The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Apr 2, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #241 of 1,132
yesterday I received the GMP 3.85D studio headphone.

I was looking for a good decent headphone that fits my needs for electronic music (melodic minimal to hard quick slamming techno) and that produces enough volume, just powered by my laptop.

I am 100% satisfied. Really, after having worked with a Stanton before, It's like I am totally rediscovering my music collection. The snares and sounds like rainfall come through very detailed and clear. Goa-like sounds that are being pulled and squeezed from left to right sound amazingly great. Besides all bass, mid and high tones sounds very balanced. Nothing sounds overdone or disappears somehow in the background. So summarizing, I am absolutely very very happy with the sound quality.

Also the volume it can produce when only being powered with my laptop is great. I used to put everything to max.. and still i was not entirely feeling inside the music with my Stanton. Right now I can put everything to 50/60 percent volume and it's definetly hard enough! Total satisfaction also with this point.

Thirdly I am very happy with the fit around my ears. I suppose I have a big head with big ears since I am almost 2 metres tall. And there is enough space for them. Also it doesn't get too warm (just a little tiny sweaty) The pressure is excellent.

Some of you speak about the design and say that it sucks. really I don't care.. Actually I quite like the "oldskool" sort of industrial look. I just want excellent, comfortable audio.. and I have it now
biggrin.gif

Special thanks to Acix for forwarding me to this topic!

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #242 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by SidK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yesterday I received the GMP 3.85D studio headphone.

I was looking for a good decent headphone that fits my needs for electronic music (melodic minimal to hard quick slamming techno) and that produces enough volume, just powered by my laptop.

I am 100% satisfied. Really, after having worked with a Stanton before, It's like I am totally rediscovering my music collection. The snares and sounds like rainfall come through very detailed and clear. Goa-like sounds that are being pulled and squeezed from left to right sound amazingly great. Besides all bass, mid and high tones sounds very balanced. Nothing sounds overdone or disappears somehow in the background. So summarizing, I am absolutely very very happy with the sound quality.

Also the volume it can produce when only being powered with my laptop is great. I used to put everything to max.. and still i was not entirely feeling inside the music with my Stanton. Right now I can put everything to 50/60 percent volume and it's definetly hard enough! Total satisfaction also with this point.

Thirdly I am very happy with the fit around my ears. I suppose I have a big head with big ears since I am almost 2 metres tall. And there is enough space for them. Also it doesn't get too warm (just a little tiny sweaty) The pressure is excellent.

Some of you speak about the design and say that it sucks. really I don't care.. Actually I quite like the "oldskool" sort of industrial look. I just want excellent, comfortable audio.. and I have it now
biggrin.gif

Special thanks to Acix for forwarding me to this topic!

SidK, I'm glad you like them, and you're right they kick A** especially with electronic music when the bass monster come alive.
beerchug.gif

May 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #243 of 1,132
Hey Acix,
I finally got around to ordering a set of the GMP 8.35 D monitors. I just got them yesterday and have tried them out for a bit, but right off the bat I couldn't get a seal. The right pad sits at an awkward angle and I have to use my hands to push for a seal. Left pad seems to be fine though. Perhaps my head is too large, I have to fully extend the clamp on both sides and it still feels a bit short. I've tried everything and still no go, maybe manufacturing problem or maybe just not the cans for me? When I force the seal, they sound amazing though, I love the balance.

Any suggestions or advice? Has anyone else experienced this? I am considering getting different pads as some have mentioned, but I don't want to order those and still not have a solid seal. As a drummer, I absolutely must have reliable isolation to protect my hearing.

May 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #244 of 1,132
Loogs, I had this earpad problems with the GMP 8.300 D, which have the same build.
In the end I found that BeyerDynamic leather earpads gave the most room for my ears and therefore the best seal.
Problem is the earcups don't swivel.

May 18, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #245 of 1,132

Quote:
Hey Acix,
I finally got around to ordering a set of the GMP 8.35 D monitors. I just got them yesterday and have tried them out for a bit, but right off the bat I couldn't get a seal. The right pad sits at an awkward angle and I have to use my hands to push for a seal. Left pad seems to be fine though. Perhaps my head is too large, I have to fully extend the clamp on both sides and it still feels a bit short. I've tried everything and still no go, maybe manufacturing problem or maybe just not the cans for me? When I force the seal, they sound amazing though, I love the balance.

