The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Dec 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #2,176 of 6,326
Maybe its more neutral or just more revealing. Its hard to describe neutral, i cant really say either is the reference, but both are definitely close to neutral and one might just be warm or cool.

As for the mytek, its definitely not bright, at least not after burn in. Both dacs used where several months old with hundreds of hours of use. The mytek was more neutral than my old dac which was the ps audio dac

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #2,177 of 6,326
Well, to be fair, people will always want the newest and greatest. While its true that A-Gd releases a new product every other month or two, it is not so frequent that their top-end line (i.e. Master series amps) get updated, I would say probably after a year or two for any major changes to the design. 

The drop in resale value will happen to headamp products too, once the GSX mkIII is out. The simple fact that the GSX costs twice as much as the master 9, obviously, even used, it will cost more. I agree with Daniel and DG here, the Master 9 is a fantastic value if one can overlook the design (actually, a very solid build and functional design) and the fact that its 'made in china' (h/w, using all high end grade parts). The only reason one pays double for the GSX is for the fancy casing and labor.

Justin has said that there are no current plans for a gsx mk3. The original gsx was in production for 6 years before the 2 came out.

I do like the build quality on the audio gd, if treble isnt an issue and you dont care about the smaller case and resale, the audio gd is the way to go. It also comes with a nice solid aluminum remote :D

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #2,178 of 6,326
Justin has said that there are no current plans for a gsx mk3. The original gsx was in production for 6 years before the 2 came out.

I do like the build quality on the audio gd, if treble isnt an issue and you dont care about the smaller case and resale, the audio gd is the way to go. It also comes with a nice solid aluminum remote
biggrin.gif

I'm confused about what you said here.  What you mean if treble isn't an issue?

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2,179 of 6,326
I'm confused about what you said here.  What you mean if treble isn't an issue?

It is slightly brighter than the mk2. Whether this is due to transparency, neutrality, sound signature, or dac choice, it was a difference that I heard. Should be considered depending on headphone / dac choice as well as treble sensitivity of the person buying it.

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #2,180 of 6,326

Originally Posted by DarknightDK /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The drop in resale value will happen to headamp products too, once the GSX mkIII is out or when Gilmore comes up with a better design.

KG came out with a superior design a long time ago. It was called the Dynahi.

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #2,182 of 6,326

KG came out with a superior design a long time ago. It was called the Dynahi.

Dynahi is significantly more powerful, is not stable at unity gain, and has a higher noise floor. Not useful for sensitive headphones or as a pre-amp. The GS-X mk2, with the "Dynalo+" modules (my idea) is my best attempt to use a Gilmore design that covers the full range of headphones from custom IEMs to the HE-6 + pre-amp features -- it's similar to a lower power Dynahi. KG actually rarely puts out 'better' designs just ones intended for different purposes. In this case, with his design philosophy, it's unlikely to see a totally new Dynalo type amp as the limiting factor in the designs now is parts availability

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2,185 of 6,326

It is slightly brighter than the mk2. Whether this is due to transparency, neutrality, sound signature, or dac choice, it was a difference that I heard. Should be considered depending on headphone / dac choice as well as treble sensitivity of the person buying it.

What headphones were you using btw-I don't recall? I didn't find the HD800 (stock) bright at all with the M7/M8 pairing-but otoh I found the Dynalo/GS-1 kind of grating in that regard, even though I was using a much warmer, more forgiving source at the time.

Dynahi is significantly more powerful, is not stable at unity gain, and has a higher noise floor. Not useful for sensitive headphones or as a pre-amp. The GS-X mk2, with the "Dynalo+" modules (my idea) is my best attempt to use a Gilmore design that covers the full range of headphones from custom IEMs to the HE-6 + pre-amp features -- it's similar to a lower power Dynahi. KG actually rarely puts out 'better' designs just ones intended for different purposes. In this case, with his design philosophy, it's unlikely to see a totally new Dynalo type amp as the limiting factor in the designs now is parts availability

So could one infer that the Dynahi is more meant for, say, hard to drive orthos (HE5LE, HE6, speakers) whereas the GSX is more well rounded for iems/dynamics and easier to drive orthos? I would definitely see a need for both designs if that's the case. Thanks for the input Justin, and good luck keeping up with the demand, as always. :)

-Daniel

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #2,186 of 6,326
  How so? I recall Kingwa saying it was basically an M8, but with more warmth in the bass. To me, that sounds like it would get even closer to the GSX signature. Also, have you heard any of the Master amps yet, and would you agree with DG's comments?

Firstly I have not heard any Audio-GD gear... want to but never pulled the trigger.  Kingwa is however an excellent designer.

As to how the M9 is different... dumbing it way down... the M5/6/8 uses many smaller devices on the output and the M9 uses a few larger devices.  Similar to comparing a GS-X to the Mjolnir.

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #2,187 of 6,326

Firstly I have not heard any Audio-GD gear... want to but never pulled the trigger.  Kingwa is however an excellent designer.

As to how the M9 is different... dumbing it way down... the M5/6/8 uses many smaller devices on the output and the M9 uses a few larger devices.  Similar to comparing a GS-X to the Mjolnir.

Bah-I'll have to shoot him an email about it then. I find it strange that it would be much different though since he's discontinuing the M8 in turn though. For another thread though I suppose. Hopefully you or Prepo will get to try one sometime to compare to the GSX though. Thanks for the response.

-Daniel

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #2,188 of 6,326
Won't be me I'm going iem only, maybe, if I can stomach it, and high gain and iem is just a bad idea.  It looks like the outputs are the ones he uses on the speaker amps.

But if I do go full bore iems... one of the mid level combo units might make more sense than the big rig... maybe.

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2,189 of 6,326

How so? I recall Kingwa saying it was basically an M8, but with more warmth in the bass. To me, that sounds like it would get even closer to the GSX signature. Also, have you heard any of the Master amps yet, and would you agree with DG's comments?

So for one who HAS NOT HAD THE PLEASURE OF AUDITION WITH GS-X Mk II, can you provide a brief comparo between the two amps? I own the Mjolnir and it sounds pretty good to me but always hope to listen to the GS-X someday...  Thanks!

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2,190 of 6,326

Hey Macedonian, do you know where I can audition GSXMK or MK2 ? I also live in GTA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back