The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Feb 13, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #5,492 of 6,325
Got my amp about an hour ago and have it setup and am pushing some test tracks through it to my HD800S and HEKv2.

These are early impressions, so take this with a grain of salt.

Build quality is exactly what you would expect - flawless. A beautiful piece of audio gear.

This amp is "wire with gain". Lots of folks use that term way too easily - this amp really is exactly that. I have owned at some point in the past 4 years Auralic Taurus Mk2 / 430HA / V281 / M9. None of these are transparent like the GS-X Mk2. Taurus is perhaps the closest relative, but that amp was also on the bright and thin side. The GS-X is not. Right out of the box it is super clear, clean and precise. The M9 is somewhat veiled in comparison.

The treble is not an issue. I was expecting the treble to be a touch on the rough side until at least a few hundred hours were put onto the amp. Not a bit of it. Treble is clean and precise. No roughness or any other top end nasties that I can hear. That is remarkable for an amp with about 1 hour on it. I was using as a treble test track - Goldfinger by Shirley Bassey. This track has powerful female vocals with high, powerful brass blasting away. If there is a treble problem in your system this track will very likely highlight it. I ran this track through twice, LOUD, using HD800S and HEKv2. Treble is smooth, detailed and not in the least fatiguing (beyond the track itself). That surprised me. I think that says a lot about my source (Metrum Pavane upgraded to Adagio standard).

To those that say that the GS-X Mk2 has a treble issue, I say - Bollix. Get a better DAC. Not some 9018 Sabre unit (Vega), or a forward/edgy unit (Yggy). I would not want to pair this amp with either of those. So if you read/speak to anyone that says the GS-X Mk2 is bright, or has a treble problem, find out what DAC they are using. This amp will highlight the characteristics of that DAC like nothing else I have heard. A laid back R2R NOS DAC is what I would recommend. My Pavane is turning out to be every bit as good a match as I was hoping - will know more about that in a few weeks.

I will repeat my opinion that Tyll did this amp a disservice in his review over at Inner Fidelity. There is no treble issue with the GS-X Mk2. There is a transparency issue. If your DAC isn't good enough to treat the treble with respect then you are going to hear that - loud and clear. You can try and mask that with darker or rolled off headphones, but that is addressing the symptom - not the root cause. Go get a better DAC that can deal with the extreme transparency of this amp - that's the answer.

Downside? I have two quibbles - no remote. I am a lazy slob and would love to have a remote. The volume control could use a slightly finer division - the jumps are sometimes a little too much. Note these are quibbles.

Overall - I am more than happy with my purchase. I will keep the M9 as a backup in case of disaster.

EDIT - I should point out that there is a tiny (I mean tiny) amount of hardness to the sound that you get with new gear. This is something that disappears after a few hundred hours (usually). I have to listen for it to hear it - not in the way of the music at all.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #5,493 of 6,325
Congrats on the purchase. Also concur that gsx mk2 is not bright, but really steps aside. I love the TT combo in my case but lots of options.

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #5,494 of 6,325
Congrats on the purchase. Also concur that gsx mk2 is not bright, but really steps aside. I love the TT combo in my case but lots of options.

The more I listen to this amp the more impressed I am with it. Is there any head amp that is more transparent, anywhere? Doubt it.

Pity it gets a bad name for the treble when that really isn't the amp's fault (IMHO). Pair it with the right DAC and it is magical.

Well done to Justin at Headamp for making an amp that looks great and sounds great.

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #5,495 of 6,325
Excellent review. Thanks.

I do agree with everything you said.

About the quibbles, I do have a not so small one to add. While the GS-X Mk2 sailed through nearly all of my HPs, namely the HD800s, TH900, Utopia, HE1000V2 and even the venerable Grado PS1000, it did run out of steam with the ridiculously inefficient HE-6. But that may not be such a big deal now since the HE-6 has been more than ably replaced by the HE1000v2.

Regarding the DAC, I found out that it is really not the fault of the Sabre chips, but rather the inadequate design of the analog section. My stock Oppo 93, 95 and 105 all mercilessly tortured me with their ear-piercing highs and unbearable sibilance. Even the new Oppo 205 with its much improved audio section is not entirely free of these problems, problems that the GS-X Mk2 reveals mercilessly. In come the Mod Squad. I had my 95 modified to the ModWright version with a separate power supply box, all tube analog section and Audio Magic wiring. The difference must be heard to be believed. The high level of transparency and detail remains but the unbearable highs are replaced by the most glorious, sweet, delicate sound I ever heard. Even the sound stage and depth improved immeasurably.