Any suggestions or advice? Has anyone else experienced this? I am considering getting different pads as some have mentioned, but I don't want to order those and still not have a solid seal. As a drummer, I absolutely must have reliable isolation to protect my hearing.

You can adjust the cups/cans by pulling them down, hold the headband and pull the cup, see the acordeon/spring stretch out.

May 19, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #246 of 1,132
Thanks for the reply Tiemen, I think replacement pads are definitely in order for better isolation

Quote:
You can adjust the cups/cans by pulling them down, hold the headband and pull the cup, see the acordeon/spring stretch out.

I have pulled the cups as far as they will extend and they still feel short, I can't get an even seal, at least with the stock ear pads. In the middle of this thread, you mentioned the 41-6050 replacement pads, which have a different build and are thicker. Do these provide a better seal? The contact between the pad and the head seems more prominent, unlike the stock pads which are more flat and seem to be more comfort-based vs. isolation purposes.

For years, I originally used the Direct Sound EX-29 Extreme Isolation cans, which have stock pads similar in material to the GM 41-6050 replacement pads. The isolation was truly amazing and provided an excellent amount of dB reduction with no leaks, but the cables were always weak with very poorly soldered connections, always needing constant repair.

May 19, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #247 of 1,132
 I have dealt and have personal experience with MBQ when they were still 100% German company. Maxxsonics' acquisition of MBQ (yes it was sad) gave birth to German Maestro. Here's just hoping that they are in now way in relations with Maxxsonics tho :)

Very nice cans indeed!!!

May 19, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #248 of 1,132

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Tiemen, I think replacement pads are definitely in order for better isolation

Quote:

I have pulled the cups as far as they will extend and they still feel short, I can't get an even seal, at least with the stock ear pads. In the middle of this thread, you mentioned the 41-6050 replacement pads, which have a different build and are thicker. Do these provide a better seal? The contact between the pad and the head seems more prominent, unlike the stock pads which are more flat and seem to be more comfort-based vs. isolation purposes.

For years, I originally used the Direct Sound EX-29 Extreme Isolation cans, which have stock pads similar in material to the GM 41-6050 replacement pads. The isolation was truly amazing and provided an excellent amount of dB reduction with no leaks, but the cables were always weak with very poorly soldered connections, always needing constant repair.

I also tried the 41-6050 oval earpads. They are rather undeep, so the grills covering the drivers were resting on my ears. Still no good seal. 

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #249 of 1,132

Quote:
I also tried the 41-6050 oval earpads. They are rather undeep, so the grills covering the drivers were resting on my ears. Still no good seal. 

You always can add some felt to go deeper and to have more space for your ears. About the seal, I thing this is one of the best isolation pads out there, those pads works like they have a vacuum filter on them.

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #250 of 1,132
Hi Acix and guys..

I am a bit of amateur in this.. and having been thoroughly impressed by unamped fully broken in HD 595 which I had to sell couple of years ago due to financial reasons.. plus all the praises in the forum for GMP 8.35 D.. and most important for me.. value.. I finally ordered one just now !!!

Had to share this... apologies if it serves no value to this thread and the forum...

Thanks.

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #252 of 1,132
How bigs are the 8.35ds? i'm gonna use them outside and i'm a little worried xD

Also, which one sounds better with rock/metal?

200 euro... but i think that i will go with a pair of GMP 435 S. Poor wallet :frowning2:

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #253 of 1,132

Hmmm... the size is really not the problem, or maybe it is if you got a really big head because the headband isen`t that long. The cable is the real problem for outdoor use because it`s really heavy, but maybe you can recable it. 
I think in terms of sq, you can really throw anything at them they sound good anyway.

BTW have anyone tryed this cans with j$ denon earpads. Is it possible and did it change the sound?

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #255 of 1,132

Quote:

Hmmm... the size is really not the problem, or maybe it is if you got a really big head because the headband isen`t that long. The cable is the real problem for outdoor use because it`s really heavy, but maybe you can recable it. 
I think in terms of sq, you can really throw anything at them they sound good anyway.

BTW have anyone tryed this cans with j$ denon earpads. Is it possible and did it change the sound?

Yes, I'm curios about the JMoney pads as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back