The Headphone Extension Cable Thread...
Feb 5, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #46 of 81
Thanks Joey,

I look forward to further hearing your thoughts on these.

May 9, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #48 of 81
TheeeChosenOne - you didn't mention what you budget is.

I have the grado 15ft extension and the dimarzio 15ft big red. My ER4P seem to suffer a slight loss of detail when I use the grado extionsion. With the dimarzio this doesn't happen. The build quality of the dimarzio is also excellent. Its thick but very flexible and feels like it will last forever.

Hope that helps.

MJ

May 13, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #50 of 81
I'm using just a plain old Rat Shack one here - 5 metres in length i think.

It's a damn fine cable for only a small outlay. It's about the only thing i've ever from there that hasn't been utter junk!

I've also got the Stax extension cable. Can't really comment on that as there is only one cable that you can use for extending the Stax Electrostatic Headphones with.

May 13, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #51 of 81
Has anyone compared the DIY route to this? You can get canare star quad wire at markertek (Although the fact it's PVC scares me, besides, that stuff has to be a total bitch to solder), and neutrix connectors, you can build a complete extention cable for around 20 bucks, plus shipping, etc for that. I'll try if you guys really want me to, i need a short, 4 foot extention in my system.

May 14, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #52 of 81
I thought I'd chip in here.

Have a look at this:

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/product.CFM?BaseItem=2534

It's a stereo microphone bulk cable made by Mogami with four wires. I've used that for an 25 feet extension replacement cord for my AKG K1000. I've soldered a 4 pin XLR Neutrik connector on one end and the other is soldered directly to the output trannies of my Paramours.

For non balanced headphones (I guess everything but AKG K1000), there's probably also a three wire version of this cable).

Now, I really hate to AB stuff and to waste time in trying to figure out what's better. If I like something, I just keep it and don't look back.
So I don't know whether it has higher highs, lower lows, aerier aeries, stagier soundstages and more imagining imaging than the stock cable.

Jul 5, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #54 of 81
Dont know about the mogami 2534, but I just got a Sonic Horizins hurricane headphone extension, and its letting the sound through with a minimum of damage. Thanks Markl

Jul 13, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #55 of 81
just ordered a SH 3 meter headphone extension cable. my guess is that it'll take about 2 weeks to arrive on my doorstep. i've always had a hard time waiting for my headphone stuff to arrive...these next 2 weeks will be a life time
biggrin.gif
i'll definitely post my thoughts about the cable when it arrives
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #56 of 81
...Jim at Magwires (see item 1062146837 at Audiogon.com) just made me a kickass headphone extension cable using his "Ultra" style. 3 meters, $60, and sounds terrific. Looks pretty cool too. BTW, he was great to work with, suggesting changes and improvements along the way. This guy was really responsive. Cheers/

Jul 15, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #57 of 81
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive headphone extension to create a front headphone jack on my computer. Basically attach the female end to a hole in the front of my case and run the wire through the case out the back and plug it into the analog out.

1 meter should do it. I'm looking to pay around 10 bucks. I want to stay away from anything really cheap but I don't want to spend 50 bucks on 1 meter. I remember seeing the Sunrises for 5$/.5meter but they only go down to 2 meters.

I've looked around a little and I can't find anything really. Does anyone know of something that would fit what I'm looking for?

Jul 20, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #58 of 81
Alright, did a little more looking and found 3 possible candidates. Looking for some opinions.

1.) Markertek Balanced Stereo

2.)Xwire Gold (Made for the iPod, seem decent from the description)

3.)These Ratshack Cables.

Let me know which ones you think are best or if you know better ones that I can get for a similar pricepoint, 10-20$ at least 1m but not more than 3m (3 to 9ft approx.) See above post.

Thanks

Jul 24, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #59 of 81
I just recieved my big red extension. It does sound nice, but I think i need to leave it running for a bit to break it in... the high's sound a little brittle I think. Perhaps I'm just being weird, I was using this with my er4s. Another thing I was wondering, was does the fact my er4s using gold plated connectors and the wire, and gilmore not using gold, have anything to do with anything? please explain wise ones : P

Jul 24, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #60 of 81
Quote:

Another thing I was wondering, was does the fact my er4s using gold plated connectors and the wire, and gilmore not using gold, have anything to do with anything?

He, he.
tongue.gif
You will make a fine paranoid audiophile. I see many tweaks and upgrades in your future.
tongue.gif
No, it makes no difference. Let the Big Red run-in a while. From what I recall, the Silver was very mellow cable, a little warm-ish, not as open up top as the Sonic Horizons stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back