The HD650s with the HDP, any user impressions ? ( my review and pics added)
Sep 7, 2010 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Pradeep

New Head-Fier

I own the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. I think a solid state amp best suits the 650s.

I am contemplating on buying the HDP as an AMP/DAC combo.

How's the HDP's output on the 650s? People who have listened to the burned in 650s over the Nuforce Icon HDP, please comment.

I wanna know if there is anything (amp/dac combo or separate) which increases the high end or brightness of the 650s.

I prefer tighter bass than what i have now on the 650s.

If you know any setup which tightens the bass and or increases the brightness of the 650s please let me know.

Others who have seen several amp/dac combos along with the HDPs may advise if any other setup best matches the 650s.

From what i've researched, i've been hearing about the Burson HA 160 a lot (that the synergy is great). But then most of them have not heard from the HDP by the time the consensus on Burson has come out. Now that the HDP is the best rated amp/dac combo on this site and that it offers a terrific value on the money spent, i wanna know the compatibility with the 650s.

thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 28
The HD650's (HD580/600's) are particularly great with the Woo amps - much clearer, tighter, brighter.  Not SS, but great!

Though, if you've got the "old" version of the HD650's, you may also need the Aphex 204 Aural Exciter (sound processor) to transform them - it does!

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 28
Just out of curiosity, why do you think SS amps better suit the HD650 than tube amps?

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 28
Gradofan,

I've seen your profile. Quite impressive.

You noticed that you have the Headphile Senn v2 Blacksilver cable. I want to ask if that is better than the Moon audio Silver dragon for the 650s.

Also i want to know if the Stefan Art Equinox cables are better than the silver ones for the HD650.

Btw I've just bought my 650s. They are the newer version.

Have you got a chance to hear the 650s over the HDP ?

Technology changes so fast these days. Maybe the Woos were the best some time back? I've read that the HDP beats several higher prices DACs and that we cannot get any amp better than this which is near its price range (which is 450$).

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 28
RE:  Headphile Senn v2 Black Silver - it is a very good cable, which adds clarity to the Senns.  If you're looking for a bit more neutral sound, with the impression of greater speed, detail and clarity, it helps.  If you're looking for more warmth, it doesn't.  It's similar to most other silver cables.  Though, I personally prefer the RAL Cryo-silver Senn cable - really wakes them up.   I don't know how it compares to the Moon Audio silver cable - I would expect it to be very similar.  The Blacksilver cable is a bargain.  I also don't know how it compares to the Equinox, though I would expect the Equinox to be a bit warmer, richer than any silver cable - more like the Cardas. 

The "new" HD650's don't seem to need a cable upgrade, as much as the "old" HD650's did - they're much brighter, faster, clearer than the "old" version was - without the "veil."  You may find that you won't need a cable upgrade, if you've got an amp and source that mates well.  And... you can always remove the foam liner, or replace it with a thin nylon material to brighten them up, if need be. 

I've not heard the NuForce HDP amp - can't help you there.  Though, I would say... I find the "new" version of the HD580/600/650's to sound great out a very modest SS amp (e.g. the socket out of my Marantz SA8001, the socket out out of my Monarchy M24 DAC, and my portable Shellbrook MaxiMoy, etc.).   I would be very happy to have nothing more than the Marantz SA8001 (SACD/CDP & integral headphone amp) and the "new" version of the HD580/600/650's - the combo is fantastic. 

As far as technology changing... I wouldn't be so quick to adopt so-called "new" technology.  I think you'll find very few amps will sound better than some "old" technology in the Woo and MAD amps... or... the DecWare amps... or... the Leben... or... any number of others.   The same is true of sources... very little will sound better than the SA8001, or the M24, or vinyl spun by the Linn LP12.  As you experiment... you will find... that to be true.  Although... I would be the first to acknowledge that variations between electronics are typically very subtle - there are just not dramatic differences as the prices escalate.  Or, you must appreciate "nuance" more than most.  It's far more important that you match components well (e.g. impedance, current, voltage, etc.), than worry about which discrete amp, or source, or phones are better than another.

