The hate on beats, why?
May 19, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #556 of 1,217

It's more information than just guessing.

I see beats all the time, worn by people in public. I refuse to believe "they aren't selling" unless I see proof/figures. 

Oh yeah, anecdotal evidence isn't exactly useful, but as it stands it's hard to say whether the 2013 Studios specifically are doing particularly well. If people never seem to see them, that's at least something. 

I see Beats all over the place, but usually the Solos or Mixrs. Oddly enough I see more Beats Studios/executives on older folks. 

May 19, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #557 of 1,217

It's more information than just guessing.

I see beats all the time, worn by people in public. I refuse to believe "they aren't selling" unless I see proof/figures. 

On this side of the world, I also think they aren't really selling (in this area, particularly), having seen only two pairs of Solo HDs and none of anything else. Though I've seen a lot of people checking out the Beats Studios and Executives, I've never seen one wearing a pair out and about on the streets. So whether or not they have the guts to wear them outside for whatever reason, I seem to be the only person in my area to wear a pair of Beats out in public (although I do remember this one guy who owned a pair of white Pros, and another with a pair of black Studio 1s).

May 19, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #558 of 1,217
Sennheiser HD600s sell pretty well, even after all these years..

But I've never seen a pair in the street 
wink_face.gif

Either way, regardless of if we have personally seen them, I'd need to see sales figures before making up my mind on whether or not they are selling. 

Anything else is just anecdotal/guesswork.. And maybe a little bit of hope.

May 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #559 of 1,217
Did they change the sound of the pros, like they changed the sound of the studios?

May 19, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #560 of 1,217
  Sennheiser HD600s sell pretty well, even after all these years..

But I've never seen a pair in the street 
wink_face.gif

I think if the Beats Studios were selling at the level of the HD600's the company would be in absolute panic mode dude, LOL. 

May 19, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #561 of 1,217
Did they change the sound of the pros, like they changed the sound of the studios?

As far as I know, I don't think so. I have the pre-split pair, and comparing it with the post-split, there's not much of a difference. Of course, mine are fakes, so I don't know...

They haven't redesigned the Pros yet, so maybe Beats is already working on that.

May 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #562 of 1,217
As far as I know, I don't think so. I have the pre-split pair, and comparing it with the post-split, there's not much of a difference. Of course, mine are fakes, so I don't know...

They haven't redesigned the Pros yet, so maybe Beats is already working on that.
and the pros are still better than studio 2.0's?

May 19, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #564 of 1,217
May 19, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #565 of 1,217
I can say that I have seen plenty of new Beats to say that they are still selling.
And I must say too, that I saw a pair of black Executives (2013) and they look soo good, good on Beats for ditching the glossy plastic look, and going for a more elegant, matte black. The headband with white stitches looked nice too.

May 20, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #567 of 1,217
  I can say that I have seen plenty of new Beats to say that they are still selling.
And I must say too, that I saw a pair of black Executives (2013) and they look soo good, good on Beats for ditching the glossy plastic look, and going for a more elegant, matte black. The headband with white stitches looked nice too.

Yeah, I must admit that the Matte Black Studio 2.0 looks very stealthy and not as ostentatious as Beats normally do. They remind me of the Beats Detox.

May 20, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #568 of 1,217
I started working at my local Best Buy in the Home Theater department in 2008. Not long after I started, Beats by Dre became a thing. First, they showed up in the headphone section, innocently enough. Then they had their own endcap. Best Buy, naturally, being Monster's, well, bitch circa 2008, let them run rampant with training and marketing in the stores. They trained all the media associates to refer to them as "studio headphones" and spent millions of dollars to allot ridiculous amounts of hours worth of training to these associates in which they flat out lied to them. "Universally respected and studio-used headphones," and, my personal favorite, "the most natural and neutral sounding headphones on the market." Whether or not you like Beats or not, you can't tell me that a) Beats are used in studio nor universally respected and b) that they are natural and neutral sounding.

