The Headphone Extension Cable Thread...
Jul 25, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #61 of 81
You got that right mark! OCD is me... All of my latest disposable income has been frittered on this new obsession, this last wire deal was too much, when i'm ready for the source upgrade, i will reach new levels of insane money spending. I'm shooting for a month or so, so i can get my act together and do a few new jobs.

Read my thread for impressions of the Big Red thus far!

Jul 27, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #62 of 81
nanahachi,
Quote:

i am considering a Canare cable from Markertek, or maybe having a Canare extension cable built with Neutrik and Vampire connectors instead of whatever Markertek would use...

canare star quad is badass. it's all i use. highly recommended. it's cheap too.... so if you build it yourself, you can make the same cable for $10, not counting shipping.

Aug 26, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #63 of 81
I need a headphone extension cable of high quality and as neutral as possible. Ideally one that subtracts nothing and adds nothing. I plan to use it with differrent headphones so tweaking for a specific headphone is not an option.
I have looked through this interesting thread and made some searches. Three cables seem to sort out:
DiMarzio Red One
Equinox extension cable
Sonic Horizon Hurricane

Has anyone compared some of these? Or all may be good enough so there is no reason for change, leading to no comparisons?

Sep 4, 2003 at 12:25 PM Post #65 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
DA,

At least one other person besides Mark is really interested in something that mates well with the CD3K.

My wallet is on the critical list, and the prognosis is not good.
frown.gif

Same here....and the Hurricaine is on it's way
smily_headphones1.gif

I have had the Big Red and loved it...the ads say it's invisible and if the cord wasn't bright red..it would be
smily_headphones1.gif
...was about to buy a another one...but got a nice deal here on the SH Hurricaine...so giving it a try.
John

Sep 4, 2003 at 1:14 PM Post #66 of 81
I have the Kimber PBJ extension cable. It sucks! I'm looking for another cable now. I sent an email to Zu and they will make an extension using the same cable as the Pivot. I've been pretty impressed with the Pivot, both mini-mini and mini-rca. I may give that a try.

Sep 6, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #67 of 81
Thanks Markl and everyone for this thread! After doing some reading here, I ended up with a 7 meter Sonic Horizon Hurricane which allows me to move from the office to the bedroom to the bathroom back to the office to the living room, etc... and with no less enjoyment sonically. It is being used between my Sony R10 and Singlepower SDS and fits right in!

Sep 7, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #68 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Wmcmanus
...I ended up with a 7 meter Sonic Horizon Hurricane which allows me to move from the office to the bedroom to the bathroom back to the office to the living room, etc... and with no less enjoyment sonically. It is being used between my Sony R10 and Singlepower SDS and fits right in!

Be careful!

Sep 7, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #69 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
nanahachi,

canare star quad is badass. it's all i use. highly recommended. it's cheap too.... so if you build it yourself, you can make the same cable for $10, not counting shipping.

All what I can say is that I have one, made out of canare starquad, and Neutrik connectors, lengh is 25', and no loss is detected so far, better than the Grado one I had, if you are considering it, go for it, I just followed Orpheus suggestion and bingo, a winner extension for cheap, 25' guys and nothing, like it disapeared, this canare starquad is magic, two thumbs up for it, I'm plannig in the near future upgrade all my IC, as it has four conductors inside, it will give you about the double thickness (awg, gauge, etc...) than the major of the good ICs I know....and is very flexible, many colors to choose, good braiding, good shielding, they use good dielectrics, what else to ask for....

Sep 8, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #70 of 81
Yeah, my DIY extention was getting old.

Ordered my DiMarzio Big Red from HR today.

Sep 21, 2003 at 10:48 PM Post #71 of 81
how many of you have tried a radio shack cable (really tried) and actually found it unacceptable?

Their "top of the line" is only $12.99, after all.

Using their $7.99 1/4" plug with my Senn EH2200's and a behringer studio 6-way headphone distribution amp I can tell no difference with or without cable (except I can walk farther away from the amp before the headphones stop working with the cable
smily_headphones1.gif
) It is shielded ok, but I wouldn't run it alongside a power cable for very far.

