The GrubDAC
Jul 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #392 of 1,079
Juaquin is correct.  The 5V point on the grub is directly connected to the USB bus.  So your maximum current you can draw from here is ~450 ma (500ma for USB standard - ~50ma that the grubDAC draws for itself).

Jul 13, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #394 of 1,079
I received mine today 
smile.gif

Regards

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #395 of 1,079
I have an embarassing announcement about the kits.  It seems that we made a mistake on the BOM (we only went through 6 iterations of the design!).  C5 is listed as one of the 805 capacitors and as one of the three electrolytics.  C5 is one of the three electrolytics, though - there is no SMD C5.

I'll be correcting the BOM shortly, but with close to 100 kits already packed, I'm not going to worry about having a single 805 capacitor as an extra.  Just don't scratch your head too long when you see a "C5" included in the 805 capacitor pack.
redface.gif

Thanks - let us see some pics of your progress when you can!

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #396 of 1,079
I have to take as much responsibility as tomb for the kit mess up.  As tomb has stated, we did revise the BOM several times, I *tried* to audit it and did build from the BOM several times.
redface.gif

At least it is one extra part as opposed to short a part.  And it gives you an extra for when you flip one into the carpet...

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #397 of 1,079
I just started on putting together a GrubKit, and I feel like pointing out the obvious: This smd stuff is freaking tiny!
I need to keep both hands on the iron to minimize my trembling, and those several cups of coffee I just had was probably not a very good idea either.
I want to thank the good people who put this whole thing together, including the brilliant step-by-step guide, for making it a very un-intimidating project for a first time DIYer.

Here's my current progress. Think I will have the board fully populated by the end of the week-end, don't want to stress this.

And another thing: Water soluble flux is pretty neat.

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #398 of 1,079
Congrats, it looks great.
Yep Coffee is not your friend with this type of work. You may come to prefer it though. I know I like it more that through hole now. If I could only see it better, but these old eyes just aren't what the used to be!

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #400 of 1,079

So, could one add a TOSlink input to this?  even if it were a seperate little board that ribbon cable attached to the GRUB..  I really come up with crazy ones when I sit for too long :p

AA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back