The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Aug 21, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #136 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I was not referring to how loud the headphones could play. I meant at loud listenable levels (and I occasionally listen at very loud volumes), I check for whether the high frequencies maintain their balance with the rest of the frequencies. And that's more of a check on the synergy of the whole rig and source media than just the headphones.

But I've found that amping tends to flesh out and boost the lower frequencies, which in turn tends to attenuate the higher frequencies (as compared to not amping). And I usually find that I prefer the effects of amping.

Take for example the RX900. Even after felt modding and at high volumes, its highs remained under control. That was from a XS71 sound card, no amp. Again, same was true for the JBL 410 Reference. I suspect the highs in these headphones are quite different than that of an MB Quart or the GMP 8.35.

Based on my experiences while here at Head-Fi and FWIR, the GMP 8.35 seems to be headphones that are more sensitive to synergy and preference than most. And, I don't suspect it would be to my liking with my usual equipment and source media: TV // internet radio + XS71 sound card // FM radio + Lo-Fi receiver.

Unless your amp's volume control incorporates the Fletcher-Munson curve, highs and lows will be more accentuated at loud levels and lows will fade off at low levels.

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #137 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless your amp's volume control incorporates the Fletcher-Munson curve, highs and lows will be more accentuated at loud levels and lows will fade off at low levels.

I've read about that before. No wonder I tend to gravitate toward headphones that are bass heavy with light highs like the RX900 and JBL 410 Reference. Fortunately, I've become fairly handy at modding headphones and customizing their sound signatures.

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #138 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received MB Quart QP 805 M POS today. It's the version used in listening booths, 300ohm. It should be equivalent to GMP 8.300 D. I wonder how they compare to the 35ohm model discussed here.
According to the Ebay seller they should be new, so burn-in will probably change the sound significantly. So far I notice somewhat strong bass, a little overbearing, recessed mids and clear, but smooth highs. The soundstage is rather small, but okay for closed headphones, instrument separation is very good.
Isolation is worse than I expected. Comfort is not stellar - the cups are not deep enough so my earlobes are touching the driver covers, but overall it's not so bad if you consider that they are closed phones with high clamping force and pleather pads.
Btw, the pads' inside is round, not oval like the GMP 8.35 original pads shown here.
I hope the bass will get more definition and the midrange will be brought slightly more forward with burn-in.

PS: It has the steel-shielded cable, I wonder if I can get it off somehow, it seems permanently fastened to the cups. I mean the steel part.
As I listen more, the soundstage is actually pretty good - not very big, but positioning is precise and 3 dimensional.

Share some traits with the 8.35D monitor. "So far I notice somewhat strong bass, a little overbearing, recessed mids and clear, but smooth highs. The soundstage is rather small, but okay for closed headphones, instrument separation is very good" a lot of that I could agree with. Instrument separation is not close to be as good on the Pro 900 or K701 but those are quite special in that department.

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #139 of 1,132
koshman, I think the MB Quart QP 805 M were the first ones to use the unbreakable type of cans. From my experience with the QP-250, they need 20-40 hours burn in. If you want to change the sound you can remove the felt from the drivers. Is there the plastic net as well as the felt?

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #140 of 1,132
Yes, they are the unbreakable model indeed
biggrin.gif

I had to stop burn-in for a while, because I finally got pissed with the steel shielding and cut it off, but in the process I had to also cut off the plug. Anyway I've just reterminated them 5 min ago so it's back on track now.
Acix, there is the plastic net held in place by the pads and under it is felt, but that doesn't cover the drivers - it is just a circle about 1 cm wide covering some holes. The driver itself is covered by perforated metal. Does the felt on the GMP 8.35 cover the drivers, too?

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #141 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Graham has accounted for this effect on his Voyager portable amp. IMO it is a very nice sounding unit, although it (the amp that is
wink.gif
) is not very pretty.

Aug 24, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #142 of 1,132
Just got my 8.35 D Monitors in the mail today. After spending about an hour getting acquainted with each other, I can safely say I'm very happy with this purchase. They sound amazing!

They sound great right out of the box amped by my E-MU 0404 USB. Apparently, iirc, these cans don't need any burn-in time but I'm curious to see if the sound changes at all after some time.

