is it mostly hardware ?
You dont have to have it connected all day, just when you need it, or you can use 5GHz wifi for network so you dont have to connect it ever.
It could be added via firmware if the hardware supports such feature. But dont bet your house on it :)

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #877 of 1,312
Or a Qudelix 5K

You dont have to have it connected all day, just when you need it, or you can use 5GHz wifi for network so you dont have to connect it ever.
It could be added via firmware if the hardware supports such feature. But dont bet your house on it :)

Well I have my headphones on almost whole day sitting at my PC desk so I'd need phone to stream it a lot and phone's battery would get drained as well
BTW do smartphones cut out charging or would I have to juggle both W3 and my phone with charging :tired_face::smile:

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #878 of 1,312
Well I have my headphones on almost whole day sitting at my PC desk so I'd need phone to stream it a lot and phone's battery would get drained as well
BTW do smartphones cut out charging or would I have to juggle both W3 and my phone with charging :tired_face::smile:
Wont get drained as much as if you were actually using it with screen on.
Receive the device and try, you have been presented with few solutions(phone, Lunux VM, Fiio BTA30, or a cheap transceiver with no LDAC), so see what fits your use case best and is most convenient to you.

@ClieOS On BTR3K/BTR5 when you disable charging via app, does it switch to drawing power from usb, or it just disables charging and still uses the battery for power?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #879 of 1,312
@ClieOS On BTR3K/BTR5 when you disable charging via app, does it switch to drawing power from usb, or it just disables charging and still uses the battery for power?

It will use battery until it is almost drained, then it will turn on charging automatically before battery gets too low. This is a feature designed not for long term stationary USB powered usage, but for smartphone's USB DAC usage as some smartphone can't power USB DAC properly / drain it's own battery too fast when attempting to charge whatever is connected to its USB port.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #880 of 1,312
It will use battery until it is almost drained, then it will turn on charging automatically before battery gets too low. This is a feature designed not for long term stationary USB powered usage, but for smartphone's USB DAC usage as some smartphone can't power USB DAC properly / drain it's own battery too fast when attempting to charge whatever is connected to its USB port.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the Hiby W3 relative to the Fiio BTR3K? I tried out a Fiio BTR3K and the Qudelix with my UERM IEMs and found that the BTR3K sounded too warm, congested, and muffled for my liking (using 3.5mm single ended connection). I didn't like that sound signature. The Qudelix sounded more to my liking, but it was too expensive for me. I am wondering if the Hiby W3S might suit me better?

Thanks.

Have the w3 and while it is warm sounding, i dont find it muffled or congested.But probably depends on iems used and what you compare to.
Maybe Shanling UP2 is worth a look. Here its described as warmish(same as the btr3k and W3) but im expecting it to be not as warm and more detailed than W3 due to it using same ESS dac/amp as the qudelix and btr5. Should receive it in a week or two and see if my expectations were right. Will share my impressions if i dont forget, or you remind me.

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #881 of 1,312
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Have the w3 and while it is warm sounding, i dont find it muffled or congested.But probably depends on iems used and what you compare to.
Maybe Shanling UP2 is worth a look. Here its described as warmish(same as the btr3k and W3) but im expecting it to be not as warm and more detailed than W3 due to it using same ESS dac/amp as the qudelix and btr5. Should receive it in a week or two and see if my expectations were right. Will share my impressions if i dont forget, or you remind me.

Looking forward to your impressions

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #882 of 1,312
Hello everybody,
Does anybody have Hiby R3 and one of the dongles supporting UAT?
Could you then compare the SQ and signal stability between LDAC and UAT?
I am trying it with Hiby R3 and Qudelix 5K (which does not support UAT) and for me the SQ of UAT is better than LDAC. I assign UAT 1.2M for R3. The control is much better and the bass digs much deeper. I checked what codec is received by Qudelix in its app. It shows LDAC but with only 303mbps. While assigning LDAC for both R3 and Qudelix shows 909mbps. So I am confused. How come 303mbps sounds better to me than 909mbps?
I am not sure if I should buy a dongle with UAT support to pair it with Hiby R3 to get all the benefits of UAT codec. May be it's worth mentioning that I prefer warm sounding.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #883 of 1,312
May be it's worth mentioning that I prefer warm sounding.
That statement above might be the key. To my ears At 909/990 you get better highs extension(more treble) and cleaner better controlled bass. The increase in treble itself afects the warmth and bass extension introduces more sub bass, which can drown the mid bass a bit(and most noticeable change in warmth/coldness you get in midbass area around 200-300 hz).
In the end of the day use what sounds best to you, even if its lesser bitrate, you get increased battery life as a bonus :).

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #884 of 1,312
Hello everybody,
Does anybody have Hiby R3 and one of the dongles supporting UAT?
Could you then compare the SQ and signal stability between LDAC and UAT?
I am trying it with Hiby R3 and Qudelix 5K (which does not support UAT) and for me the SQ of UAT is better than LDAC. I assign UAT 1.2M for R3. The control is much better and the bass digs much deeper. I checked what codec is received by Qudelix in its app. It shows LDAC but with only 303mbps. While assigning LDAC for both R3 and Qudelix shows 909mbps. So I am confused. How come 303mbps sounds better to me than 909mbps?
I am not sure if I should buy a dongle with UAT support to pair it with Hiby R3 to get all the benefits of UAT codec. May be it's worth mentioning that I prefer warm sounding.

Codec need to be supported by both source (i.e. smartphone, DAP, etc) and receiver (BT adapter) to work. When you set R3 to UAT, it won't work since 5K doesn't support UAT. In this kind of situation, the source will automatically select the next best codec it supports (which will be LDAC in this case). Things about LDAC is that it is usually dynamic auto scaling - meaning it will automatically jump to the highest SQ setting if condition allows, without the need of user input. If you are seeing 303kbps (or 330kbps), it usually means it just happened at the moment it is on 303kbps. But once condition is allowed, it will jump to 606 or 909 and generally won't stay at 303 all the time. I suspect what you are seeing is just an "at the moment" transmission rate.

Also, we refer BT adapter as BT adapter. Dongle usually refers to something that you plug into the USB port.

Lastly, I never come across any actual usable UAT device in the real world. It is a super unstable codec.

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #885 of 1,312
Lastly, I never come across any actual usable UAT device in the real world. It is a super unstable codec.
It works perfectly fine on a bt4.0 seven year old phone, tested at 3m distance and back turned to transmitter meaning signal going through body, though signal reflections also helped as it was in a closed space.
Hiby might have silently reduced the UAT bandwidth. As 1 or 2 versions back in hiby blue there was a quick flash showing bitrate for UAT, and for me it showed 900 or 990, something around that number, cant recall the exact number as i played with it few months ago but im leaning more towards 900. Have you tested UAT recently for stability?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back