The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Mar 23, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #859 of 6,346
Thank you for the nice comments on my set up.

Because I've got XLR interconnects to the GS-X, and RCA's to the BHSE, and because the K-01 has XLR & RCA settings built in which one or the other can be selected in seconds, I can be listening to a song from the SR-009 / BHSE then the HD-600 / GS-X by changing the setting on the K-01 which like I said takes seconds. This is why I'm able to hear the difference in SQ between the SR-009 / BHSE and HD-600 / GS-X in no time. And this is why I said the difference in SQ isn't as wider gap as some might think.

I could posts my impressions on what I'm hearing but not only am I not very good at it, but unless most had the audio gear I have, they wouldn't know what I'm hearing.
Last night I decided to listen to the SR-009 / BHSE / K-01 after they'd been on power for over 3 hours. I listened to two of my CD's both by Jean Michel Jarre, Equinoxe and Oxygene, I also decided to listen to them in the dark and what I heard was the most life like sound I've ever heard from an headphone set up. Obviously headphones IMO can't touch speakers for trying to replicate life like sound, but still that headphone set up was very close.

The photos are the two settings on the K-01.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #860 of 6,346
^
I've got several sources that can deliver RCA and XLR out at the same time. I belive that's fairly common.

McIntosh MCD500 even has two of each, one fixed and one variable pair of RCA + XLR out.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #862 of 6,346
Why not just feed the K-01 into the GS-X balanced, then take the loop out to the BHSE (or vice-versa) and then level match using the volume knob?  What am I missing?

--Mark

Quote:
Because I've got XLR interconnects to the GS-X, and RCA's to the BHSE, and because the K-01 has XLR & RCA settings built in which one or the other can be selected in seconds, I can be listening to a song from the SR-009 / BHSE then the HD-600 / GS-X by changing the setting on the K-01 which like I said takes seconds.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #863 of 6,346
Thank you Birgir. That's part of what I was trying to do, I'm not trying to make out the Esoteric can do things other sources can't, because I know they can. The other point I was trying to make was I can listen to the same song from two different headphones and amps, but obviously not at the same time. Only one of either the XLR or RCA can be used,not both at the same time. I did something similar when IanG brought his LL to my place and we connected his LL and my BHSE to the K-01.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #864 of 6,346
Placed my order for the GS-X couple days back, at the old price and will need to wait 3 months.

I've been using the Yulong D18/A18 combo, which are extremely nice for enjoying music but they're very forgiving and sometimes make things sound better than they should. Now want to try something radically different and want to ask which DAC I should pair with the GS-X to give the most neutral, transparent and revealing setup.

Is Master 7 a good choice, and what about X-Sabre?

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #865 of 6,346
That Master 7 would be very nice on the GSX II. The GSX is one of, if not the most revealing amps I've heard. The smooth presentation of the Master 7 would come across very neutral with a hint of warmth for the HD-800. Darryl had that hooked up and I was commenting how this could be an end rig and leave any curious thoughts to the contrary to history.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #866 of 6,346
Quote:
What I believe David is getting at is the Esotric's ability to have the same output level for both RCA and XLR, making comparisons that much easier. 

Grace Design m903 has independent volume control for RCA, balanced TRS and headphone out. In addition there's an offset function (+/-) for at least the line outs.

Lynx Hilo has independent volume control for balanced TRS, XLR and headphone out, offset functions and much more. On the other side, each output has its own DAC circuit, and the main XLR line out is different from and supposedly better than the two others which are meant for monitoring purposes.

I believe professional audio equipment often have more such flexibility features than domestic hifi equipment.

On both these and my other sources, all outputs are/can be live at the same time. Outputs with volume control can be muted/turned down. On the Lynx Hilo you can turn on and off (just about) everything. At the moment I don't remember whether one can turn off outputs on the Grace Design m903, but they can be turned completely down.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #867 of 6,346
Quote:
Placed my order for the GS-X couple days back, at the old price and will need to wait 3 months.

I've been using the Yulong D18/A18 combo, which are extremely nice for enjoying music but they're very forgiving and sometimes make things sound better than they should. Now want to try something radically different and want to ask which DAC I should pair with the GS-X to give the most neutral, transparent and revealing setup.

Is Master 7 a good choice, and what about X-Sabre?

GS-X mk2/ PWD2
GS-X mk2 / Master 7

Both are just great together.  As long as your source is up to snuff - the GS-X mk2 won't disappoint.  I would not restrict the amp by using a forgiving DAC.  Just get better material.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #868 of 6,346
I've heard X-Sabre > GS-X > HD800. It will be my rig for a long time.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #869 of 6,346
Quote:
I went from the Lyr to the WA2 to the WA22 to the Liquid Fire all in the span of about 10 months. Then I got my GS-X 9 months ago and a few months back popped in the new Dynalo+ modules. I have no interest in looking at other amps. It's that darn good! 
size]

Quote:
Same.  I'm D O N E done.

Getting back to the final notes of the Soloist v GS-X mk2 notes...

Essentially take the Soloist, step everything up a notch and tilt it tonally down and poof you have the GS-X mk2.  Still my top recommendation for solid state under $2495 :wink:

Alright boys.  Could you give me your listening impressions of the GS-XII vs. the LF.  I am happy with my LF but would love to read your impressions.  

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #870 of 6,346
Damn, I just have a NuWave DAC.... do i need to be saving my pennies for an upgrade???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back