The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Jul 25, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #62 of 1,312
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding, so lets break it down:

The (2) is, again, non logical - as I have spent some effort on my previous reply to explain to you, such a thing doesn't exist. You CAN NOT connect a BT IEM (any BT headphone) to a DAC/AMP via BT. No chip maker even developed a BT chip that can allow for such function nor does any DC/AMP maker ever attempted to ever design such a thing. What you are asking on (2) is a fantasy setup that never exist before, nor even likely will.

The output of any DAC/AMP is almost always analog signal (*there are exception with some also outputs SPDIF or Toslink, but NEVER BT). Your assumption is fundamentally based on an erroneous idea that never really exists in the real world.

Again, No such a thing as a "DAC/AMP to can connect to IEM via BT". You are asking people to suggest to you a thing that doesn't exist.

By 'DAC/AMP', we are referring to a headphone amp that also comes with a DAC - which is short for Digital-to-Analog Converter. As the full name suggested, it only does one thing: converting digital signal to analog, not the other way around. A DAC/AMP with BT function has one extra set of BT chip, which takes the BT signal (* = digital) from a smartphone or any BT source, and feed it into the DAC in order to convert it to analog signal, then the amp section amplifies the signal to feed it into the headphone - in NO way you can somehow magically turn any path of the process back into a BT signal unless you use an ADC (*analog-to-digital) circuit - but that will be extremely stupid. The reason is, as I have explained on my previous reply, doing so only cause degradation of signal due to multiple decode/re-encode. There is no benefit to make a device that purposefully decrease SQ when you can just send the BT signal from smartphone to the BT headphone directly.

A DAC only takes digital and convert it to analog. An amp only take analog signal and amplifies it. You COMPLETELY misunderstand how a DAC/AMP works and just assume it will somehow magically convert whatever you want to any other signal you want - well, it doesn't work that way.

-----------

In any setup, there will always be a bottleneck - for example, if you smartphone only output poor quality SBC codec over BT, somehow you use an BT enable DAC/AMP to convert it to analog signal, then you feed that analog signal into an ADC and resending it over BT (*such a device will be called a BT transmitter), perhaps even using LDAC, then your BT IEM received the LDAC signal and covert it back to analog and feed it to the transducer.

Now the reality is your original music already suffer a lost of quality when it was first send over SBC, then it suffered a 2nd lost of quality when you using an ADC to convert the analog signal to back to digital, then another (minor) lost of quality by sending it over LDAC (note: even LDAC is not a completely lossless codec). Lastly, the DAC inside your BT IEM need to convert the LDAC back to analog and likely it is not going to be a very good DAC due to the size restriction of the circuit inside the IEM, so another minor lost of quality there. In the end, what you really are getting is a process that results in the accumulation of four lost of quality. In comparison, you need suffer 2 lost of quality if you just connect your smartphone to your BT IEM directly.

The takeaway point is, you should stop trying to complicate your BT setup with non-existing dream-up device. The best way of is to get a LDAC enable smartphone and a LDAC enable IEM, then connect them directly. END OF STORY.

Appreciate it ClieOS! Thanks for putting up with my illogical, doomed quest on badgering other people for this fantasy device. Got way too hung up on this idea and thought anything is possible in 2019. Without doing some googling on the fundamentals first! LOL

Now I think it's a pretty good idea to get a BT adapter and skip the BTX2 altogether. Because I find the sound can be 'stronger' with more bass. (I have a pair of BGVP DM6) Hence, this thread.

Would you have any short and light copper cables to recommend? (Sorry, if this is not the most appropriate thread for that).

I'm kind of an active guy and always on the go.
Don't want to get my unit get trampled on the treadmill because the cable is too long and cumbersome.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #63 of 1,312
@dfung,

If you want to complecate things, you can use this dongle. If you don't have an LDAC enabled phone, but at least have an APTEX-HD enabled headset, you can connect this via USB OTG to your phone, and use it for transmitting Bluetooth, instead of your phone's built in Bluetooth chip.
Thanks for the info! Very glad my phone has LDAC. So now I can go on my quest to find a premium BT adapter for my IEMs

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #64 of 1,312
Would you have any short and light copper cables to recommend? (Sorry, if this is not the most appropriate thread for that).

I'm kind of an active guy and always on the go.
Don't want to get my unit get trampled on the treadmill because the cable is too long and cumbersome.

I build my own short cable. Pretty sure any cable maker can make them to any length you like, but generally I'll recommend it to be around 50cm or so.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #65 of 1,312
I build my own short cable. Pretty sure any cable make can make them to any length you like, but generally I'll recommend it to be around 50cm or so.
That's really cool that you make your own cable.
Eyeing the BTR5. It seems most here are quite hyped up about it

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #66 of 1,312
Fiio Russia have share this.
FB_IMG_1564399162723.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #67 of 1,312
And I just ordered an UP2!

I imagine this is going to be a lot more expensive then the BTR3, seeing as it has balanced and unbalanced as well as a ton of other features. Maybe around the ES100 price range ($99 USD). Honestly I would say it would be even more expensive then that, but guess we will have to wait and see.

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #68 of 1,312
And I just ordered an UP2!

I imagine this is going to be a lot more expensive then the BTR3, seeing as it has balanced and unbalanced as well as a ton of other features. Maybe around the ES100 price range ($99 USD). Honestly I would say it would be even more expensive then that, but guess we will have to wait and see.
Probably going for $125. Almost ordered the UP2 as well last week, but the USB DAC functionality let me down as I'm looking for pluging with my laptop and wirelessly with my phone.

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #72 of 1,312
Just about everything that is to be expected from BTR5 is there. Double sided glass means it will probably come with an outer jacket for shirt clip, much like UP2. The addition of a small OLED screen is a nice touch, reminds me a lot about the Sony MW1 that I really love. The only surprising bit is the support of CTIA remote on headset. AFAIK, this will mark the first ever BY adapter that can support remote control on the headset.

Can't wait to get one!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #73 of 1,312
Fiio (facebook) has posted it too (bold is my emphasis):

BTR5: Flagship Bluetooth Amplifier

Features:
1. Detachable back clip
2. 3.5mm (Single-Ended) + 2.5mm (Balanced)
3. Dual ES9218P DAC chip
4. Built-in XMOS chip
5. Supports native DSD decoding

Scheduled to be release in September/October (subjected to change)

Estimated SRP at USD 99.99 (subjected to final confirmation)​

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #74 of 1,312
Nioce noice noice. Looks like my UP2 may be collecting dust in the back of my audio graveyard draw.

Will wait for reviews, but love my K3 so no doubt I will love this as well.

$99 seems pretty cheap for something that can do all this, but I guess it has to be priced below the M6?

Jul 30, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #75 of 1,312

Users who are viewing this thread

Back