The GrubDAC
May 25, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #331 of 1,079
That is sweet Tomb..

Are the boards shipping for this already. I have a really cool amp build coming up and would love to have this built in.
In fact i just placed an order for the board..hoping I can have it by the weekend so I can finish the build..
smily_headphones1.gif

Seems mouser was out of the LDO regulator specced in the BOm..so went for this one

They had the Wolson DAC too which is cool. I had a PMC2706/7 to use for the USB to I2S. A nice little DAC on the cheap..awesome!

May 25, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #332 of 1,079

Quote:
That is sweet Tomb..

Are the boards shipping for this already. I have a really cool amp build coming up and would love to have this built in.
In fact i just placed an order for the board..hoping I can have it by the weekend so I can finish the build..
smily_headphones1.gif

Seems mouser was out of the LDO regulator specced in the BOm..so went for this one

They had the Wolson DAC too which is cool. I had a PMC2706/7 to use for the USB to I2S. A nice little DAC on the cheap..awesome!

Yes, the PCB's have been shipping for awhile, now.

As for the LDO regulator, as long as it's "TPS79333" it should be OK.  It's impossible to keep up with the suffix designations on some TI chips.  They change them with almost every manufacturing cycle.  When in doubt, type the BOM's description into the Mouser search field instead of using the BOM's direct link.  Most of the time, you'll get plenty of acceptable alternates or "as-equals." 

May 25, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #333 of 1,079
The TPS79333 comes in:

1. RoHS
  2. non RoHS
  3. Automotive
  4. Military Enhanced

versions.

Any version will work fine.  The major difference is that some versions are run through an enhanced quality control process.

May 29, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #336 of 1,079

Quote:
jeez..these ICs are near impossible to solder with the tip i have.. 
frown.gif

Sorry if you're having trouble, but actually - they're easier to solder than the PCM2702 on the Alien and Bantam, for instance.  I use a 0.8mm chisel tip on my Hakko (1.6mm is the standard Hakko tip).  Solder is 0.025", 63/37 Kester 44, but I use that for everything.

Be sure you read the soldering tips on the GrubDAC website - http://www.diyforums.org/GrubDAC/GrubDACsolder.php, and the link to Tangent's tutorial video on SMD soldering that's on that page.  Also, until I get the step-by-step of the GrubDAC done, refer to the BantamDAC step-by-step instructions.  There are a lot of good tips in there.

May 30, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #341 of 1,079

Quote:
Sorry if you're having trouble, but actually - they're easier to solder than the PCM2702 on the Alien and Bantam, for instance.  I use a 0.8mm chisel tip on my Hakko (1.6mm is the standard Hakko tip).  Solder is 0.025", 63/37 Kester 44, but I use that for everything.

I used the exact same materials (well, my Hakko is a clone, but same tip, solder) and I agree that the Grub's IC is a lot easier to solder down than the Bantam, even considering that it has four sides. I've fried two Bantam's but my first Grub came out perfect. Regardless, SMD is a pain in the butt. Wish the manufacturers would make a DAC in a DIP package.

May 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #342 of 1,079
I use a 1.6mm tip with 0.031" solder. Takes some patience and a very gnetlr hand not to get too much solder.

They do sell DIP DACs but you still end up having to deal with something that is SMD along the chain.

May 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #343 of 1,079
The key ingredient here is solder flux. Flux the pads and pins thoroughly and tip each pin with a good tinned solder-tip. A 1,6mm solder-tip works even better than a 0,8mm because there is much more heat in the tip.
At the age of 48 and an eyesight that is not what it used to be I manage quite well to solder these little buggers with good result.

Regards 

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #344 of 1,079
Is it just me, or are PCM2706/2707s out of stock until mid-Augustish? I've checked TI, Mouser, and Newark (my three potential sources) and all three are out of chips. Is the Grub that popular?

Also, is there a difference between the PCM2706 and the PCM2707? I checked the datasheets but it seems like the two use the same pdf, just titled differently, so I'm inclined to believe the difference is negligible for our uses.

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #345 of 1,079
The difference between the PCM2706 and the 2707 is that the 2706 supports an external rom for supplying descriptors to the host (PC).  For the purposes of the grub, they are inter-changable.

The PCM chips are ones that unfortunately go in and out of stock.  Several projects, like the grub and the gamma1 can be affected by this.  I know that tomb/Beezar has stock  but I believe with CanJam coming up he is tied up with other items and this is keeping him from putting the kits up in his store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back