Quote:
It appears that there is a new category page at Beezar
biggrin.gif

http://beezar.com/oscommerce2/catalog/index.php?cPath=40

Great work tomb.

Ordered! Thanks again Tom!

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #377 of 1,079

Quote:
So I completed one of these, got the parts mouser and used a mogami star quad wires. Here is the odd thing, the blue led comes on, the test point reads 3.3v, and at times my computer recognizes and installs drivers... But at other times I get a device not recognized error. I would not get this error at all before I installed the mogami wire, so I tried again, this time around I got it to work, got sound, listened for a 10 or 15 minutes, at around that time the sound started to get coarse, I touched the cable and the sound cut off, tried to take usb plug out and plug back in and yet again I get... USB device not recognized. Am I just doing a poor job installing the output cables?

Let's wait for cobaltmute to help you, but my guess is yes - there's something wrong in how you've connected the output cables.  You can get a horrible noise if the ground wires are not making good contact, or you can lose the sound altogether.  I'm not sure if this would have anything to do with your computer not recognizing the DAC, but if the output wires are shorted, it might.

As I said, let's see what cobaltmute says ...

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #379 of 1,079
Has anyone tried putting a GrubDAC (non-cable) in a larger metal enclosure, like the Hammond 1455C1201BK (the longer version of the enclosure specced for the AlienDAC)? I'd prefer to have my DAC to have a little more substance on my desk, plus it'll match the SSMH case. Anything I need to be aware of if I do it this way?

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #380 of 1,079
Sure you can. It'll be easier to work with too, since there's more space. If you get the metal panels, it's not as easy to work with as plastic. Just make sure that you line the hole up with the mini USB jack. I don't know if you can put your RCA jacks/cables in the same side as the USB jack, so it may have to be front panel mounted, essentially making it a cable DAC.

Edit: Took a look at the case. If you mount it using the slots on the side, it may be a very tight fit. FYI.

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #381 of 1,079
I just checked on mouser, and it looks like PCM2707PJT is back in stock.  However, the low dropout regulator (TPS79333DBVRQ1) is still out of stock (even though the estimated ship date is July 1st).  Is there an alternative that's in stock at mouser?  Also, the crystal oscillator (C3392-12.000) is non-stocked with minimum order of 550.  Is there a suitable replacement for at at mouser as well?

(I've already bought the production PCBs a few months ago, planning to use them with the Carrie amp, so the Beezar kit doesn't help me...)

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #383 of 1,079

Quote:
Sure you can. It'll be easier to work with too, since there's more space. If you get the metal panels, it's not as easy to work with as plastic. Just make sure that you line the hole up with the mini USB jack. I don't know if you can put your RCA jacks/cables in the same side as the USB jack, so it may have to be front panel mounted, essentially making it a cable DAC.

Edit: Took a look at the case. If you mount it using the slots on the side, it may be a very tight fit. FYI.

If it is non-cable - you will be putting RCA's or a mini TRS jack panel mounted on the case, and the USB connector could be touching as well.  using metal panels, would there be any grounding issues?  Should the jacks be isolated?

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #384 of 1,079

Quote:

If it is non-cable - you will be putting RCA's or a mini TRS jack panel mounted on the case, and the USB connector could be touching as well.  using metal panels, would there be any grounding issues?  Should the jacks be isolated?

This is what I was concerned with as well, but I just discovered Mouser's PDF catalog of Hammond cases, and it seems plastic end panels are cheaper than the equivalent metal end panel enclosure, so I don't see any reason why metal would be any better (besides aesthetics, but this is supposed to be an inexpensive DAC anyway...). I think in this case it would be easier to find a USB jack that's panel-mount and wire it to the PCB instead, then secure the PCB to the case using hot glue or something. I'll peruse the Hammond offerings, compare them to TomB's SSMH Hammond case, and see which one would work the best. The 1455J1202BK seems like a good compromise between physical presence and panel space.

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #385 of 1,079

Quote:
LP2985A-33DBVR for the 3.3V regulator
549-C3391-12.000 for the crystal

Got it.  Thanks so much!

Unfortunately looks like some of the xicon caps for the Carrie are not out-of-stock at mouser...  Why can't they stock these things all at once?  Will ask in the Carrie thread for appropriate replacement for those.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #387 of 1,079
One more kit ordered!  :)  Thanks to all those involved in making these kits possible.

cheers!

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #390 of 1,079
The Grub doesn't technically supply the Carrie. The Grub voltage input is directly from USB, and the Carrie piggybacks on that USB power source. So it's a question of what current the computer supplies both the Grub and Carrie over the USB cable (max for most computers is 500ma, which is sometimes a problem). The Grub has no effect on the supply of the Carrie (except for the supply running through traces on the Grub and the bit of capacitance across the rails).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back