Unfortunately, all theses significant improvements came at a cost. Nevertheless, I am having my Oppo 205 mod-right. Is the additional $2900 worth it?—currently $2000 for the early birds—I don’t know. But people spending $3,000 for a pair of headphones has long abdicated their right to complain about prices.

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #5,496 of 6,325
Unfortunately I am also a lazy slob and wanted a remote control for volume. I wanted an amp to slot into my two channel system as the source is the impeccable Linn Klimax DS. I sit about 15 feet away from my stereo racks.

In the end I choose the 430HA. Care to offer some comparisons between the two?

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #5,497 of 6,325
So not to be totally left out in the dust I picked up the headamp gilmore lite mk2 to allow me tomhold out. This amp rips. I can only
Imagine how much better the gsx mk2 will be at driving my lcd3

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #5,498 of 6,325
Excellent review. Thanks.

I do agree with everything you said.

About the quibbles, I do have a not so small one to add. While the GS-X Mk2 sailed through nearly all of my HPs, namely the HD800s, TH900, Utopia, HE1000V2 and even the venerable Grado PS1000, it did run out of steam with the ridiculously inefficient HE-6. But that may not be such a big deal now since the HE-6 has been more than ably replaced by the HE1000v2.

Regarding the DAC, I found out that it is really not the fault of the Sabre chips, but rather the inadequate design of the analog section. My stock Oppo 93, 95 and 105 all mercilessly tortured me with their ear-piercing highs and unbearable sibilance. Even the new Oppo 205 with its much improved audio section is not entirely free of these problems, problems that the GS-X Mk2 reveals mercilessly. In come the Mod Squad. I had my 95 modified to the ModWright version with a separate power supply box, all tube analog section and Audio Magic wiring. The difference must be heard to be believed. The high level of transparency and detail remains but the unbearable highs are replaced by the most glorious, sweet, delicate sound I ever heard. Even the sound stage and depth improved immeasurably.

Unfortunately, all theses significant improvements came at a cost. Nevertheless, I am having my Oppo 205 mod-right. Is the additional $2900 worth it?—currently $2000 for the early birds—I don’t know. But people spending $3,000 for a pair of headphones has long abdicated their right to complain about prices.

I have a HE6, but have not bothered to try it yet. The modded HEKv2 is a much better headphone IMHO, and the specs of the GS-X just fall short of what you need do drive it. Will give it a try soon.

Agreed on the Sabre 9018 comment. My issue is that I am yet to hear this magical 9018 implementation that doesn't have treble that sounds like ass. Every single one of them I have heard has treble issues. The 9028PRO chip seems to be a different animal - I really like how it sounds in the iBasso DX200.

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #5,499 of 6,325
...In the end I choose the 430HA. Care to offer some comparisons between the two?

I am a bad person to ask as I have little good to say about the 430HA. In fact, I have a personal stalker that tends to show up and abuse me anytime I post anything negative about the 430HA on HF. It's kinda amusing. I'm sure the guy has a financial stake in selling the 430HA and is using different IDs to mask who they are.

I'll let rip and see if he shows. Might be fun.

I found the 430HA veiled, boring, slow and en-engaging. My tube amp, admittedly an exceptionally good custom 300B tube amp with exceptional tubes in it, had better transparency and technicalities than the 430HA. Better bass punch, better detail, better dynamics. When a tube rig beats a TOTL SS amp in the technical aspects you know something is wrong. Very wrong.

On the plus side, it is well featured, well built and has gobs of power. Also has a nice musical sound. Just don't expect much excitement or engagement.

As always, YMMV.

Now lets see if I get stalked :alien:

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #5,500 of 6,325
Unfortunately I am also a lazy slob and wanted a remote control for volume. I wanted an amp to slot into my two channel system as the source is the impeccable Linn Klimax DS. I sit about 15 feet away from my stereo racks.

The GS-XMk2 and the SimAudio Moon Neo 430HA are two very different animals--somehow the name Neo keeps reminding me of the movie the Matrix, but that's another story...

The GS-X Mk2 is very transparent and will convey the sound of the source very faithfully, warts and all. If I have a quibble--another quibble--the GS-X also treats some HP better than other. It sounds wonderful with my HD800s and HE1000v2 but it is not as kind to the stock TH900, or the Lawther-modified TH900. and not even the new TH900Mk2 (?), I mean the green one. Often, when I listen to the HD800s, I connect it to the Apex Teton. I favor the GS-XMk2 when I listen to the HE1000v2.

