The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Feb 11, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #5,477 of 6,326
I went to the HeadFi meet in Phoenix this weekend and finally heard a setup that I’d “dump” GS-X for. ....the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii with the Stax SR-009. If there’s an “end game” in this hobby, I think that might be it. I was absolutely floored by that setup.

A couple of points I would make - you might find the SR-009 a little bit fatiguing longer term given that it is somewhat bright, and dynamic/planar headphones have moved forward quite a bit from the LCD-3 (if that is your baseline for comparison).

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #5,478 of 6,326
Regarding the Stax SR-009, you may find that the (slight) lack of heft in the sound--in the deep bass and mid-bass mostly--makes the SR-009 sound extremely delicate and detailed at first, but in the long run you may find the sound slightly thin and possibly fatiguing--it is so to me.

It is very much like the Pepsi and Coke taste tests. Pepsi, being sweeter than Coke, would taste better in a quick A-B comparison, but in the long run, I found it hard to drink a whole can of Pepsi because it is just a little too sweet for me--apologies to Pepsi fans.

I agree with you, in found the combination Blue Hawaii/SR-009 truly magical. But I kept my GS-X Mk2 and never upgraded from the SR-007 to the SR-009/BHSE.

No, in term of cost inflation--more like conflagration in view of the costs of recent IEMs and HPs--there is no end to it. I got out of Home Audio 10 years ago when It took over $200 grand to put together an "audiophile" system. $16,000 speaker cables, anyone? The higher the price, the fewer people can afford it, the fewer units are made and the cost per unit goes up still. And so it went on and on, like Celine Dion's Titanic song, And then, just like the Titanic, the whole industry sank.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #5,479 of 6,326
Has any one tested how the matrix x-sabre or matrix x-sabre pro work with the headamp?
My experience tells me that we should consider both the chips and the analog conversion together.

My GS-XMk2 is very sensitive to the source. With the Oppo 105--I believe it uses the Saber chips--the sound was "thin". Some described it as bright; I would not go that far but the deficient foundation does tilt the "balance" toward the upper frequencies. I had the Oppo 105 modified by ModWright, which used a separate power supply and a tube analog section. The sound is positively glorious: it has a heft that the factory Oppo 105 never had while the top end remains detailed, yet delicately sweet, without the "brightness."

I recently bought the new Oppo 205, on the claim it has a dramatically improved audio section over the 105--for this reason, they may not offer the Darby version. The stock 205 does sound better than the stock 105, but through the GS-XMk2, the thinness in the sound remains. I am putting the ModWright 105 back in the system because modding the 205 will set me back $2500-$2900. No thank you! I am using the 205 for its vastly improved video.

So in short, I think we should consider both the chips and the analog treatment together. The GS-XMk2 will reveal everything, warts and all.

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #5,482 of 6,326
I went to the HeadFi meet in Phoenix this weekend and finally heard a setup that I’d “dump” GS-X for. ....the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii with the Stax SR-009. If there’s an “end game” in this hobby, I think that might be it. I was absolutely floored by that setup.

Well if you want to sell your gsx mk2 so you can begin your travels down that road I am here to buy it off of you

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #5,483 of 6,326
My experience tells me that we should consider both the chips and the analog conversion together.

My GS-XMk2 is very sensitive to the source. With the Oppo 105--I believe it uses the Saber chips--the sound was "thin". Some described it as bright; I would not go that far but the deficient foundation does tilt the "balance" toward the upper frequencies. I had the Oppo 105 modified by ModWright, which used a separate power supply and a tube analog section. The sound is positively glorious: it has a heft that the factory Oppo 105 never had while the top end remains detailed, yet delicately sweet, without the "brightness."

I recently bought the new Oppo 205, on the claim it has a dramatically improved audio section over the 105--for this reason, they may not offer the Darby version. The stock 205 does sound better than the stock 105, but through the GS-XMk2, the thinness in the sound remains. I am putting the ModWright 105 back in the system because modding the 205 will set me back $2500-$2900. No thank you! I am using the 205 for its vastly improved video.

So in short, I think we should consider both the chips and the analog treatment together. The GS-XMk2 will reveal everything, warts and all.
Your experience is the same as mine with the OPPO-105. The 105 is an exceptional BDP but the audio DAC is just too bright. I had no idea how much bass I was missing till I started using dedicated SACD players (currently the Marantz SA8005). The bass on the GS-XMk2 is outstanding. I use the Gorrilaz "Demon Days" as a reference for bass extension and the Senns HD800 thumps real hard to that CD.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #5,484 of 6,326

You need to try a new Abyss Phi with the GS-X Mk2...might change your mind. :wink: Either way, a GS-X Mk2 for regular headphones and a BHSE for stats...can't go wrong with either!

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #5,487 of 6,326
That is a feasible option! Do you find the Abyss preferable to the Utopia?

In certain ways, yes. They are the most speaker-like headphones I've ever heard and with them and the Utopias, I don't miss my Stax setup one bit.

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #5,488 of 6,326
My GS-X Mk2 is almost in my hands. Customs charges have been pre-paid and I should have it tomorrow (Thursday at the latest).

I don't think I have had this much anticipation for a piece of audio gear for a long time. After a lot of messing about and wasted cash, I am very happy with my DAC (Metrum Pavane - upgraded to Adagio standard) and headphone stable (modded HEKv2, HD800S, Aeon Closed). Just missing a TOTL, hyper-transparent SS amp. The M9 is a good unit, but not as transparent as I would like. Comparing it to my tube amp, I know that it is the weak link in my chain.

Bring on the GS-X Mk2!!

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #5,489 of 6,326
Now THIS is going to be an interesting combination: Metrum Pavane (upgraded) with the GSX MK2! I am following Metrum Acoustics for a long time, but never came across someone using Metrum DACs with the headamp. I am very curious to hear how the combo sounds!

My GS-X Mk2 is almost in my hands. Customs charges have been pre-paid and I should have it tomorrow (Thursday at the latest).

I don't think I have had this much anticipation for a piece of audio gear for a long time. After a lot of messing about and wasted cash, I am very happy with my DAC (Metrum Pavane - upgraded to Adagio standard) and headphone stable (modded HEKv2, HD800S, Aeon Closed). Just missing a TOTL, hyper-transparent SS amp. The M9 is a good unit, but not as transparent as I would like. Comparing it to my tube amp, I know that it is the weak link in my chain.

Bring on the GS-X Mk2!!

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #5,490 of 6,326
Now THIS is going to be an interesting combination: Metrum Pavane (upgraded) with the GSX MK2! I am following Metrum Acoustics for a long time, but never came across someone using Metrum DACs with the headamp. I am very curious to hear how the combo sounds!

Full report in about 2-3 weeks. Going to run this thing hard out, then do some hardcore A/B testing with the M9. It's going to be amp bukakke on steroids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back