The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Aug 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #1,486 of 6,342
Yes, I'm excited. I needed to commit after so many hours of research.

That makes total sense, Solude. Glad I got in this last quartile. Does he wait for all 60 spots to be filled before building the batch?

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #1,489 of 6,342
Quote:
That makes total sense, Solude. Glad I got in this last quartile. Does he wait for all 60 spots to be filled before building the batch?

Thankfully no.  But by the same the batch hits the door, the next list of name is half full.  The good news is long lead times and high demand lead to great resale value.  Meaning owning a GS-X mk2 is more money put aside than money spent :wink:

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,490 of 6,342
Quote:
Which DAC's do you guys recommend with the GS-X Mk2? I'll be using an HD800 and an LCD-3, both balanced.

I've got a pair of LCD-3's and have placed my order for the GS-X MK2, so I'm in a similar boat to you.

I've spent a fair amount of time researching DACs on this forum (need to look at other sources too but there's just too much info on head-fi alone to consume!).

At this stage I've narrowed DAC selection to the:
- Audio-gd Master 7. Seems to recieve universal praise, although there are concerns that it is "too neutral" (if there is such a thing) and not 'musical' enough in the bass area. This one seems to have very good value based on robust design and component selection - you can tell based on photos of the internals that there is a difference between this and lesser costing DACs. Also, the USB functionality is supposed to be very strong, and this is what I'm planning to use.
- Schitt statement DAC. I'm not planning, rephrase, I'm not allowed to buy a DAC :)P) till next year, which coincides well with the release of this DAC. Given Schitt's design philosophy I'm expecting great value.

I was seriously considering the Mytek 192DSD, and it does have good reviews plus solid brand reputation, but you can tell you're getting less for your dollar based on photos of the internals - e.g. Single power supply as opposed to 3 separate supplies in the Audio-gd M7. Maybe this isn't an effective metric for quantitatively deciding on a DAC though....

I don't believe I'll be spending more than ~$2.5k on a DAC - there just doesn't seem to much justification for it based on other people's reviews.

I was fussed about DSD functionality, but not so much anymore, as you can always convert sources prior to playback if playing from a PC (like I'm planning to do).

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #1,494 of 6,342
Quote:
I've had the Calyx FEMTO dac for 4 days now, although I'm still in burning-in stage I couldn't be happier with the pairing

Hey Gandah, where'd you order it from? And how much, if you don't mind me asking. Off the top of my head, thats a pretty exy DAC isn't it?

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,495 of 6,342
Quote:

Hey Gandah, where'd you order it from? And how much, if you don't mind me asking. Off the top of my head, thats a pretty exy DAC isn't it?

Wicked Digital, for a good price, not that much more than what I was going to spend on the Master 7

Edit: just wanted to add that Steve at Wicked Digital personally delivered the dac which I feel is outstanding customer service

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,496 of 6,342
I'll be using the Matrix X-Sabre DAC. Love the sound it gives.

There are some pretty negative reviews of the Mytek out there. Be sure to do your research before deciding on that one.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,497 of 6,342
Quote:
I'll be using the Matrix X-Sabre DAC. Love the sound it gives.

There are some pretty negative reviews of the Mytek out there. Be sure to do your research before deciding on that one.

It seems the Mytek is a acquired taste you ether like it or you don't, I've never had a listen, however going on impressions and reviews it tells this story

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #1,498 of 6,342
I will be using the Firestone Audio Tobby DAC. New product, I know, but I've been very impressed with its performance thus far, and think it is a good deal at the MSRP, and even better if you can find one used. See: http://www.head-fi.org/t/664270/review-firestone-audio-tobby-dac

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #1,499 of 6,342
I'm going with Nad M51 as a DAC and Exemplar Denon 5910 when I want to spin SACD/DAD-A discs.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #1,500 of 6,342
Quote:
I've had the Calyx FEMTO dac for 4 days now, although I'm still in burning-in stage I couldn't be happier with the pairing

Hmm think this one is out of my price range unfortunately :/ The dedicated thread for it seems promising though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back