The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #5,386 of 6,326
I think that this is digital attenuation which is pretty good these days. (Some high end DACs offer it too.) All things being equal I prefer to adjust volume from the GS-X mk2 in pre-amp mode, but I admit to sometimes using the Foobar volume control via the iPhone MonkeyMote app to turn down volume - at least until I can unlazy and walk over to the GS-X. It is quite transparent and it can be handy.

The GS-X mk2 is a lovely pre-amp. I use it a lot.

Yes, I think that's what it is. I must say, though, that the Lab.Gruppen is a temporary solution. I haven't had time to dwell too much into various power amp options, so I grabbed the IPD 1200 that was offered to me by the local dealer to very favourable conditions. But I'd like to switch to an analogue amplifier at one point. I am sure, the GSX-Mk2 pre-amp will pair well with just about any good power amp. Right now, I am pretty happy with the current setup.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #5,387 of 6,326
I was using the OPPO BDP-105 as my go to CD/SACD/DVD-A player with the GSX-MK2, it was OK but with the HD800 just never felt the bass. Compared with the WA5 I just never felt the GSX-MK2 compared primarily with the bass. I recently made a set up change and took an old Pioneer DV610-AV CD/SACD/DVD-A player and tried it out and it BLEW ME AWAY, outstanding full bass (similar to the WA5) beautiful mids on the HD800 paired with the GSX-MK2, in fact that is and will remain my new setup. So the old Pioneer that I paid roughly $200 blew the $1000 OPPO out of the water. If anyone wants a cheap CD/SACD/DVD-A player to pair with GSX-MK2 I will gladly endorse this combo.

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #5,388 of 6,326
I was using the OPPO BDP-105 as my go to CD/SACD/DVD-A player with the GSX-MK2, it was OK but with the HD800 just never felt the bass. Compared with the WA5 I just never felt the GSX-MK2 compared primarily with the bass. I recently made a set up change and took an old Pioneer DV610-AV CD/SACD/DVD-A player and tried it out and it BLEW ME AWAY, outstanding full bass (similar to the WA5) beautiful mids on the HD800 paired with the GSX-MK2, in fact that is and will remain my new setup. So the old Pioneer that I paid roughly $200 blew the $1000 OPPO out of the water. If anyone wants a cheap CD/SACD/DVD-A player to pair with GSX-MK2 I will gladly endorse this combo.

That's the exact thing with the GS-X Mk2...it is a microscope on upstream gear. :)

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #5,390 of 6,326
Gungnir multibit with gen 5 usb good with gs-x mk2 ?

Depends...do you like the Gungnir Multibit? If not, the GS-X Mk2 will only let you hear what the DAC is sending you without adding anything of its own. :)

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #5,392 of 6,326
I've never listened to it without tubes

thats my issue

I don't really know

Sorry, I haven't heard the Gungnir Multibit with the GS-X Mk2...just other amps. For the price, I was impressed with this DAC FWIW.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #5,393 of 6,326
Excuse me if I ask a stupid question: a friend of mine bought some exorbitantly expensive speakers and he is dissatisfied with them. As a matter of fact, I went to see him and listened to his speakers. Sure enough, they sounded dull, flat, and not at all inspiring. I would've never spent that much money for those speakers! The problem, however, is that he uses a somewhat mediocre amp to drive them (Yamaha WXA-50). So I don't know if the speakers are rubbish or they are under-powered with the Yamaha. I offered him to set up my system with the GSX-Mk2 pre-amp and my Lab.Gruppen amp, which is a fantastic combo in my setup, at his home.

He uses an SACD player to feed his amp. So how is the CD player to be connected to the GSX Mk2, via RCA's into the pre-amp input? Thanks for any help!

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #5,394 of 6,326
Excuse me if I ask a stupid question: a friend of mine bought some exorbitantly expensive speakers and he is dissatisfied with them. As a matter of fact, I went to see him and listened to his speakers. Sure enough, they sounded dull, flat, and not at all inspiring. I would've never spent that much money for those speakers! The problem, however, is that he uses a somewhat mediocre amp to drive them (Yamaha WXA-50). So I don't know if the speakers are rubbish or they are under-powered with the Yamaha. I offered him to set up my system with the GSX-Mk2 pre-amp and my Lab.Gruppen amp, which is a fantastic combo in my setup, at his home.

He uses an SACD player to feed his amp. So how is the CD player to be connected to the GSX Mk2, via RCA's into the pre-amp input? Thanks for any help!

Sounds like more a room acoustics issue than something electronics would dramatically improve. Has the owner of the speakers done any kind or room treatment or room EQ?

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #5,395 of 6,326
Sounds like more a room acoustics issue than something electronics would dramatically improve. Has the owner of the speakers done any kind or room treatment or room EQ?

No way, he very much likes music, but really wants to leave ‚dirty‘ electronics to others. He is just annoyed of spending 9,000 Euros for a pair of speakers and not liking them!
I did think of his speaker placement: very close to the walls, but there‘s very little to do about it, the speakers and his equipment would have to be transferred into another room altogether.

BTW, my question IS stupid: my amp has only balanced inputs, while his SACD player is single-ended! I have to transfer my entire setup to his place. Yet, an interesting experiment!

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #5,396 of 6,326
No way, he very much likes music, but really wants to leave ‚dirty‘ electronics to others. He is just annoyed of spending 9,000 Euros for a pair of speakers and not liking them!
I did think of his speaker placement: very close to the walls, but there‘s very little to do about it, the speakers and his equipment would have to be transferred into another room altogether.

BTW, my question IS stupid: my amp has only balanced inputs, while his SACD player is single-ended! I have to transfer my entire setup to his place. Yet, an interesting experiment!

Based on that, it does appear to be a room issue and unlikely to be fixed by an amp (or anything other than room treatment/room eq). I suspect that virtually any speaker he puts into the same location won't live up to expectations.

Unless the speakers in question aren't rear ported, being too close to walls will almost always be a major issue unless you deal with first reflections effectively. Even if they are sealed or front ported, the configuration you described is likely to be problematic. I know your friend doesn't want to hear it, but spending more money on gear without addressing room acoustics (for far less of an investment) is unlikely to make a significant difference.

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #5,397 of 6,326

I don't think I've yet heard a mediocre Yamaha amp.
I'v heard better sounding amps, but I would never describe Yamaha amps as mediocre......

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #5,398 of 6,326
What speakers are they? It would help to know the model so we can suss out sensitivity and resistance. I still don't think I'd be mating such expensive speakers to a class D amp, and a cheap one at that.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #5,400 of 6,326
What speakers are they? It would help to know the model so we can suss out sensitivity and resistance. I still don't think I'd be mating such expensive speakers to a class D amp, and a cheap one at that.

Sorry, should have given further details! The speakers are the P10 from Rowen Audio

http://www.rowen.ch/de/ls_concert.php

These are three-way speakers, 4 Ohm impedance. with a surprisingly good sensitivity of 90 dB. Would've expected a brilliant performer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back