The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jun 2, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #1,202 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not necessarily. you should try them with the bowls first...if you find that you don't like them, or wish for a bassier presentation, then get the flats. i'm one who thinks the bowls are better on the hf-1 and the rs-1 (yes, i'm in the minority here) because they don't need help in the bass department. initial reports on the hf-2 tell me that they don't need bass help, either, so the bowls might indeed be the pad of choice.

I would recommend that too, but just to show off how different perceptions of sound can be: I think the (headphiled) HF-1 are a tiny bit lacking in bass. But I also think that bowls don't fit my ears that well, because I have relatively small ears. If I push them more forward so that the pads are on my ear lobes, there's a lot of sound leaking out at the bottom as there is no direct touch. On the other hand if I push them back so that the pads are slightly behind my ear lobes, they sound fuller (and louder) but also a bit brighter and lacking some bass. They also get a bit uncomfortable after some time as the driver touches the ear lobe. So it's a bit harder for me and my ears to find the sweetspot with bowls.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #1,204 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend that too, but just to show off how different perceptions of sound can be: I think the (headphiled) HF-1 are a tiny bit lacking in bass. But I also think that bowls don't fit my ears that well, because I have relatively small ears. If I push them more forward so that the pads are on my ear lobes, there's a lot of sound leaking out at the bottom as there is no direct touch. On the other hand if I push them back so that the pads are slightly behind my ear lobes, they sound fuller (and louder) but also a bit brighter and lacking some bass. They also get a bit uncomfortable after some time as the driver touches the ear lobe. So it's a bit harder for me and my ears to find the sweetspot with bowls.

Funny, I thought having small ears was beneficial with the bowls because they don't have to sit awkwardly on the outer ear in one way or another. I have small ears too and the bowls fit almost all the way around my ears without clamping on them at all, or very very little.

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #1,205 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I thought having small ears was beneficial with the bowls because they don't have to sit awkwardly on the outer ear in one way or another. I have small ears too and the bowls fit almost all the way around my ears without clamping on them at all, or very very little.

Yes, but if you put them on so that they fit almost all the way around the ears, the transducers will sit directly upon the ear lobes. This changes the sound completely for me (not necessarily in a bad way though) and also makes them irritating after some time.

What are you doing to improve or work around this?

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #1,206 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know I really wish I remembered what source I was using. At canjam, it was at the TTVJ room, the middle amp setup on the right side of the room.

It was a very large amp with tubes and an amazing sound. It had ample power for both the headphones clearly. Agh I wish i remembered though.
If anyone who attended CanJam remembers what system that was, maybe they can help.

this system?
IMG_3277%20(Large).JPG

IMG_3282%20(Large).JPG

IMG_3284%20(Large).JPG

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #1,207 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know I really wish I remembered what source I was using. At canjam, it was at the TTVJ room, the middle amp setup on the right side of the room.

It was a very large amp with tubes and an amazing sound. It had ample power for both the headphones clearly. Agh I wish i remembered though.
If anyone who attended CanJam remembers what system that was, maybe they can help.

The Manley clearly could not drive two Grado at the same time without the sound changing, although it was okay with one Grado and one HD800.

The 307A on the far right in the TTVJ room was a little better to my ears, and it was able to run a 4-pin HP-1000 and dual 3-pin PS-1000 balanced at the same time (and 4-pin HD800 and PS-1000 at the same time). Too bad it can't run a SE and a Balanced phone at the same time, which have to be swapped back and forth by flipping a switch.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #1,208 of 2,859
wow flats are $35? hmm Id like to try them on my HF-1 and HF-2 but wow. Maybe a little bit later
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #1,209 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no reason why the price of the RS1 would be the limiting factor for the resale value of the HF2. The HF2 is arguably better, and at the very least comparable. It's also a special edition.

I think it's WAY too early for anyone to claim that the HF2 is better than the RS1. I own the RS1 myself and have ordered the HF2, so I'll get to do that comparison myself. Of course initial impressions are of value, but unless the HF2 sounds completely unlike other Grados (e.g. the GS1000), I'm figuring it will take at least two weeks of burn in followed by two weeks of listening to really assess the HF2 vs. RS1.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #1,210 of 2,859
If anything it probably is a sidestep to the RS-1 and not clearly "better" just a different emphasis and representation of sound that we all love
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #1,212 of 2,859
I just put in an order for the Grado HF-2s!! I can't wait when they ship!!

So I was a little misinformed and pads do not come with the headphones? If they don't come with pads, luckily I have a friend with extra flat pads. :p

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #1,214 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just put in an order for the Grado HF-2s!! I can't wait when they ship!!

So I was a little misinformed and pads do not come with the headphones? If they don't come with pads, luckily I have a friend with extra flat pads. :p

They will come with bowl pads, which I preferred on the HF-1.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #1,215 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the flats make the sound bassier (as the transducers get nearer to the ears) and so do the mids get thicker and more prominent. Bowls make Grados a bit more airy and balanced, while balanced doesn't automatically mean better. Some prefer it one way, some the other. Besides that it also depends on the headphone itself to a high degree. If they have dry mids with underpowered bass, flats will make them sound better (unless someone is reaching for exactly that sound signature).

Oh yeah, the soundstage also gets narrower too because of the smaller distance between the ears and the speakers of course.

I've never heard of anyone getting flats because of bass response. Flats are typically used to attenuate the peaks in treble that grados exhibit with bowls. So I'm afraid I disagree when you say bowls make them more balanced. I think bass is best with bowls or HD414, but the rest is best with flats, because it flattens out the rest of the spectrum, IMO.

You could also easily sell your flat pads for not much loss if you order them right away and don't like them. If you don't, you'll just be curious and want them later
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back