The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Dec 6, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #2,191 of 6,326
Not even going to bother with explanatory PMs... just, well, happy holidays to everyone. 
smile.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #2,192 of 6,326
  So for one who HAS NOT HAD THE PLEASURE OF AUDITION WITH GS-X Mk II, can you provide a brief comparo between the two amps?

I have had a few Dynalo based HeadAmp offerings and the mk2 is a good improvement over the original build.  I've also has the Mjolnir two times now on a few different sources.

Long story short if you consider the GS-X mk2 neutral then the Mjolnir is tonally shifted up into the treble with a more aggressive presentation.  Going the other way the GS-X mk2 would be tonally shifted down into the bass where it has endless reserves for deep bass.  The presentation is more natural, completely effortless.

They ride either side of the fence so a lot will come down to source and can.  The the LCD-3 the Gungnir/GS-X combo was too dark, PWD2/Mjolnir too bright.

For the asking price the Mjolnir is a no brainer when well paired.  The GS-X mk2 is the better amp for me and the added feature set make it worth the price gap for me. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #2,193 of 6,326
Odd. In Canada (or at least Ontario), your home insurance doesn't stop providing coverage once you take something out of your house and bring it somewhere else. So in England if someone stole your watch while you were out shopping you would be out of luck?

I don't know for sure if I could claim on anything that's part of my home insurance, if I was to take it out my home then it be damaged. But assuming I could , and I took either my GS-Xmk2 or BHSE to a head-fi meeting and they got damaged. Knowing I could claim is all well and good, but there's no way I'd want to be without them for a day, let alone how long it might take for either to be repaired.

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #2,194 of 6,326
I don't know for sure if I could claim on anything that's part of my home insurance, if I was to take it out my home then it be damaged. But assuming I could , and I took either my GS-Xmk2 or BHSE to a head-fi meeting and they got damaged. Knowing I could claim is all well and good, but there's no way I'd want to be without them for a day, let alone how long it might take for either to be repaired.

Sure, those are certainly other considerations that are important.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2,195 of 6,326
GS-X MK2 is on the way. This discussion of Audio GD has me wondering if the NFB-17.32 would be a good match as a balanced source for driving the HD800. I like the WM8741 chips but the implementation is the issue. 

I guess I am wondering if the NFB-17.32 is going to hit below the GS-X MK2's level. Any thoughts are appreciated. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #2,196 of 6,326
Based on the DAC + GS-X discussions on this thread, the issue is not so much if the "NFB-17.32 is going to hit below the GS-X MK2's level," but rather how much you like the sound signature of the NFB-17.32. I will shut up as I don't have mine yet, but everyone here seems to say that the GS-X is transparent to the source. Anyway, I found this recent ranking interesting, but would be curious to see them add in the GS-X, as it seems like a perfect amp for DAC comparisons: http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/ranking-of-17-dacs-and-dac-configurations

Also, to be clear, your GS-X hasn't shipped yet, right?

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #2,197 of 6,326

I have had a few Dynalo based HeadAmp offerings and the mk2 is a good improvement over the original build.  I've also has the Mjolnir two times now on a few different sources.

Long story short if you consider the GS-X mk2 neutral then the Mjolnir is tonally shifted up into the treble with a more aggressive presentation.  Going the other way the GS-X mk2 would be tonally shifted down into the bass where it has endless reserves for deep bass.  The presentation is more natural, completely effortless.

They ride either side of the fence so a lot will come down to source and can.  The the LCD-3 the Gungnir/GS-X combo was too dark, PWD2/Mjolnir too bright.

For the asking price the Mjolnir is a no brainer when well paired.  The GS-X mk2 is the better amp for me and the added feature set make it worth the price gap for me. 

beerchug.gif

yes!!!

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #2,198 of 6,326
  Based on the DAC + GS-X discussions on this thread, the issue is not so much if the "NFB-17.32 is going to hit below the GS-X MK2's level," but rather how much you like the sound signature of the NFB-17.32. I will shut up as I don't have mine yet, but everyone here seems to say that the GS-X is transparent to the source. Anyway, I found this recent ranking interesting, but would be curious to see them add in the GS-X, as it seems like a perfect amp for DAC comparisons: http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/ranking-of-17-dacs-and-dac-configurations

Also, to be clear, your GS-X hasn't shipped yet, right?

Thanks for the reference. I am in the next batch so no, it has not shipped yet but I believe that we are getting close....

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2,203 of 6,326
  The black panels/knobs for this production run are arriving today. This only leave the difficult to produce silver panels 

Thanks for the update Justin. 

I am glad I went with black as well. I an curious though, why do the subs have harder time with silver? Are blemishes easier to notice? 
Thanks!

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #2,204 of 6,326
Silver is notoriously hard to do. Something in the chemical process that doesn't work as well as other colors.

Hoping mine will be done in the next couple weeks. Got my whole setup prepped for its arrival.

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #2,205 of 6,326
Silver is notoriously hard to do. Something in the chemical process that doesn't work as well as other colors.

Hoping mine will be done in the next couple weeks. Got my whole setup prepped for its arrival.

Thanks Max! Interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back