The heavens opened and I heard the stars sing (β22 tales)
Jul 12, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #151 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the B22 as a preamp for the most part....it really blew me away with its transparency and dynamic approach. A totally different beast compared to the RSA B52 I love so much.

More to come.

Thanks all.

~G

Agreed, it's as thought the Beta 22 isn't even there. But you can tell that it has oodles of power.
This thing could run any headphone with ease.

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #152 of 186
Quote:

I JUST noticed this thread. I am the lucky new owner of this amp. Thanks ASR!

Let me know if you have any questions/issues.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #153 of 186
Quote:

I am using the B22 as a preamp for the most part....it really blew me away with its transparency and dynamic approach. A totally different beast compared to the RSA B52 I love so much.

which do you prefer for headphone listening?

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #154 of 186
For now, they are BOTH excellent at what they do. They are different enough that they make sense to own at the same time.

Originally, I was thinking that my next purchase would be electrostatic, but along came the opportunity and I pounced on it.

The Beta22 is being used a preamp right now in my setup.

At the same time, when I am looking for extreme textures and harmonic colors, I tend to go to the B52. When I want the last iota of transparency and detail, I plug into the Beta22. They both do these things well, but its really just a matter of mood and taste at that moment.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #155 of 186
I am fortunate enough to currently have a Beta22 on loan for review. I've only spent a few days with it, but I can say that it is a stunningly good headphone amplifier. I mean STUNNING.

I will have a full review later. For now, these:

DSC01729.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #156 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am fortunate enough to currently have a Beta22 on loan for review. I've only spent a few days with it, but I can say that it is a stunningly good headphone amplifier. I mean STUNNING.

I will have a full review later. For now, these:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...b/DSC01729.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...b/DSC01730.jpg

Looking forward to reading it. I have a balanced B22 already, but its always nice to read other peoples impressions. Nice panels on that one, but why 2 knobs?

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #157 of 186
One for volume, one for source selection.

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #158 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One for volume, one for source selection.

Ah, yes of course.

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #160 of 186
Feb 24, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #161 of 186
Does anyone know how the B22 compares to the Zana Deux? Right now I'm more in Zana territory, but the fact that I don't have to deal with tubes and I can go balanced for the same price sounds very appealing.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #162 of 186
Apples and oranges my friend
smily_headphones1.gif

Tubes are lusty, velvety, tweak-able and inviting.
Solid State is authoritative, clear, transparent and powerful (at least in terms of the B22)

Pick your sonic window.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #163 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how the B22 compares to the Zana Deux? Right now I'm more in Zana territory, but the fact that I don't have to deal with tubes and I can go balanced for the same price sounds very appealing.

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Solid State is authoritative, clear, transparent and powerful (at least in terms of the B22)

Pick your sonic window.

x2 ^

If you're after a clear sound without any tube coloring the B22 is the way to go. Its probably worth mentioning as well people commonly seek said transparency even in tube amps.

The other plus with the B22 is its power. Low Imp/High Imp all the way to the K1000, single ended, balanced, even stax headphones provided you have the energizer, plus a number of speakers, it drives most anything.

The absolute best thing you can do is get to a meet before you drop lots of cash on anything though.

Either way you wont be dissapointed.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #164 of 186
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Pick your sonic window.

^ What he say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back