The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Aug 5, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #1,501 of 6,342
Quote:
Hmm think this one is out of my price range unfortunately :/ The dedicated thread for it seems promising though...

I hear you man, I wouldn't of considered it ether at the RRP here in Australia, but at a fraction of the price and with research I've done I pulled the trigger

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #1,502 of 6,342
I am thinking since gs-x is supposed to be highly transparent and neutral, the choice of dac should really depend on your headphones. I am currently considering changing from M7 to eximus dp-1. Reason being me having problem accommodating m7 in my new place (it is really massive) and I thought dp-1 may suit my new hd800 more.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,503 of 6,342
All the above DACs are great i'm sure.  The "Amazing" thing about the GS-X mk2 is it will allow you to pin point the differences in each DAC - if you want to nit pick.

After a few months of playing around.  I've come to this:

LCD-3, TH-900 = PWD mkII + GS-X mk2
H800, T1 = Master 7 + GS-X mk2

Why?  In short:

The PWD mkII IMO excels in that funky bass line.  Great Bass weight and bass slam.  Great for Jazz.

The Master 7 excels in the soundstage area.  Very open with great imaging.  Instrument placement is also great.  The Master 7 does not emphasize anything.  

Both have great detail retrieval and low level resolution.  The PWD mkII packs more of a punch but the Master 7 is more refined.

The JK Ciunas DAC will be here this week.  More to compare
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #1,505 of 6,342
Quote:
The PWD mkII IMO excels in that funky bass line.  Great Bass weight and bass slam.  Great for Jazz.

The Master 7 excels in the soundstage area.  Very open with great imaging.  Instrument placement is also great.  The Master 7 does not emphasize anything.  

Both have great detail retrieval and low level resolution.  The PWD mkII packs more of a punch but the Master 7 is more refined.

biggrin.gif

Agree with most. However the Audiophilleo + PWD2 combo excels in soundstage and imaging as well. It's a step up imho.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #1,506 of 6,342
Quote:

Agree with most. However the Audiophilleo + PWD2 combo excels in soundstage and imaging as well. It's a step up imho.

Never said the sound stage on the PWD2 was bad or anything.  This is just compared to the Master 7.  

So if we put the Audiophilleo on both.  I'm sure I would still get the same results.  

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #1,507 of 6,342
Quote:

Never said the sound stage on the PWD2 was bad or anything.  This is just compared to the Master 7.  

So if we put the Audiophilleo on both.  I'm sure I would still get the same results.  

I thought the Audio GD is already supposed to have a kickass USB interface. Or is it not this model?

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #1,509 of 6,342
Are you comparing both over SPDIF with the same external interface? Then fair enough.
I don't have the Master 7, however the PWD2 scales with Audiophilleo in exactly those areas in particular. Very good synergy.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,511 of 6,342
Quote:
All the above DACs are great i'm sure.  The "Amazing" thing about the GS-X mk2 is it will allow you to pin point the differences in each DAC - if you want to nit pick.

After a few months of playing around.  I've come to this:

LCD-3, TH-900 = PWD mkII + GS-X mk2
H800, T1 = Master 7 + GS-X mk2

Why?  In short:

biggrin.gif

Meh...sell all that and get an Overdrive SE. Like-4 birds with 1 stone...

-Daniel

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,514 of 6,342
GS-X with Cantata, Femto, Yggdrasil, or M7 (If I can make it silver.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back