The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Feb 5, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #5,461 of 6,326
I was kinda hoping to not want/need another headamp ever again after getting the M9, but it will be nice to have both the M9 and the GS-X. One a nuts-out "wire with gain" monster, the other a more subtle presentation. That's the thinking, at least. Will see how it works out after I get the amp and have a few weeks listening with it.

Hey Tony,
Did you receive your GSX MKII ?
If you did, could you please share some impressions and do a comparison versus your Master 9.
I own a Master 9 as well and sometimes with LCD-4 I feel I need just a little bit more grunt, raw speed and impact to be perfect.
I hope GSX does exactly that.
Thanks in advance!

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #5,462 of 6,326
Hey Tony,
Did you receive your GSX MKII ?
If you did, could you please share some impressions and do a comparison versus your Master 9.
I own a Master 9 as well and sometimes with LCD-4 I feel I need just a little bit more grunt, raw speed and impact to be perfect.
I hope GSX does exactly that.
Thanks in advance!

It hasn't shipped yet. Amp is built and fully paid for some weeks ago, just awaiting shipping from Justin.

Happy to post my thoughts on a comparison with the M9, but it will take a few weeks (both to arrive and some time for burn in and familiarisation with the new amp).

Interesting that what you are looking for (more grunt, raw speed and impact) are pretty much exactly the same reasons that I went with the GS-X Mk2.

EDIT - just heard from Justin - shipping this week. Will report back vs Master 9 in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #5,464 of 6,326
Is any one here looking to sell their headamp gsx mk2?

If you can't find a seller, the good news is that the wait times from Headamp are pretty reasonable now. I placed my order in late December (black, 230V) and the amp ships in early Feb. That's nothing like the wait times from a few years back.

Feb 7, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #5,465 of 6,326
The real question is, "what would I replace it with?" I've considered selling mine a few times, but there's nothing out there that makes my wallet jump out of my pocket.

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #5,466 of 6,326

It's funny, people rarely sell their GSX MK2, I haven't seen any here or @Audiogon for quite some time. You have a better chance to upgrade/change your DAC but GSX MK2 is a KEEEPER. Wonderful AMP. Justin/Peter are excellent guys! :) I'm not sure there will be GSX MK3, as MK2 is just excellent.

I'm writing the review listening Ayre Codex + GSX-MK2 + SONY MDR Z1R + Barry White (This Love) and I love it :)))

Have fun buying GSX MK2!

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #5,467 of 6,326
It's funny, people rarely sell their GSX MK2, I haven't seen any here or @Audiogon for quite some time.

That’s not true as I do see people sell their GSX-MK2 every now and then, at probably USD2,000~USD2,300.

You don’t see so many on the resale market because it’s not something that many people own, nor is something that people would sell to move up the chain (frankly there aren’t much alternatives left, except when one doesn’t like its neutral/bright sound)

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #5,468 of 6,326
I’m married to my gsx mk2

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #5,470 of 6,326
I'm loving mine, although I'm using it as pre-amp only. It's just brilliant! The only reason I might take it out of my audio chain would be if I put a new DAC with digital volume control that I could hook up directly to my power amp. But even then, I'd keep it for a pure headphone amp. It is THE pre-amp for me!

My new power amp should arrive next week. I'm curious how it pairs with the GSX-MK2. Will give impressions once the power amp is exchanged.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #5,472 of 6,326
Since we've hijacked the GS-1 thread, I thought its about time this wonderfully versatile, clean and transparent amp got its own new thread.
smile.gif

I mean how many amps can drive sensitive IEMs, low impedance/highly efficient dynamic headphones, high impedance headphones and orthos?

Here's a photo of mine:

Waiting on the new upgrade modules in about a month's time. Good times!

Oh and can you tell I'm a big Leaf fan?.
tongue.gif

UPDATE: Added a photo of my new black beauty...GS-X MK2:
Since we've hijacked the GS-1 thread, I thought its about time this wonderfully versatile, clean and transparent amp got its own new thread.
smile.gif

I mean how many amps can drive sensitive IEMs, low impedance/highly efficient dynamic headphones, high impedance headphones and orthos?

Here's a photo of mine:

tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #5,473 of 6,326
smile.gif

Here's a photo of mine:

tongue.gif

I Love my Amp, and I finally figured out the Amp is a window into the upstream gear, the better the source and DAC the better the sound. I now own a Marantz SA8005 and it delivers all the bass and sound that I would expect out of a $10,000 unit. Seriously the only thing I have heard comparable is a Woo Audio WA5 with Sophia Princess tubes, about 5X the price for this amp.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #5,475 of 6,326
I went to the HeadFi meet in Phoenix this weekend and finally heard a setup that I’d “dump” GS-X for. ....the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii with the Stax SR-009. If there’s an “end game” in this hobby, I think that might be it. I was absolutely floored by that setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back