And... I should add... that everyone has different tastes and preferences, which will ultimately determine which setup they prefer (i.e. stats vs dynamics vs orthos, etc.).  One person who appreciates musicality and realism in a jazz, or acoustic performance will appreciate Maggies, far more than another who appreciates the drive and detail in hard rock, or electronic performance presented by Revels, or Vandersteen's.  I'm more of an analog / tube / Maggie guy - I crave rich, warm, realism over the cold, precision of other setups.  A little "first order distortion" can make a big difference in the realism presented.

Quote:
Gradofan,

I've seen your profile. Quite impressive.

You noticed that you have the Headphile Senn v2 Blacksilver cable. I want to ask if that is better than the Moon audio Silver dragon for the 650s.

Also i want to know if the Stefan Art Equinox cables are better than the silver ones for the HD650.

Btw I've just bought my 650s. They are the newer version.

Have you got a chance to hear the 650s over the HDP ?

Technology changes so fast these days. Maybe the Woos were the best some time back? I've read that the HDP beats several higher prices DACs and that we cannot get any amp better than this which is near its price range (which is 450$).

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 28

Gradofan2,

thanks so much for your valuable insights.

However i've ordered the HDP as it is running out of stock. I've got the last piece somehow.

I play FLACs out of my macbook pro. I may not go for a cable upgrade as of now. 

thanks again.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 28
HDP users and others, 

I want to know if the HDP has a better DAC than the macbook pro's sound card. 

It should be better after all that i've paid isnt it :)

I want to know if it is (the cliched) night and day difference.  I've ordered the HDP anyways.  Just curious to know,

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 28
My NuForce Icon HDP will be here tomorrow, and I've got a pair of HD650s that are already burned in on the way as well so I'll be sure to comment on this post as soon as I have the opportunity to test them.  Hope you enjoy the Icon HDP, I'm also upgrading from MBP's onboard audio so I am looking forward to a significant improvement in SQ.  

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 28
@OP: I asked the fine people over at the HD650 Appreciation Thread the same question regarding the HDP and got an overwhelmingly positive response about the pair. The HDP will be my next major purchase and I advise you to do the same.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 28
One pairing I liked with the HDP which I otherwise didn't think too much of (the amp portion anyways).  It paired the HD650 really well and had really good synergy together.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 28
The HDP pairs very well with my HD600 with loads of power, bass impact, detail, transparency, sparkle and ambience.  It's a great "bang for the buck".  I think it will pair well with the HD650 as well.  The DAC is indeed an upgrade over my Macbook Pro's sound card.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 28
Wow. thanks HeadphoneAddict.  You were the reason partly why I bought the HDP. Your review of the HDP. and the subsequent good comments it received on the thread. Also the excellent reviews posted for it on amazon.com website where i purchased it.

Mind boggling profile you have there. Will be getting the HDP in a week. Will post my comments after i've heard from it personally. Any music suggestions to test the HDP?

Also may i ask, what is your favorite headphone among the huge list you have?

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 28
Have you considered the Audio-GD FUN with for example the OPA-Sun op-amp? It seems with the multiple configurations and settings available on the FUN you might be able to find the sound you are  looking for. Read the main review thread on it as it was written by somebody with HD650s.

Hope that helps.

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 28

Quote:
Wow. thanks HeadphoneAddict.  You were the reason partly I bought the HDP. Your review of the HDP. and the subsequent good comments it received on the thread. Also the excellent reviews posted for it on amazon.com website where i purchased it.

Mind boggling profile you have there. Will be getting the HDP in a week. Will post my comments after i've heard from it personally. Any music suggestions to test the HDP?

Also may i ask, what is your favorite headphone among the huge list you have?

Take a look at the product section for some of my recent reviews, and I have a long list a music selections in them.

I don't have just one favorite.  My top favorite headphones are my Stax O2 Mk1, HD800, and HE60 which basically cover all the genre I listen to in my main headphone rig in the basement (PWD > ZDT and WES).  Just below those I like the HE-5 LE and LCD-2, which I listen to in my bedroom rig equally with a variety of amps (WA6, SAC KH1000, HDP, Amphora, EF5).  My son uses my HD600 more than me since my HE-5 LE are like an upgraded HD600 with better detail and speed.  Without the HE-5 LE I'd still be using the HD600 a bit, which I like better than Grados (except HP-1000).  For closed phones I alternate between my LA7000 and ESW10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back