The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Aug 2, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #647 of 1,312
Might be my next IEM purchase (when my next major investor shows up).

Do you use the 3.5mm output or the 2.5mm output with them?
I bought a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter to use it on balanced. Frankly I don't really care about being balanced or not, but more because since I have the 4.4mm cable from Sony, which is very nicely built, I prefer to use it and save the 3.5mm one as backup
Just my opinion, I've been in the hobby only for 3 years; but I'm getting tired of the whole buying and selling lower tier gear to try and keep going up the ladder. Even though I still believe that you need to find what sound signature you like, but afterward, just save up for the best (demo first) instead of buying other things.
I got lucky-ish with Z1R fit and the sound is definitely my end-game for now. This is the 1st time since I feel no need to look for "better". More time listening less time looking for stuffs :)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #648 of 1,312
Probably a nooby question, but I've never used these adapters.
Can I connect an amp to the adapter (e.g. via 3.5) and then headphones to the amp? So a kinda double amplification?

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #649 of 1,312
Probably a nooby question, but I've never used these adapters.
Can I connect an amp to the adapter (e.g. via 3.5) and then headphones to the amp? So a kinda double amplification?

You can, and yes you will be double amping.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #650 of 1,312
I can be listening to Tidal or Spotify and while my hands are busy with my training I can just say "Ok Google -- Play Moody Blues" or Ok Google - Next" or "Okay Google -- add volume" and it usually works! I can pause/play that way, have it pick a song, etc. Even tell it to open Tidal or Spotify. So, that's a high priority for me in picking which device to get.
Do you mean using BTR5 or Qudelix 5K?

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #651 of 1,312
I don't think anyone can argue otherwise that EarStudo has fantastic app. While FiiO might not measure up to EarStudio standard, it is still far better than rest of the crowd (*given Hiby's app really does nothing at this point while Shanling app is stuck in production, and the rest simply has no app at all).

Remember that ES100 doesn't come with as good an app from the start - it also took them months to work out bugs and add features. You have to also keep in mind that Qudelix uses a brand new Qualcomm chips, so app development will not be as straight forward as FiiO's (which uses the older chips that they have been using for awhile now) and could possibly means more time needed to get the app up to standard, besides the fact that Qudelix capacity as a manufacturer has not been fully tested yet.

One major thing that I think BTR5 has is actually the OLED screen - it allows some settings (filters, gain, balance, etc) to be changed without using an app, which is much more convenient. If FiiO was able to find a way for user to store a few EQ setting on the BTR5 itself, that will be a major sale point.
Mid 2020 update - FiiO Control iOS app is version 1.0.3 and while “usable now”, the entire point of the app (EQ) is made useless because the Q5s does NOT remember EQ settings when powered off.

Maybe BTR5 designed with more thought so it does? *shrug* ES100 has no problem remembering settings.

IF only the ES100 had a decent case.. why do so many companies refuse to put on a good (and inexpensive) volume DIAL and MULTIPLE usable buttons?

HiBy W5 is one of the most idiotic designs ever with the “1 touch-sensitive button”.. I think it’s app half-worked and was very hard to use. There were some issues with setting recall as well.

BTR3/5 same issue as ES100 with small crappy buttons. Just less small.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #652 of 1,312
Mid 2020 update - FiiO Control iOS app is version 1.0.3 and while “usable now”, the entire point of the app (EQ) is made useless because the Q5s does NOT remember EQ settings when powered off.

Maybe BTR5 designed with more thought so it does? *shrug* ES100 has no problem remembering settings.

IF only the ES100 had a decent case.. why do so many companies refuse to put on a good (and inexpensive) volume DIAL and MULTIPLE usable buttons?

HiBy W5 is one of the most idiotic designs ever with the “1 touch-sensitive button”.. I think it’s app half-worked and was very hard to use. There were some issues with setting recall as well.

BTR3/5 same issue as ES100 with small crappy buttons. Just less small.

HiBy W5 was such a big let-down ergonomics wise, I sold them off despite finding the SQ to be better than the other two. Fiio BTR5 doesn't support EQ over LDAC, but for aptx-HD it still works AFAIK.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #653 of 1,312
Fiio BTR5 doesn't support EQ over LDAC, but for aptx-HD it still works AFAIK.
Does the BTR5 remember EQ settings after device power off?

The “forgetting settings” issue might be specific to certain devices..? They can be “set” on the Q5s, and it needs to be done manually on every power on :frowning2: (The Q5s remembers other settings like filter selection.)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #654 of 1,312
Does the BTR5 remember EQ settings after device power off?

The “forgetting settings” issue might be specific to certain devices..? They can be “set” on the Q5s, and it needs to be done manually on every power on :frowning2: (The Q5s remembers other settings like filter selection.)

I just tried it now after turning off the LDAC. Even after powering off and powering back, the EQ settings are still retained on BTR5, as it should be. (on Aptx HD)

This is surely a bug with the Q5S (Had a Q5 long back, which as far I can recollect didn't have this issue). Hopefully, Fiio fixes it soon

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #655 of 1,312
Sadly, my Oppo ha-2 died. I carried it around with me to use along with my laptop and on occasion with my smartphone.

Whould the qudelix be an alternative? How do you guys think the usb mode will compare?

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #656 of 1,312
Which receiver has deeper bass to your ears between the W3 and the UP2?

Which receiver has better mids to your ears between the W3 and the UP2?

Which receiver has better highs to your ears between the W3 and the UP2?

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #657 of 1,312
Hi everyone, I have been reading this thread for months... First of all I wish you are fine, due to COVID crisis, greetings from Spain!.

I have been using the ES100 for about a year with my CA Andromeda and loving it. Now the battery is almost dead and a need a replacement. I would like something that could be used in Bluetooth mode but also as USB Dac both in my Windows laptop and using a OTG cable in my phone. I have doubt if I should buy the Qudelix or the Fiio BTR5. @ClieOS and everyone that have tested them, what do you suggest me? Or should I buy a new ES100?. I use an Android phone.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #658 of 1,312
Hi everyone, I have been reading this thread for months... First of all I wish you are fine, due to COVID crisis, greetings from Spain!.

I have been using the ES100 for about a year with my CA Andromeda and loving it. Now the battery is almost dead and a need a replacement. I would like something that could be used in Bluetooth mode but also as USB Dac both in my Windows laptop and using a OTG cable in my phone. I have doubt if I should buy the Qudelix or the Fiio BTR5. @ClieOS and everyone that have tested them, what do you suggest me? Or should I buy a new ES100?. I use an Android phone.

Thanks in advance.

BTR5 will offer you as good an USB DAC as it is a BT adapter, while 5K has a really good EQ system - I'll suggest you pick the one with feature that most appeal to you.

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #659 of 1,312

Thanks in advance.
Personally, I think BTR5 and 5K already far surpassed ES100 (except the app aspect, but not far off). I'd say BTR5 if you're using USB DAC most of the time; it's really really good. IDK about 5K but they have EQ on LDAC if that's important to you.
Side note: I'd say the BTR5 buttons are more tactile to press and easier to find without looking, and they have better build.
Also, Shanling UP4's volume wheel is pretty addictive. But the other two win overall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back