The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #6,286 of 6,326
Could someone do a sanity check for me on the below response from chat GPT re GSX mk1? 8 watts into 16ohm sounds high.

The Headamp GSX mk1 is a headphone amplifier that is capable of delivering a substantial amount of power to drive a wide range of headphones. The exact power output of the GSX mk1 at different impedances can vary based on the specific configuration and design of the amplifier, but some general specifications are:

16 ohms: The GSX mk1 can deliver up to 8 watts of power per channel into a 16-ohm load, which is typically more than enough to drive most high-sensitivity headphones.

33 ohms: The power output of the GSX mk1 will be lower at higher impedances, but it can still deliver a substantial amount of power. The exact power output into a 33-ohm load will depend on the specific design of the amplifier, but it is likely to be in the range of 4 to 6 watts per channel.

50 ohms: At a 50-ohm load, the power output of the GSX mk1 will likely be lower still, but it should still be sufficient to drive many headphones to high volumes. The exact power output will depend on the specific configuration of the amplifier, but it is likely to be in the range of 2 to 4 watts per channel.

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #6,287 of 6,326
No data for MK1 but I did find this tidbit about the MK2.

Source
The power rating of the GSX Mk2 is very impressive. The Mk2, single ended, is capable of putting out 3.2w into 10 ohms. It will put out a robust power of 1.25w into 50 ohms. The Mk2 power is considerably more when used in balanced mode. The GSX Mk2 puts a robust 1 watt into 300-ohm headphones and puts 5 watts of pure Class A power into 50 ohms and is maxed out at 12.8w into 10-ohm loads. The is sufficient to drive most headphones easily.

May 9, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #6,288 of 6,326
Hey guys, just picked one of these up and was wondering if anyone can answer a couple questions, as the manual is lacking info. When I turn on/off with headphones plugged in, I get some small pops, is this to be expected? Also when adjusting volume, sometimes I get the slightest noise while adjusting, but stops when dact is left in position. Is this just the nature of the dact? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May 9, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #6,289 of 6,326
Yes turning off/on with hp on, can result in a tick. I leave my amp on 24-7 and only put on hp after dac and amp is on. The crackle in the volume wheel is dust. Now im no diy guy so there’s fixes on internet supposedly.

May 9, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #6,290 of 6,326
The stepped attenuator will make some noise over the headphones when the amp is powered and you turn it. I don't know about the pops - I usually disconnect my headphones before I turn an amp off.

May 9, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #6,291 of 6,326
The stepped attenuator will make some noise over the headphones when the amp is powered and you turn it. I don't know about the pops - I usually disconnect my headphones before I turn an amp off.
When I had my mini it was the same, so I only plugged my headphones in once amp was powered on, and unplugged them before I powered it off. I should’ve just proceeded as I did with the mini lol. The stepped attenuator making a little noise while powered on I can live with. Shouldn’t be dust as this is a new unit, and was purchased through a dealer in Canada.

May 10, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #6,292 of 6,326
Hey guys, just picked one of these up and was wondering if anyone can answer a couple questions, as the manual is lacking info. When I turn on/off with headphones plugged in, I get some small pops, is this to be expected? Also when adjusting volume, sometimes I get the slightest noise while adjusting, but stops when dact is left in position. Is this just the nature of the dact? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Both are normal. Mine is a bit old from around 2017/2018 so the DACT "pop" noise when adjusting volume is worse than yours probably.

May 10, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #6,293 of 6,326
Both are normal. Mine is a bit old from around 2017/2018 so the DACT "pop" noise when adjusting volume is worse than yours probably.
The DACT doesn't "pop", just the amp IF I leave my HP's plugged in when I turn on/off the amp. Thanks for the piece of mind all. The MKII is wonderful, and holy crap the power!

May 10, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #6,294 of 6,326
The pops are normal when turning the amp on and off. You should alway disconnect your transducers when turning the unit on/off, so you don't damage them.

Also, there is a cleaning procedure DACT has on their website. That should take care of the noise you are hearing when changing the volume.

http://www.dact.com/html/contact_cleaning.html

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #6,295 of 6,326
I would not plug my headphones in before the amp is powered on.

Also best to unplug headphones before powering the amp down.

Congrats on your new amp....the GS-X mk2 is a wonderful piece of gear. Balanced and single ended connections for headphones, three gain settings,pre- amp function,mono design...the amp is a real workhorse.

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #6,296 of 6,326
Has anyone compared head-to-head GS-X MK2 and Holo Bliss? What works best with which headphones?

p.s.
I have a Violectric DHA V590. It has a logic block that, when the amplifier is turned on, conducts a POST. And only after passing the test, the voltage is applied to the headphone and preamp outputs. Additionally, you can activate the "MUTE" button. Thus, the headphones connected to the amplifier always remain safe and there is no noise and pops.
If the amplifier is placed in a cramped rack and it gets too hot, the overheating protection will work and the headphones will immediately turn off.
If you are hit by static electricity (from your clothes), the amplifier will sense it too and protect against damage to the amplifier and headphones.
Genius amplifier. I love it.
It will be great if GS-X MK3 will have the same or more advanced logic block.

Sep 17, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #6,297 of 6,326
I have a Violectric DHA V590. It has a logic block that, when the amplifier is turned on, conducts a POST. And only after passing the test, the voltage is applied to the headphone and preamp outputs. Additionally, you can activate the "MUTE" button. Thus, the headphones connected to the amplifier always remain safe and there is no noise and pops.
If the amplifier is placed in a cramped rack and it gets too hot, the overheating protection will work and the headphones will immediately turn off.
If you are hit by static electricity (from your clothes), the amplifier will sense it too and protect against damage to the amplifier and headphones.
Genius amplifier. I love it.
It will be great if GS-X MK3 will have the same or more advanced logic block.
I just received my GS-X MK2 today, the last SS amp I had before that was a V550 Pro. I got rid of the Violectric recently in a trade (for an A&S Agartha 2021), and while I do appreciate the over-engineering of Violectric and some of the features specific to their amps (such as the pre-amp DIP switches, and the signal switch for pre or post-fader), the GS-X is a clear step up in sonic capabilities. The only time I ever tripped the safety protection on the V550 Pro was from an XLR cable not completely plugged in. Never had a problem with overheating in my rack, static charges etc.

Sep 17, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #6,298 of 6,326
I think GSX mk2 can use a better power supply for a bigger and more dense sound profile with improved bass (side benefit is a slightly warmer sound). You can go DIY (dual golden reference) or find a PSU of mk1.

Sep 17, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #6,299 of 6,326
Use a can of micro electronics cleaner (eg DeoxIT 5% Spray Contact Cleaner) and spray directly into the dact, turn multiple times and the noise should go away. The spray is non conductive but does leave a bit of oil residue.
Once you are done put in a couple drops of Cardas Audio contact fluid (comes in a tiny eye dropper) for future protection.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #6,300 of 6,326
I think GSX mk2 can use a better power supply for a bigger and more dense sound profile with improved bass (side benefit is a slightly warmer sound). You can go DIY (dual golden reference) or find a PSU of mk1.
This. I have the MK1 with the upgraded dynalo plus modules and prefer the sound over the GSX MK2 with my R10, Qualia, and HD800. I think the GSX-MKII additional power maybe able to drive the Susvara better though. IMO, the MK1 with Dynalo plus just have more 3-D staging and less upfront sound wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back