The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Feb 27, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #5,611 of 6,329
We've had a Holo Spring KTE in our shop for well over a year now, and it's very much a good value, however I would view the Singxer SU-1 or other I2S transport very much a necessity with this DAC.

Why is that? Is the USB output of the Holo Spring this bad?

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #5,612 of 6,329
I have never heard the Holo Spring KTE unit, but have read the opinions of several folks that have compared it to the latest Pavane (Adagio equivalent) and they claim that with I2S feed it plays in the same league. That is quite a value proposition, so if you get the chance to try the Holo KTE unit fed from I2S it might be worth your time. I am already committed to the Pavane (and happy with it) but if I were looking for a new DAC the KTE would be on my shortlist. This applies doubly so for a DAC to pair with the GS-X Mk2.

Eill definitely look into it!

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #5,613 of 6,329
I would view the Singxer SU-1 or other I2S transport very much a necessity with this DAC.
I would second that opinion. It's a very good DAC for the money. It will punch above its weight class if you give it an I2S boost.

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #5,614 of 6,329
I wasn't impressed with "straight" USB performance of the Holo DAC. ...and we know that the GS-X will let those imperfections shine through.
I spent a lot of time testing the different inputs and found the I2S to sound the best in my testing.
YMMV depending on the quality of your USB signal / clock and whatever USB decrapifiers are part of your signal chain.

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #5,615 of 6,329

The feedback I have read is that the I2S input is necessary for the Holo DAC to compete at the Pavane level. Not that the USB is bad, just that it isn't playing in that league unless being fed I2S and using NOS mode. Again, never heard the Holo unit myself, so I am just parrotting those that have heard both. The point is that getting to Pavane/Adagio performance levels for about 1/3 to 1/2 the price is no small feat and should make the Holo DAC KTE unit worth serious consideration for anyone in the market for a DAC to mate with a GS-x Mk2 (or a great NOS DAC in general).

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #5,616 of 6,329
I ordered the GS-X mk2 from HeadAmp on Monday morning, and just got an FedEx notification that it's scheduled to arrive on Thursday. I had zero expectations for this kind of turn-around time, so thought it was worth mentioning. Very impressed!

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #5,617 of 6,329
Ditto. I ordered mine Sunday pm and got the shipping notification as well. This is my first headamp product and certainly not my last. Justin and Peter have been great to do business with.

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #5,618 of 6,329
We've definitely made huge efforts to improve delivery times over the last couple of years. Not to say there won't be times when parts availability could be an issue, but we are doing everything we can to make sure you guys don't have to wait like some did in the past. I hope you guys enjoy the amp!

Regarding the Holo DAC, I did a bit of comparison (using a Surface Pro 3 as the USB source) with and without the Singxer SU-1, and found the sound a bit thin and lacking body when using the USB input as compared to the SU-1 into the I2S port. Not bad by any means, and it still had the characteristic natural smooth detail of the Spring, but lacked a bit of weight. Being that I was doing that test with an electrostatic rig, which is most showing of that sort of flaw, perhaps it wouldn't be as noticeable depending on the headphone rig used. However, an introspective system like a Utopia, HD800 variant, or Susvara on a GS-X mk2 would be quite likely to show that difference.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 27, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #5,619 of 6,329
Ditto. This is my first headamp product and certainly not my last. Justin and Peter have been great to do business with.

+1
I just finished making a Stax purchase from them today. I have met Peter at the last two NY CanJam's and he is an absolute gentleman. During an email exchange with him last night Justin also dropped in on the conversation and provided some useful information. They were an absolute pleasure to deal with - and I am extremely confident that if any after purchase support be needed they will provide stellar service!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #5,622 of 6,329
Congratulations!
What color?

Gads, that was a hard one to answer for myself LOL, since I am really drawn to every single color offered. I was actually going to go with blue, only to realize that blue specifically is an extra 200 bucks, so had to step away from the abyss momentarily. Which is probably for the best, since sometimes those attractive bold colors don't stand up to a person's taste long-term...

Anyway, I went with champaigne to complement the Holo Spring. :)

Feb 27, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #5,624 of 6,329
Gads, that was a hard one to answer for myself LOL, since I am really drawn to every single color offered. I was actually going to go with blue, only to realize that blue specifically is an extra 200 bucks, so had to step away from the abyss momentarily. Which is probably for the best, since sometimes those attractive bold colors don't stand up to a person's taste long-term...

Anyway, I went with champaigne to complement the Holo Spring. :)
Congrats, great choice. I went with the same color. We have the same dac too. I got the Kitsune version Singex SU-1 to go with it and the iGalvanic.

Well, as everyone already knows how I feel about the champagne color, it's a most excellent choice!
I certainly do Joseph and thanks again for helping me out.

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #5,625 of 6,329
We've definitely made huge efforts to improve delivery times over the last couple of years. Not to say there won't be times when parts availability could be an issue, but we are doing everything we can to make sure you guys don't have to wait like some did in the past. I hope you guys enjoy the amp!

Regarding the Holo DAC, I did a bit of comparison (using a Surface Pro 3 as the USB source) with and without the Singxer SU-1, and found the sound a bit thin and lacking body when using the USB input as compared to the SU-1 into the I2S port. Not bad by any means, and it still had the characteristic natural smooth detail of the Spring, but lacked a bit of weight. Being that I was doing that test with an electrostatic rig, which is most showing of that sort of flaw, perhaps it wouldn't be as noticeable depending on the headphone rig used. However, an introspective system like a Utopia, HD800 variant, or Susvara on a GS-X mk2 would be quite likely to show that difference.

Message well taken, not just for the Holo DAC. My DAC doesn't have I2S input, but AES/EBU, at least after upgrading it. So I'd have to connect the USB output of my Aurender N100H to the Singxer, and from there connect the DAC via AES/EBU. Interesting experiment! I might just as well try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back