The hate on beats, why?
May 29, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #1,021 of 1,217
Yup. My sister was looking for a T-Mo phone and I checked out the phone. It was sturdy, sure, but it didn't look as nice as the 920 to me.

Also, I just dug out my Beats Pro for another listen to compare them to a prototype headphone that was sent to me...and I forgot how decent they actually are.

May 29, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,022 of 1,217
Well, to each their own. I think that the 920 looks fat and bloated, and is heavy. Its nice and all, but just a fat also. I think of it as the 925's fat parent. Now, what do beats mixr's sound like?

May 29, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #1,023 of 1,217
More mids and highs than bass, but I felt like the 1-3kHz region was WAY too emphasized, more than the K701's.

May 29, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #1,024 of 1,217

Oh really?  That's cute.  Tell me how many games on Steam work on Mac.  Oh don't worry, I'll wait.

That's a yes and no answer.  Can you do it?  Yes.  Is it legal?  Technically no.  If Apple wanted to, they could legally sue everyone making Hackintosh computers, but they won't so long as you don't sell them.  Can you do it?  Yes, however you need to have VERY specific hardware, for example AMD CPU's aren't supported, and I don't think their GPU's are either.  I'm pretty sure only Gigabyte motherboards work, too.  And have fun finding the drivers to make them work.

You do realize, before they stopped making them, the $1700 Macbook Pro had the same parts as a $700 Windows laptop, right?  Matter of fact the Windows laptops, a lot of the times, had a bigger hard drive, more RAM (they seriously kept selling a laptop with 4GB of RAM, at that price?!), and, if you looked hard enough, a better GPU.  The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 3K edition has a screen with a higher resolution than the Retina (BOTH of them), an m2 SATA SSD (not as good as the PCI one in the Retina), a HDD, more ports than the Retina, and costs about $700 less.  When you buy a Macbook you're paying for the name and the ridiculously expensive method they use to build the enclosure out of aluminium.  Literally everything else is the same you'd find in any other laptop.

Plenty of games work of Mac. Is it Windows? No, but people who are very casual can have a decent gaming experience. I have a friend who games on his Mac. He does a ton of graphic design and likes OS X, and he doesn't want to spend money on a gaming PC when he doesn't game a ton. The Mac lineup isn't slated to game anyways, it's like comparing a Mustang to Kia Optima. The Mustang is designed to be fun to drive and as a muscle car, whereas the Optima is designed to be driver friendly, get good gas mileage, and just act as a "boring" sedan. Gaming PCs need to be worked on, upgraded, and tinkered with (much like muscle cars), where people who get Macs expect them to just work, and for them to work well (much like sedans like the Kia Optima).

Macs are designed for people who want an integrated, easy to use, experience. While some of the lineup is overpriced, a lot of the Mac lineup is very competitively priced. Look at the new Mac Pros. Look at the Mac Mini. Even the Macbook Air is relatively competitively priced. That doesn't even account for the fact that people are willing to pay more to get OS X. I'm not saying you should go out and buy an Apple product by any means, but saying every single product they have is overpriced, is just wrong. Not everything is about straight technical specs. If people are willing to pay more money for what you offer, then that's their choice.

May 29, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #1,025 of 1,217

Plenty of games work of Mac. Is it Windows? No, but people who are very casual can have a decent gaming experience. I have a friend who games on his Mac. He does a ton of graphic design and likes OS X, and he doesn't want to spend money on a gaming PC when he doesn't game a ton. The Mac lineup isn't slated to game anyways, it's like comparing a Mustang to Kia Optima. The Mustang is designed to be fun to drive and as a muscle car, whereas the Optima is designed to be driver friendly, get good gas mileage, and just act as a "boring" sedan. Gaming PCs need to be worked on, upgraded, and tinkered with (much like muscle cars), where people who get Macs expect them to just work, and for them to work well (much like sedans like the Kia Optima).

Macs are designed for people who want an integrated, easy to use, experience. While some of the lineup is overpriced, a lot of the Mac lineup is very competitively priced. Look at the new Mac Pros. Look at the Mac Mini. Even the Macbook Air is relatively competitively priced. That doesn't even account for the fact that people are willing to pay more to get OS X. I'm not saying you should go out and buy an Apple product by any means, but saying every single product they have is overpriced, is just wrong. Not everything is about straight technical specs. If people are willing to pay more money for what you offer, then that's their choice.

