The GrubDAC
Jun 2, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #346 of 1,079
Yes, everyone's out of stock. It's not the Grub (at least, not all of the demand). Dozens of other things use that part. Luckily TomB was able to order a bunch of them for the kits. Not sure about the difference between the two but I doubt they're interchangeable (or else people would have done it).

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #347 of 1,079

Quote:
 Not sure about the difference between the two but I doubt they're interchangeable (or else people would have done it).

We've already done it. 
wink.gif
  If you check the grubDAC build thread that tomb has posted, you'll notice that he has used the PCM2706 for his builds.  You can used a PCM2706 for a PCM2707, but the reverse may not be true 

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #349 of 1,079

Quote:
wait a min..so the PCM2707 doesn't wok in the grubDAC?

The PCM2706 and PCM2707 are completely interchangeable on the grubDAC.

Also, from cobaltmute a couple of posts back:

Quote:
The difference between the PCM2706 and the 2707 is that the 2706 supports an external rom for supplying descriptors to the host (PC).  For the purposes of the grub, they are inter-changable.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #350 of 1,079
heh..really need to stop going to bed so late..oh well..guess means more debugging the board then. So far, best as i can tell there are no bridges on the wolfson part. Will go over it again however.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #351 of 1,079

Quote:
heh..really need to stop going to bed so late..oh well..guess means more debugging the board then. So far, best as i can tell there are no bridges on the wolfson part. Will go over it again however.

Can you post a pic?  The light bulb trick in the build thread works for me, but photographing the PCB with a decent macro lens setting is a pretty good method, too.  You can blow it up to see a lot more details.  Plus, there's always the chance that someone may be able to spot something that you may have missed.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #352 of 1,079
Sachu,

Since you DAC was recognized, IIRC, the issue is between the PCM2707 and the WM8524 or the WM8524 itself.  You'd need to check for bridges on the output pins of the PCM2707 and the input pins of the WM8524.  The input pin on the WM8524 are the 4 pins (2 on each side) closest to the PCM2707.  You could ohm them out to see if there are any bridges.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #353 of 1,079

Quote:
We've already done it. 
wink.gif
  If you check the grubDAC build thread that tomb has posted, you'll notice that he has used the PCM2706 for his builds.  You can used a PCM2706 for a PCM2707, but the reverse may not be true 

Apparently I need to work on my reading comprehension. Sorry for the confusion!

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #355 of 1,079
Tom was gracious enough to allow my brother to purchase a completed GrubDAC at CanJam, which I dropped into his SOHA II. Simply a great pairing for a guy with a laptop living in the sandbox.

From what I have heard so far, great job, and synergizes very well with his Grados.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #356 of 1,079

Quote:
Tom was gracious enough to allow my brother to purchase a completed GrubDAC at CanJam, which I dropped into his SOHA II. Simply a great pairing for a guy with a laptop living in the sandbox.

From what I have heard so far, great job, and synergizes very well with his Grados.

Thanks for the comments!  Glad to hear it worked!  I had not had a chance to test it out.  Your brother purchased one of the two I built in the GrubDAC Build Thread.

Now, if I can just get those kits going.  I'm about 75% there, but other things keep interrupting.  Hopefully, it'll be very soon.
smile.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #357 of 1,079

Quote:
Thanks for the comments!  Glad to hear it worked!  I had not had a chance to test it out.  Your brother purchased one of the two I built in the GrubDAC Build Thread.

Now, if I can just get those kits going.  I'm about 75% there, but other things keep interrupting.  Hopefully, it'll be very soon.
smile.gif

I'm very interested in one or two of those kits. Will you annonunce when they're availabe in this thread?

cheers !

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #358 of 1,079

Quote:

I'm very interested in one or two of those kits. Will you annonunce when they're availabe in this thread?

cheers !

Most likely I'll ask cobaltmute to do that.
wink.gif
  It might violate the rules since I'm a MOT.

It should be next weekend, but I've said that before.
redface.gif
  Unfortunately, I ran into some issues building the kits for the RCA output leads - seems I had to re-calculate the heat shrink pieces a number of times and re-order stuff.  Also, packaging up between two and three thousand SMD parts has been a bit of a grind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back