The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jul 4, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #2,506 of 2,859
Pair no. 60 showed up yesterday and they've managed to displace the HD-800 for at least a little bit.

I'm not crazy about the F1 mistake, but can live with it. Fit'n'finish are pretty good otherwise. I wouldn't freak out over a small rub mark or glue squeeze-out, anyway.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #2,507 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not crazy about the F1 mistake....

That's almost the worst part of it! Well, that glue is pretty bad, too.
tongue.gif

I would be buying these to keep, not to resell. It would just bug me to know I spent that kind of money for phones with such blatant manufacturing defects. It's like paying to be insulted.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #2,508 of 2,859
Has anyone actually notified JG or Todd of this "F1" crap? It would be utterly ridiculous if they propagate that error down the line for the remaining 500 or so (assuming that 300 people didn't just cancel based on the above pictures).

Now the buyer's remorse sets in.

Allenf, send those back if you can, 'else the quality is going to decline even more for the rest of us.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #2,509 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what you notice by looking at about 20% of the can. Wonder what the other 80% Looks like?

No joke. Those that have received them, particularly Allenf, are there any other issues with the can? Headband issues? length of the cable after the split (same on both sides)? Cable entry issues (loose, roughed up, etc.)?

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #2,510 of 2,859
Yes, I wonder if the 2nd batch was made elsewhere? Or if they just rushed out the 44 which is why Todd couldn't send the other 6. Or maybe todd got all 50 and those 6 were REALLY bad.

This scares me, I KNEW I should have sent my gradnpa to canjam to pick up a pair.

Here's to hoping John Grado doesn't let this continue.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #2,511 of 2,859
I am shocked that the lynching mob here at Head-Fi has taken this in stride, and has even snickered about it.

Manufacturers have been burned at the stake for quality control issues far less prominent than this one. The Jade comes to mind. An incredibly wonderful sounding headphone that was chastised for small "hand-made" QC issues.

We are a bunch of fickle, double standard, carbon based life forms.

Will wonders never cease? Let's not forget that one of the major buying points for these, is that it says "Head-Fi" on it, which represents a place that gives us countless hours of enjoyment and unsurpassed hobby fulfillment.

If it doesn't say "Head-Fi" the whole purpose is defeated. Besides the money that goes into paying my moderator salary (joke, joke, just a joke), the nostalgia is totally undermined.

I'm not saying that mistakes don't happen, but to say "it is o.k" confuses the bejesus out of me.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #2,512 of 2,859
If we sent back something from Grado ever time a little glue appears..........It really has become something of a "LOL" around here. and something we are obviously willing to live with. Pretty soon when someone asks us if this is a fake Grado, we'll say that if there's not glue leaking out, then it must be a fake.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #2,513 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am shocked that the lynching mob here at Head-Fi has taken this in stride, and has even snickered about it.

Manufacturers have been burned at the stake for quality control issues far less prominent than this one. The Jade comes to mind. An incredibly wonderful sounding headphone that was chastised for small "hand-made" QC issues.

We are a bunch of fickle, double standard, carbon based life forms.

Will wonders never cease? Let's not forget that one of the major buying points for these, is that it says "Head-Fi" on it, which represents a place that gives us countless hours of enjoyment and unsurpassed hobby fulfillment.

If it doesn't say "Head-Fi" the whole purpose is defeated. Besides the money that goes into paying my moderator salary (joke, joke, just a joke), the nostalgia is totally undermined.

I'm not saying that mistakes don't happen, but to say "it is o.k" confuses the bejesus out of me.

It's not "Ok." The "Head-F1" is silly and should have been an obvious catch, but not a deal-breaker (nor would "blurry" printing if it wasn't etched); the other QC issues absolutely are dealbreakers on a $430 headphone. Maybe it's fine for people who can throw that much money away, but that was a tough price to justify for a lot of us. And I jumped in because I wanted good quality headphones and to offer my support to this community (and Todd, and JG).

If mine look as slapped together as allenf's, Grado will lose a customer and I'll never think of purchasing a product from them again. I expected these to be made with at least a little care and respect.

Edit: the "glue" isn't the only issue with the pictures posted above; a few imperfections are fine, but the taken as a whole that's unacceptable for this price.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #2,514 of 2,859
I also wonder about the explaining I'd have to do if I ever *DID* want to sell them, maybe years down the line, who knows. Unless the person was familiar with this F1 issue, it might be hard to convince them they weren't fake, unless you pointed them to this thread, or culled a bunch of posts to send them, etc.

And what about the ones with the proper "Head-Fi" on them? Would the value of the F1s be less because of that, or make them harder to sell because "no thanks, I'm waiting for an actual 'Head-Fi' version?"

I'm not saying I would buy them just to sell -- I definitely want a new headphone, and these seemed just about perfect -- but who can predict what will happen maybe years or sometimes even months later?

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #2,515 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree completely. If the next batch looks like this I am going to cancel my order, or at the very least I will send my pair back to ttvj until they are at least up to normal grado standards if it takes me a year.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #2,516 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not "Ok." The "Head-F1" is silly and should have been an obvious catch, but not a deal-breaker (nor would "blurry" printing if it wasn't etched) [...]

Edit: the "glue" isn't the only issue with the pictures posted above; a few imperfections are fine, but the taken as a whole that's unacceptable for this price.

Indeed

Then Uncle Erik, your also came with HEAD-F1?. Well at least it is good to know, because 1 ~ I. Maybe next batch is HEAD-F2, etc... Problem for batch #53
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Lets see what Todd tells us about that, after JG knows about it...

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #2,517 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No joke. Those that have received them, particularly Allenf, are there any other issues with the can? Headband issues? length of the cable after the split (same on both sides)? Cable entry issues (loose, roughed up, etc.)?

The headband is off centre by about 3mm, which is normal and the rest of it looks ok without nitpicking.
But really, what can one say, it's tragic...

032.jpg

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #2,518 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed

Then Uncle Erik, your also came with HEAD-F1?. Well at least it is good to know, because 1 ~ I. Maybe next batch is HEAD-F2, etc... Problem for batch #53
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Lets see what Todd tells us about that, after JG knows about it...

hehehe, next ones might be HEAD-E1, or even HEAD-HI, lol.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #2,519 of 2,859
Maybe a RETURNED GRADO HF-2 thread needs to be started and ALL members with issues be encouraged to return their phones. Perhaps if we can see that we're not alone in our concerns and realizing that there is strength in numbers, then Grado will at least call a 'board' meeting to address the issues and actually act upon them. It may cause a small delay, but maybe we (and they) can start seeing some positive reviews which can only help sales (not discourage future sales).

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #2,520 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had notification that mine would be shipping on July 3rd.I've checked the USPS website but all it says is 'Electronic Shipping Info Received',so according to this mine hasn't been shipped yet.

Many times USPS website does not reflect when the item shipped properly. Sometimes I will do an electronic ship label, take them to the post office, and it takes a couple of days to reflect that I dropped them off that day. That may be the case with you, or you are one of the 6 buyers whose phones didn't show up in the first batch as expected, but your label was already done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back