The discussion wasn't casual gaming.  The person I was talking to stated "Steam has been on Mac OS for YEARS", implying there's a healthy library of games for Mac OS.  There isn't.  When I had a Mac, I only had three games: TF2, Portal, and Portal 2.  The rest were either games I weren't interested in, or games that wouldn't run on the OS.

Remind me of the part where I said their entire lineup of products is overpriced.........

May 29, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #1,026 of 1,217
@DisChord

Okay, I may have been wrong with the new HTC One M8 (looks pretty cool, if you ask me), but the rest of the examples you posted...meh. The Acer looks like complete and utter garbage. The HP is decent, but isn't as streamlined as, say, a Pro 13 or a Razer Blade. As for the Nokia, I like the colors and all, but WP OS sucks IIRC. It feels good in the hand, though, I can give it that.

Also, good work with the 6-post combo. :p

May 29, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #1,027 of 1,217

The discussion wasn't casual gaming.  The person I was talking to stated "Steam has been on Mac OS for YEARS", implying there's a healthy library of games for Mac OS.  There isn't.  When I had a Mac, I only had three games: TF2, Portal, and Portal 2.  The rest were either games I weren't interested in, or games that wouldn't run on the OS.

Remind me of the part where I said their entire lineup of products is overpriced.........

Steam has been on Mac OS for years. Since at least 2010. Just because there weren't games that caught your interest doesn't make the library of games unhealthy. There just aren't as many on Mac as on Windows.

But as far as the lineup being overpriced, that was more in reply to the post a few above yours. That was my bad, I'm sorry.

May 29, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #1,028 of 1,217

Good sir, don't get me wrong, but I have a 250 bucks notebook that I used for over 2 years for "work" (School and stuff), it runs Word and all the stuff perfectly, so why spend 1700?
And if you want to game casually, why not get a 600 bucks windows laptop?

May 29, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #1,029 of 1,217
  Good sir, don't get me wrong, but I have a 250 bucks notebook that I used for over 2 years for "work" (School and stuff), it runs Word and all the stuff perfectly, so why spend 1700?
And if you want to game casually, why not get a 600 bucks windows laptop?

Can we not talk about Mac vs PC, please. Remember: head-fi.

Thanks,
K

May 29, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #1,031 of 1,217
+1...unless it relates to audio!

I'm using a Windows PC, and the onboard headphone out is terrible. You know how the Windows volume slider is a scale of 100? I can only listen to it at 4/100 when using headphones. Any louder is too loud.

May 29, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #1,032 of 1,217
I'm using a Windows PC, and the onboard headphone out is terrible. You know how the Windows volume slider is a scale of 100? I can only listen to it at 4/100 when using headphones. Any louder is too loud.
-_- ... Have you considered buying and installing a new soundcard? And 4/100? That's a powerful amp lol.

May 29, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,033 of 1,217
Beats are the equivalent of the new Jordan shoes.    They attach a famous name to a mediocre product and can charge way more for it.   Good for them if people are stupid enough to buy them.   Pretty soon all hip hop artists will have their own headphones

May 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,034 of 1,217
ITT: nonsense from people who are more interested in making themselves feel better about what they've purchased via claiming others have inferior products.

Beats bashing and Apple hating always reminds me of little kids who get into wars about what game system is the best. It's only ever the ones who could only afford one that get into that. The people who have more than one never care. 

You know what's funniest, is when you get guys like CB who can have whatever headphones they want, and they own a few Beats and enjoy them. You'd think if Beats were so awful and not worth it he'd stick with all the non-Beats he owns. Or me, I own three laptops, and I use my Macbook Pro. You'd think if those Windows laptops were sooooo much better, they'd be the ones I use. Weird.

But by all means, everyone. Continue to think that Beats are just for idiots who follow the trends and don't know any better or Apple is expensive for no reason. I mean, it really doesn't make a difference to me, since you guys are the ones who are incapable of really thinking for yourselves.

But then, this argument as a whole is just 
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back