The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 17, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #256 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With this being a Green/Grado production, we should be able to fall asleep longer counting to 1 million while waiting for the HD800.

At least with the HF-2, there will definitely be a "postman" knock on the door upon waking up from this pleasant dream!

Yup, I'll have the HF2s to keep me company while waiting for the HD800s. I rather like this.
tongue_smile.gif

See you at CanJam Aaron. Is Telica coming also?

May 17, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #258 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See you at CanJam Aaron. Is Telica coming also?

Gotta work the Holy weekend, and this and next weekend, too!
redface.gif

I am on vacation with the fam the week of and in-between.

Wanna kid sit?

May 17, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #259 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've come to appreciate Grados over the years - I doubt the HF-2 will be a bad product. I'm willing to pay $429 for one, especially considering the excellent value the HF-1 was.

Also, you don't know how long the HF-2 has been in the works. Jude apparently has had one for awhile and the announcement was planned. The HF-2 might also use a number of parts already stocked (and probably does) so production can go straight ahead.

Are you sure the PS-1000 isn't meeting production schedules? Sometimes delayed releases are used to build interest and perceived value for a product. It certainly doesn't look any more difficult to build than any other Grado.

Which leads to a thought I had. Maybe the PS-1000 demand is off, especially due to the economy. Luxury sales are down for everything, hard. If anticipated PS-1000 sales are off, there's a chance that Grado ordered too many drivers for it and is overstocked. If demand isn't there for the PS-1000, then why not put the extra drivers into a HF-2? Just speculation, but possible.

I think the "baby PS-1000" reference was to the sound, not necessarily the looks.

That's why I think the HF-2 will have a tweaked version of the GS-1000/PS-1000 driver in a unique cup, most likely with the large circumaural pads and a leather headband. A plastic/mahogany cup would be in line with the HF-1 and would not undercut the "prestige" of full mahogany or aluminum cups.

The HF-2 will probably have much the same flavor of the GS-1000 and PS-1000. If you want a more refined version of the HF-2, then there will be an obvious upgrade path.

Also, I wonder if the HF-2 might herald a new line of Grados, or maybe an extension of the RS line. The driver used in the GS-1000, PS-1000 and HF-2 (presumably) might be carried over into a less expensive plastic cup/vinyl band headphone similar, but not identical to, the HF-2. Perhaps this new Grado will also be unveiled at CanJam. We will see.

This is exactly the kind of post that the ignorant and uninformed come along and read which results in ridiculous rumors being thrown around Head-Fi as if they are fact. The parts in bold are simply ludicrous.

Grado may have ordered too many PS1000 drivers and now they're going to give them away in a $429 headphone? LOL! Yeah...sure. Like Grado is hurting so bad financially that if they don't move those out the door they're in the predicament of going out of business. What a tremendously absurd joke speculation. Let's just put the same drivers we put in our $1700 headphone in to a $429 headphone. Possible, perhaps by definition, but not probable in the slightest.

Then you say GS-1000/PS-1000 driver instead of replacing the / with the word or, as if you've already determined that they use the same driver without even hearing the PS-1000 or getting confirmation from Grado Labs. Laughable at best.

Once again, the HF-2 will probably have much the same flavor of the GS-1000 and PS-1000 implying that the latter two sound anything alike when both Zanth and Sanderman have confirmed that they don't. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Then the best part of your post. "The driver used in the GS-1000, PS-1000 and HF-2 (presumably)". So now not only is the GS-1000 and PS-1000 driver the same but also that of the HF-2 as well, AND Grado is going to release an entirely new line based on it. Comedic gold.

I think the many hours you have spent listening to the DT48 are starting to affect your brain. Perhaps you should apply for a writing job with The Onion?

May 17, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #260 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...snip...

surely you realize that the HF-2's will probably use the PS-3000's kryptonite-infused teflon drivers. seems obvious to me
wink.gif

but seriously, are u suggesting we can't have some fun speculating?

May 17, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #261 of 2,859
Wow.....the speculation just took a turn for the worse....

Wasn't all the post in Uncle Erik's post has the word, probably, presumably, maybe... why would anyone take those as fact? :S

I think HF-2 will be made from rubber to maximize portability and for the leather headband, there will be many small massage thingie that massage your head while you listening to it, but at the same time will pulse accordingly to the bass line of your music.

May 17, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #266 of 2,859
Speculation is just that..not written in stone. Actually how many drivers would Grado have made? One perhaps two? Some doping, wire changes and a new resonance chamber and you have a different sound. Ten phones have ten different drivers? I doubt that! Everybody relax...this should be fun not another source of anxiety with bitter back biting.

May 17, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #267 of 2,859
I compared my HF-1 w/flats to an RS1 w/flats and preferred the HF1. Sounded much more open and natural to me. I wasn't expecting that though, but when I kept switching back and forth, I couldn't convince myself of liking the RS1 better... maybe my ears were tired I don't know

May 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #269 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly the kind of post that the ignorant and uninformed come along and read which results in ridiculous rumors being thrown around Head-Fi as if they are fact. The parts in bold are simply ludicrous.

Grado may have ordered too many PS1000 drivers and now they're going to give them away in a $429 headphone? LOL! Yeah...sure. Like Grado is hurting so bad financially that if they don't move those out the door they're in the predicament of going out of business. What a tremendously absurd joke speculation. Let's just put the same drivers we put in our $1700 headphone in to a $429 headphone. Possible, perhaps by definition, but not probable in the slightest.

Then you say GS-1000/PS-1000 driver instead of replacing the / with the word or, as if you've already determined that they use the same driver without even hearing the PS-1000 or getting confirmation from Grado Labs. Laughable at best.

Once again, the HF-2 will probably have much the same flavor of the GS-1000 and PS-1000 implying that the latter two sound anything alike when both Zanth and Sanderman have confirmed that they don't. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Then the best part of your post. "The driver used in the GS-1000, PS-1000 and HF-2 (presumably)". So now not only is the GS-1000 and PS-1000 driver the same but also that of the HF-2 as well, AND Grado is going to release an entirely new line based on it. Comedic gold.

I think the many hours you have spent listening to the DT48 are starting to affect your brain. Perhaps you should apply for a writing job with The Onion?

Jeez Subtle...maybe you need to spend a little less time on the computer and a bit more in Anger Management Class? I might also consider spending a more on therapy and a tad less on headphones...

Your previous post?
Not so Subtle.

May 17, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #270 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I compared my HF-1 w/flats to an RS1 w/flats and preferred the HF1. Sounded much more open and natural to me. I wasn't expecting that though, but when I kept switching back and forth, I couldn't convince myself of liking the RS1 better... maybe my ears were tired I don't know

funny...the hf1 and the rs1 are the two grados that i much prefer bowls over flats. i'm in a small minority that thinks this, but the flats bloat the bass on the rs1...and i found the same to be true of the hf1. regardless of the pads, the hf1 is, IMHO, nowhere near the level of the rs1. but, it's still a fantastic headphone...especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back