They then touted their noise canceling as the best in class, obliterating Bose's noise canceling. Which wasn't true. The noise floor was absurd and they had a ridiculous level of static that degraded the sound. Not to mention the noise canceling ran through batteries at a ridiculous pace; and due to this replacement, the battery doors were flimsy and broke off easily on our store display. We quickly also found out they leaked an absurd amount of sound, so when kids would go to the display to crank them, you could hear them playing them at ear-bleeding levels. I then listened to a pair, and what I found out is that they sound not half bad for what they are focusing in on; electronic, rap and hip hop. They have overemphasized bass which is good for people who want that sound and to feel their music, whether you agree with that or not. But they have no outside isolation, and as we would come to find out, are ridiculously terribly made. The markup was absurd, Best Buy paid $80 for each pair of Studios.

Monster continued to tout these as studio level headphones and funnel absurd amounts of money into trainings, which resulted in employees pretty much being forced to wear them around their necks. Their demo was so loud that we could hear the Black Eyed Peas across the aisle in Home Theater at our desk, and since the headband broke, they just hung from their wires blasting awful music that you couldn't turn down or off. But because of what they did with Best Buy, rich kids wanting to listen to Lil Wayne gobbled these things up, and then at this point it became a fashion accessory; which I have NO problem with.

Somewhere along the line though, "tech-saavy" people and parents developed the idea, due to Monster's marketing, that the Beats were the BEST headphones on the market because that sound quality is the BEST, that the build quality was incredible and thus they were worth the money. This blended well with kids who wanted Beats as a fashion accessory. So suddenly, people were telling people who had been listening to headphones for years and "good" audio that they had crap headphones and that I needed to spend my money on Beats. 

From here, the celebrity endorsement fad grew ridiculously, creating dozens of knock-off terrible headphones charging $300 and overall giving over-the-ear headphones a bad name and further boning customers. These headphones weren't even fashion statements because these kids were still being made fun of. THEN once a brand like SOL Republic comes out and actually makes a trendy looking pair of good sounding headphones, they get trashed for catering to the Beats marketing, even though they tried to actually bring good sound to the Beats market by "audiophiles" on places like this place. The SOL released their graphs and they had a great curve for popular music, but neckbeards still trashed them. So, suddenly, there became a huge gap in between good looking headphones and good SOUNDING headphones because brands knew that if they weren't Beats, they wouldn't sell, so what was the point in actually SPENDING money to make a good sounding headphone in a nice case when you could half ass a driver and throw it in the same housing?

Fortunately, Beats has come to their senses. First off, they released the Beats Pro a few years ago which sound excellent for their market (DJ, electronica, dub, house, etc) and then dumbing them down to cater to the DJ market with the Mixr. The new headphone lines like the "Studio" no longer outwardly advertise being the most neutral natural headphones on the market; even though they're still called Studio, Beats actively market that their headphones make poorly encoded MP3s sound better (because they do.) Do Beats "Studio" sound good on 320 kbps rock? Hell no. But do they sound good on 128 kbps hip hop? Absolutely. That's because once Monster left they tried to run a smart business plan. And Beats Audio as well as their Streaming service are actually good. Sure, Beats Audio is nothing more than an EQ, but it demands that people want better audio than tin cans on all their products even if it's not good on our standards.

I can't forgive Beats for what they did from 2008-2013, so if they want to ever have me *not* hate them, they need probably another 5 years. But the way they went on the market was pure predatory marketing genius. Capitalism gone wrong, plain and simple.

May 20, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #569 of 1,217

I can't forgive Beats for what they did from 2008-2013, so if they want to ever have me *not* hate them, they need probably another 5 years. But the way they went on the market was pure predatory marketing genius. Capitalism gone wrong, plain and simple.

Beats will get over you like M Audio will get over me. Seriously. Lotta companies got on that wave BTW. For profit companies trying to tap into a new market.

The last part I bolded makes no sense if it's a free and open market. There is nothing simple about capitalism gone wrong. I don't know what that means?

Capitalism is an economic system in which trade, industry, and the means of production are controlled by private owners with the goal of making profits in a market economy.

It seems to have gone very very right? Apple is scooping them up. Seems about right to me.

May 20, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #570 of 1,217
They did everyone a favor though; other manufacturers' headphones gradually became less ugly, and more 'extra-bass" headphones emerged, too.
Neutral, accurate sound isn't always the way to go. To most, it sounds boring and lacks "punch". Even when I listen to music using non-Beats, I pretty much always have a 55 Hz +4 dB bass booster to complement my music for that added punch that most headphones lack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back