While the Neo 430HA, as TonyNewman correctly stated, lacks excitement and transparency, it has two excellent virtues in my opinion: it is not very sensitive to different sources, and it treats all HPs equinamously. You can throw at it the high-impedance HD800s, the exciting HE1000v2, the over-excited PS1000 with its U-shape sound, the subdued Utopia or even the ridiculously inefficient HE-6, the 430HA drives them all without batting an eye. It is definitely NOT the most transparent HeadAmp, nor the most exciting, but it is probably the least sensitive to the sources and HPs. To some, this is not a bad thing. When I want to compare several HPs, I use the 430HA because I know that the SS GS-XMak2 and the tube Apex Teton play favorite.

And, as you said, the remote control is N-I-C-E.

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #5,501 of 6,325
Super review! And very interesting aspect concerning the DAC inasmuch as R2Rs are to be paired with the GSX-MK2. Makes we want to look into Metrum's Pavane DAC (or even the Adagio, but VERY pricey!).

Got my amp about an hour ago and have it setup and am pushing some test tracks through it to my HD800S and HEKv2.

These are early impressions, so take this with a grain of salt.

Build quality is exactly what you would expect - flawless. A beautiful piece of audio gear.

This amp is "wire with gain". Lots of folks use that term way too easily - this amp really is exactly that. I have owned at some point in the past 4 years Auralic Taurus Mk2 / 430HA / V281 / M9. None of these are transparent like the GS-X Mk2. Taurus is perhaps the closest relative, but that amp was also on the bright and thin side. The GS-X is not. Right out of the box it is super clear, clean and precise. The M9 is somewhat veiled in comparison.

The treble is not an issue. I was expecting the treble to be a touch on the rough side until at least a few hundred hours were put onto the amp. Not a bit of it. Treble is clean and precise. No roughness or any other top end nasties that I can hear. That is remarkable for an amp with about 1 hour on it. I was using as a treble test track - Goldfinger by Shirley Bassey. This track has powerful female vocals with high, powerful brass blasting away. If there is a treble problem in your system this track will very likely highlight it. I ran this track through twice, LOUD, using HD800S and HEKv2. Treble is smooth, detailed and not in the least fatiguing (beyond the track itself). That surprised me. I think that says a lot about my source (Metrum Pavane upgraded to Adagio standard).

To those that say that the GS-X Mk2 has a treble issue, I say - Bollix. Get a better DAC. Not some 9018 Sabre unit (Vega), or a forward/edgy unit (Yggy). I would not want to pair this amp with either of those. So if you read/speak to anyone that says the GS-X Mk2 is bright, or has a treble problem, find out what DAC they are using. This amp will highlight the characteristics of that DAC like nothing else I have heard. A laid back R2R NOS DAC is what I would recommend. My Pavane is turning out to be every bit as good a match as I was hoping - will know more about that in a few weeks.

I will repeat my opinion that Tyll did this amp a disservice in his review over at Inner Fidelity. There is no treble issue with the GS-X Mk2. There is a transparency issue. If your DAC isn't good enough to treat the treble with respect then you are going to hear that - loud and clear. You can try and mask that with darker or rolled off headphones, but that is addressing the symptom - not the root cause. Go get a better DAC that can deal with the extreme transparency of this amp - that's the answer.

Downside? I have two quibbles - no remote. I am a lazy slob and would love to have a remote. The volume control could use a slightly finer division - the jumps are sometimes a little too much. Note these are quibbles.

Overall - I am more than happy with my purchase. I will keep the M9 as a backup in case of disaster.

EDIT - I should point out that there is a tiny (I mean tiny) amount of hardness to the sound that you get with new gear. This is something that disappears after a few hundred hours (usually). I have to listen for it to hear it - not in the way of the music at all.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #5,502 of 6,325
Super review! And very interesting aspect concerning the DAC inasmuch as R2Rs are to be paired with the GSX-MK2. Makes we want to look into Metrum's Pavane DAC (or even the Adagio, but VERY pricey!).

An alternative might be the Holo Spring Kitsune edition. I think this DAC has an NOS mode that is getting rave reviews. I have never heard it, but have read plenty of positive feedback on it.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #5,503 of 6,325
An alternative might be the Holo Spring Kitsune edition. I think this DAC has an NOS mode that is getting rave reviews. I have never heard it, but have read plenty of positive feedback on it.
I can tell you first hand that the Holo Spring in NOS mode paired with the GS-X mk2 is outstanding! Incredible amounts of detail, very natural.
In fact, I use the NOS mode on the Spring EXCLUSIVELY. The oversampling modes did nothing for me.
@MacedonianHero has high praise for the same combo in his reviews.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #5,504 of 6,325
And to think what the BHSE / Holo Spring may sound like :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back