I think the biggest issue you'll have is some cables pass current worse than others (more resistance), and need more of the volume knob. Perhaps your amp/preamp has a different sonic signiature at different volume settings?

Sep 21, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #72 of 81
I have a Ratshack also, do you want it? Is not the top of the line one but is more or less the same, same thickness, and about the volume, this is not true, you can use a 25' extension and still use the same volume, the power has nothing to do with the extension, if you have a drop in volume, you have also a drop in performance of the amp and a drop in sound quality, for sure, OTOH the sonic signature of an amp I think is not realted to the volume you use, I mean listeneable volumes at least...it will sound the same at low or high volume....
I don't think is a matter of the resistance, or capacitance, unless you want to be crucify in public, never state this here, or you will be in serious troubles with the "cable believers"......LOL.....in the audiophile world the "difference" we hear (if any) I think is not a measurable parameter, otherwise there "has to be" a scientific explanation with numbers, for that phenomenon, and there is not such explanation to the date AFAIK, IMO what make the difference if not the resistance or capacitance of a cable, but any other parameter, or the interaction between them, maybe that we don't even know it exists, there is a difference of course, but to the date there is no such numbers that are able to "explain" that "difference", OTOH in 1' of cable how big this figures could be, this parameters are completelly irrelevant for short lenghs, and there is an audible difference according to many respectable members, so has to be true, I beleive to certain point in this theory, from certain point on, IMO is a little of both, true and placebo, or maybe a whole placebo, but this is just IMO....I have not tried so many cables anyway to support that statement and even though, there is also the subjective factor on this, maybe I'm not able to hear the difference, who can tell for sure, what you are able, or not, to hear, this is a whole mistery, and if you say you do, who can tell you that you don't, or that there is not such a difference....
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #73 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller

......LOL.....in the audiophile world the "difference" we hear (if any) I think is not a measurable parameter, otherwise there "has to be" a scientific explanation with numbers, for that phenomenon, and there is not such explanation to the date AFAIK, IMO what make the difference if not the resistance or capacitance of a cable, but any other parameter, or the interaction between them, maybe that we don't even know it exists, there is a difference of course,

Careful or you might agree with me by accident.

As for the difference existing because people are certain they hear it, how many of them do a blind test? And how many do that blind test enough times to make the results statistically significant?

I once sat and listened to a hi-fi dealer try and explain to me why one method of digital interconnect sounded better than toslink. Digital. As if somehow the little ones and zeroes got along better using some wackass AT&T 8-prong cable than toslink. To a small degree well shielded cables will make sure the amp's noise floor is your weak link (assuming an analog signal). But digital interconnects? If a digital interconnect munges the signal, you -will- know, and you'll know right away. (There is a reason the RIAA is pushing against high-quality format players having a digital out)

As for being crucified, bring it; my hands and feet are as nailproof as the rest of me is flameproof
evil_smiley.gif

Materials that have variable resistance (based on current, not heat) are -really- hard to produce, and as far as I know, mostly-oxygen-free copper is not one of them. If an interconnect has uniform resistance, how can it enhance frequency ranges? (information which isn't even represented by the voltage level. What, it has variable resistance that changes based on the frequency of the waves passing through it (in analog form)?

I would wager that things like crosstalk and interferance are a more serious issue (headphone extensions or audio interconnects), but in most cases cables that cost more than $15 have adequate shielding. (They only have to get noise below the amp's noise floor.)

And, assuming some magical gremlins really did make some cables sound different than others, it certainly isn't something an EQ can't fix (Unless the cable magically boosts or lowers a specific frequency more than 10 or 15 dB. heh.) True audiophiliacs should all have EQ's anyway, unless their listening room is an anechoic chamber and their reference system is flat (+ or - 1dB from 20hz to 20khz).

Yeah right.

Dec 7, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #74 of 81
It sounds like the Sonic Horizon Hurricane is the best extension cable.

I wonder if the Equinox extension would be better though for people who have Equinox HD600/650 cables.

I'm guessing the Sonic Horizon would be better for Zu cables too.

Anybody compare these before?

Dec 8, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #75 of 81
My guess is that ideally, you'd want to use the same cable for your extension that you are using on your HD600s. Keep a more consistent signal path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back