The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jul 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #3,376 of 6,342
Yeh I'm really hoping my unit isn't DOA or develops an issue later. Getting it fixed does not seem to be a practical option - feel for the guy trying to get his BHSE repaired.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #3,377 of 6,342
Of course I understand if there are some issues with equipment that you want to have it repaired with the least amount of fuzz, no question about that. We only get on side of the picture when someone starts venting here and most of the times these comments than give me the impression that I would better not want to have anything to do with these people.

Obviously characters are very different.
My impression : If you ask nicely, you will be helped.
If you start screaming and pounding at the door, people will just shut down and let you wait even longer.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #3,378 of 6,342
Hey guys ive recently learnt that i have an opportunity to pick up a GS-Xmk 2 and i think im gonna jump on it. Not having to wait the 6-12 months makes it a fairly unique opportunity that im finding hard to pass up. Im very new to the thread so could someone please explain the difference between the DACT and Alpha pots (hope i remembered that right)

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #3,379 of 6,342
Alpha :  traditional poti (high quality manufacturer),
DACT: stepped attenuator (potentially more exact, even lower channel imbalance)

see also Justin's site:
http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gsx/index.htm

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #3,381 of 6,342
  Hey guys ive recently learnt that i have an opportunity to pick up a GS-Xmk 2 and i think im gonna jump on it. Not having to wait the 6-12 months makes it a fairly unique opportunity that im finding hard to pass up. Im very new to the thread so could someone please explain the difference between the DACT and Alpha pots (hope i remembered that right)

The post above gives a brief explanation.

That said, unless you have a very specific reason for wanting one volume control over the other, I wouldn't worry about it.  The ability to get a GS-X without the wait would trump pot type - at least for me.

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #3,382 of 6,342
The post above gives a brief explanation.

That said, unless you have a very specific reason for wanting one volume control over the other, I wouldn't worry about it.  The ability to get a GS-X without the wait would trump pot type - at least for me.

Indeed looks like I'll be very happy no matter what one I get (if I do get it, but thats more then likely)

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #3,383 of 6,342
  Alpha :  traditional poti (high quality manufacturer),
DACT: stepped attenuator (potentially more exact, even lower channel imbalance)

see also Justin's site:
http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gsx/index.htm

These are two different volume controls.

Alpha doesn't have steps which makes it possible to precisely choose your desired volume level. This may be the best choice if you use sensitive headphones, ie. IEMs and more, and/or listen at moderate loudness levels.

DACT have a limited number (24) of steps multiplied by 3 by the gain switch, probably minus some overlap. You may not be able to precisely choose your desired volume level.

Some source components, ie. DACs, have their own volume control which can assist, compensate or supplant the amlifier volume control. This may influence your choice.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #3,384 of 6,342

These are two different volume controls.

Alpha doesn't have steps which makes it possible to precisely choose your desired volume level. This may be the best choice if you use sensitive headphones, ie. IEMs and more, and/or listen at moderate loudness levels.

DACT have a limited number (24) of steps multiplied by 3 by the gain switch, probably minus some overlap. You may not be able to precisely choose your desired volume level.

Some source components, ie. DACs, have their own volume control which can assist, compensate or supplant the amlifier volume control. This may influence your choice.

Just to add to the above explanation, one advantage of the stepped attenuator is that it is much easier to achieve perfect volume balance between the 2 channels, especially at the lowest levels.   Even the very best pots may have difficulty with this, and this becomes most apparent with very sensitive phones.    The 3 gain levels provided on the GS-X Mk2 allow you to taylor levels so that relatively precise volume control is attainable.  As mentioned above, if you have a dac that has a continuously variable output, you can also use that to fine tune the volume.  Personally I've used both, and I feel that a stepped attenuator (e.g. DACT) would be an excellent choice and my preference, but in the GS-X, either will be good. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #3,388 of 6,342
Is that a ch precision C1 dac above the audio research amp??!!

sure looks that way
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back