They are actually quite comfortable as well - the stock pads fit around my ears perfectly fine. My ears are getting hot in here though!

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #143 of 1,132
I haven´t detected any change in signature. Of course I know them better now after all my hours listening to them but I haven´t noticed any change in bass being tighter or anything you regularly get
smily_headphones1.gif

As for comfortable 3h in a stretch per day seem to be the limit for me. Then it really hurts when you take them off. I tend to forget all about it while listening to them!

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #144 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by _jon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my 8.35 D Monitors in the mail today. After spending about an hour getting acquainted with each other, I can safely say I'm very happy with this purchase. They sound amazing!

They sound great right out of the box amped by my E-MU 0404 USB. Apparently, iirc, these cans don't need any burn-in time but I'm curious to see if the sound changes at all after some time.

They are actually quite comfortable as well - the stock pads fit around my ears perfectly fine. My ears are getting hot in here though!

I'm glad you like them...
beerchug.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #145 of 1,132
Any ideas for a budget ~$200-250 tube amp I could pair up with the 8.35's to warm up the sound a little?

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #146 of 1,132
Maybe you should try a warmer source instead. I know you already have one but the 8.35D monitors aren´t that demanding on the amp department. Maybe a hybrid like the EF-2?

I had the EF-1 briefly. Not my favourite mushy bass and not the most detailed but I never did any tube rolling
smily_headphones1.gif
. Quite warm certainly.

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #147 of 1,132
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the EF2... I'm sorry wallet, I tried to be easy on you
biggrin.gif

I'll let you know how how the 8.35's sound with them as soon as I find out myself!

I'll also be testing using the EF2's onboard USB DAC vs. routing my E-MU 0404 USB's DAC into the EF2's headphone amp. Should make for an interesting comparison as from what I know, the EMU has a very decent DAC but somewhat lacks in the headamp department, while the EF2 has a great amp and somewhat lacks in the DAC department.

Although, If the EF2 ends up sounding better to my ears on both DAC/amp functionality, I'd probably still keep the E-MU for its recording capabilities.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #148 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by _jon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the EF2... I'm sorry wallet, I tried to be easy on you
biggrin.gif

I'll let you know how how the 8.35's sound with them as soon as I find out myself!

I'll also be testing using the EF2's onboard USB DAC vs. routing my E-MU 0404 USB's DAC into the EF2's headphone amp. Should make for an interesting comparison as from what I know, the EMU has a very decent DAC but somewhat lacks in the headamp department, while the EF2 has a great amp and somewhat lacks in the DAC department.

Although, If the EF2 ends up sounding better to my ears on both DAC/amp functionality, I'd probably still keep the E-MU for its recording capabilities.

Thanks for the recommendation!

The EF2 looks like a great usb tube amp. The only $200 tube amp that I can recommend you is the bottlehead battery tube. Bottlehead Shopping Cart

Here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/no...53/index3.html

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #149 of 1,132
I have about 35 hrs of burn-in on the MB Quart 805 M and I'm really starting to like them.
The bass is tamed now and the highs are definitely smoother although further burn-in will probably improve them even more. They seem balanced now, the bass is impactful, highs extended. They seem quite detailed and analytical (although I don't know how they compare to more expensive headphones in this regard). They don't sound like closed cans - the soundstage isn't big, but quite natural and they don't sound messy even on more complicated songs.

Btw, at about the same time as these headphones I also bought a pair of used Alessandro MS1. I know it's apples and oranges comparison, but I like the MBQ so much more than the Alessandros. I've never heard any Grado/Alessandro phones so was expecting the famed magic and the truth is the guitars and voices (anything in upper midrange mostly) sound nice and natural, but their midbass is toooo much for me and not very well defined plus the extension on bass is not great. But the worst is the severe highs roll-off. The overall sound signature is too warm for me and it can get pretty messy on complicated songs. Heh, to me the MBQ sound more like open headphones than the Alessandros - soundstage, positioning, instrument separation etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #150 of 1,132
Can I ask one of you guys who have experience with Ultrasones (oqvist's PRO900?) how their sound signature compares to the German Maestros? I saw mentions of big soundstage and that they don't sound like closed cans. I'm thinking about trying Ultrasones and would like these characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back