The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Nov 4, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #6,256 of 6,326
One of the criteria that I loosely base my purchasing on is how many for sales of a piece of gear has on Head-fi, ebay, USAudiomart, and Audiogon. If you look recently there are a lot of Mini sales, and you rarely see a GS-X MKII out for sale. Anyway. I can tell you the GS-X MKII is a real keeper. I am replacing a Burson C3XR and Benchmark HPA4 with the GS-X MKII and it is leaps and bounds better than both of these amps. YMMV

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #6,257 of 6,326
One of the criteria that I loosely base my purchasing on is how many for sales of a piece of gear has on Head-fi, ebay, USAudiomart, and Audiogon. If you look recently there are a lot of Mini sales, and you rarely see a GS-X MKII out for sale. Anyway. I can tell you the GS-X MKII is a real keeper. I am replacing a Burson C3XR and Benchmark HPA4 with the GS-X MKII and it is leaps and bounds better than both of these amps. YMMV
I can agree with you on all points. I owned the GS-X MK2 for two years. It was paired with my Chord DAVE and it was truly just an amplifier with gain when pair with it. The transparency, resolve, note weight and depth to the sound is amazing on the GS-X MK2.

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #6,258 of 6,326
I can agree with you on all points. I owned the GS-X MK2 for two years. It was paired with my Chord DAVE and it was truly just an amplifier with gain when pair with it. The transparency, resolve, note weight and depth to the sound is amazing on the GS-X MK2.
Really like your Avatar. Sweet Audio chain you have there.

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #6,259 of 6,326
Really like your Avatar. Sweet Audio chain you have there.
Thanks, it’s ever evolving and tend to want to try different things.

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #6,261 of 6,326
Question for everyone..... What's your opinion on using the the 4-pin XLR output as opposed to the two 3-pin XLR outputs? Any differences? Better quality, Better separation? I'm thinking about picking up a Kimber Axios with the 3 pin XLRs.

By the way, I think the Axios sounds superior to any cable I've tried with the GS-X MKII and DCA Expanse.

Nov 28, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #6,262 of 6,326
The 3 pin XLR balanced output was a plain stupid idea from the start with no advantages whatsoever.
Balanced signal carries 4 phases, why the hell would you split it over two 3 pin XLRs and leave 1 pin unused on each XLR?
One 4 XLR pin is just better ergonomics, is a more efficient use of space and probably better noise rejection from not splitting.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #6,263 of 6,326
The 3 pin XLR balanced output was a plain stupid idea from the start with no advantages whatsoever.
Balanced signal carries 4 phases, why the hell would you split it over two 3 pin XLRs and leave 1 pin unused on each XLR?
One 4 XLR pin is just better ergonomics, is a more efficient use of space and probably better noise rejection from not splitting.
Thanks. I’ll stick with 4 pin XLR then.

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #6,264 of 6,326
Actually it's not a stupid idea. If you want to listen/compare different 4-Pin XLR terminated headphones at the same time. For this purpose I have a Dual 3-Pin XLR to 4-Pin XLR adapter which comes in very handy, and as well as for when I'm having mini meets.

Nov 30, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #6,265 of 6,326
Actually it's not a stupid idea. If you want to listen/compare different 4-Pin XLR terminated headphones at the same time. For this purpose I have a Dual 3-Pin XLR to 4-Pin XLR adapter which comes in very handy, and as well as for when I'm having mini meets.
Actually it is stupid, by the very fact it exists in first place. Good you have an adapter to assist getting around the flawed methodology which should never have seen the light of day.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #6,266 of 6,326
Actually it is stupid, by the very fact it exists in first place. Good you have an adapter to assist getting around the flawed methodology which should never have seen the light of day.
How stupid of me to utilize both, the 3-Pin XLR and 4-Pin XLR outputs when I want to comparing/listening to different headphones at the same time. I wish I had contact with you sooner than later, this way I would've known better.

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #6,267 of 6,326
Hi all, I have a question about cleaning dust out of the stepped volume pot attenuator mine has become impossible to live with, also general cleaning of circuitry without causing any lasting damage, what approach should be taken?

My GSX was from the first batch so it's well overdue for some TLC, appreciate any advice in advance cheers :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #6,268 of 6,326
Hi all, I have a question about cleaning dust out of the stepped volume pot attenuator mine has become impossible to live with, also general cleaning of circuitry without causing any lasting damage, what approach should be taken?

My GSX was from the first batch so it's well overdue for some TLC, appreciate any advice in advance cheers :thumbsup:
You could just use canned air and blow it out. Or use an ESD anti-static vacuum.

If you want to get down and dirty and clean the entire volume control, here's a howto:

https://www.jimmyauw.com/2013/06/09/cleaning-dact-stepped-attenuator/

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #6,269 of 6,326
So here is an unpopular opinion. GSX mk1 can sound better than mk2 in some setup and mk1 with mk2 modules is a better sounding amp than mk2.

I always wished Justin would continue to sell the mk1 alongside mk2 because they sound different. Mk2 modules make going from mk1 to mk2 and back very easy to do.

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #6,270 of 6,326
How does this amp compare to the Ferrum stack? I Susvaras daily and always wondered about the Headamp too.
Better. Ferrum sounds good but probably a bit weak for Sus and HE6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back