The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
May 6, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #1,052 of 1,132
I'm very close on pulling the trigger and ordering the 8.35. I'm just deciding whether I want to order it from a company within my country, or order direct from German Maestro.

What's the likelihood of getting a detachable cable mod done by German Maestro if I ask for it in the comments section when ordering? 

Would I have a higher chance of getting this mod done if I had the E-mail of the representative that some members on here have been talking about? I think his name is Thomas.

May 6, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,053 of 1,132
I ordered directly mine from german maestro in Germany. when you register with them and logging in before adding the headphones to the shopping basket, they are actually giving you certain percent discount because you are a member. The total price + shipping was around 250 or 255$ and that is exactly what you are going to pay from a local german maestro distributor in USA. I ordered directly because I wanted the mobile version with straight shorter 1.2 meters cable. For me the long coiled cable is not very practical and is heavy. No, they will refuse to do detachable cable mod and this will actually void your 3 year warranty. I already asked them for a friend. The good news is unless you intend to shoot at them with a ballistic missile this cable will NEVER, EVER going to break or give you any trouble. It is very extremely high cable and will withstand years of enormous abuse. Please, I beg you:)), pull the trigger. The clarity is out this world. And the balance is so great that you really can't tell if the mids, highs or the lows are better. You just dive in and think only about the music. The only headphones I will never trade or sell are the Maestro 8.35D and KEF M500.

May 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #1,054 of 1,132
  I ordered directly mine from german maestro in Germany. when you register with them and logging in before adding the headphones to the shopping basket, they are actually giving you certain percent discount because you are a member. The total price + shipping was around 250 or 255$ and that is exactly what you are going to pay from a local german maestro distributor in USA. I ordered directly because I wanted the mobile version with straight shorter 1.2 meters cable. For me the long coiled cable is not very practical and is heavy. No, they will refuse to do detachable cable mod and this will actually void your 3 year warranty. I already asked them for a friend. The good news is unless you intend to shoot at them with a ballistic missile this cable will NEVER, EVER going to break or give you any trouble. It is very extremely high cable and will withstand years of enormous abuse. Please, I beg you:)), pull the trigger. The clarity is out this world. And the balance is so great that you really can't tell if the mids, highs or the lows are better. You just dive in and think only about the music. The only headphones I will never trade or sell are the Maestro 8.35D and KEF M500.

I didn't realize you get a discount just for registering on their site. I think this is the first time I've seen this mentioned. Thanks for mentioning that! 

I actually E-mailed German Maestro the other day, and they confirmed what you said. They said that they did do mods in the past, but it's something they no longer do. I also got the impression that modding for a detachable cable is something that they never would have done at all, even back when they did cable mods.

The only thing I'm struggling with right now is to get the mobile version or the regular coiled version. The thing is I'd be using these for both studio and mobile use. 1.2 m is restrictive in my studio and the heavy coiled cable might be too much for mobile use. I really wish these had detachable cables and came with both cords.

I also wish there was thorough youtube reviews of these headphones. A video where someone had the coiled cable  version on their head while connected to a portable player and put the player in pants and jacket pockets so I could actually see how cumbersome the cable is. How they look on head straight on would be nice to see. As well as going into detail about fit, etc. 

May 7, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #1,055 of 1,132
Just received something that i ebay was listed at pb quart 805 and, as often happen with eBay, doesn't necessary relate to what they sell there. In this case it seems the headphone is a GM, rather than PB, taken off some record store as the badge has been replaced.
Do you have any idea if these are genuine GM 8.300

8cce3433d483b24ff5dd2d45db6b379a.jpg

b504db43195cb21737d9f6a2fcff72dd.jpg

84194729d1c19168b1cca301ef37eb11.jpg

34fd1f29fec0cb769e00ed844e719abe.jpg

56f1b04d1aed4ad7d9d08bff2b18e65b.jpg

Thanks

May 7, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,057 of 1,132
May 7, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,058 of 1,132
Thanks Tiemen,

what is making you state this with certainty? Honestly the sound doesn't seem impressive to  me. Quite boomie on the midbass and lacking extension to the hf. 

I looked back at an old post in this thread and they seem very similar to the ones reportedf as GM 8.40 by NuBreed.

Cheers.

May 7, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,059 of 1,132

what is making you state this with certainty? Honestly the sound doesn't seem impressive to  me. Quite boomie on the midbass and lacking extension to the hf. 

I looked back at an old post in this thread and they seem very similar to the ones reportedf as GM 8.40 by NuBreed.

Cheers.

GM doesn't have boomie midbass. Perhaps it is not genuine pair, but might be wrong
Most likely, headphones was affected by smth

May 7, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,060 of 1,132
  Thanks Tiemen,

Cheers.

No, not certainty. But the Pro 8000 series seems to target a different market than the 8.300.
"The 8.000 PRO Headphone Series is perfect for applications where many people are using the product, like Point of Sale (POS) info stands, music stations in electronic stores, public institutions like museums, schools, and many more."

For the 8.300, see http://www.german-maestro-shop.de/epages/61902279.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61902279/Products/%22GMP%208.300%20D%20Professional%22
and for the overview:
http://www.german-maestro-shop.de/epages/61902279.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61902279/Categories/Kopfh%C3%B6rer
"Particularly well suited for recording and for other professional applications."

You have all the right for filing a claim. You don't even know what the impedance is.

May 8, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #1,061 of 1,132

No, not certainty. But the Pro 8000 series seems to target a different market than the 8.300.
"The 8.000 PRO Headphone Series is perfect for applications where many people are using the product, like Point of Sale (POS) info stands, music stations in electronic stores, public institutions like museums, schools, and many more."

For the 8.300, see http://www.german-maestro-shop.de/epages/61902279.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61902279/Products/%22GMP%208.300%20D%20Professional%22
and for the overview:
http://www.german-maestro-shop.de/epages/61902279.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61902279/Categories/Kopfh%C3%B6rer
"Particularly well suited for recording and for other professional applications."

You have all the right for filing a claim. You don't even know what the impedance is.

Impedance should wave around 40ohm as the dc resistance is 45 ohm. So, yes, alas definitley not qp805.
Overall they are ridiculously good for the money I spent but they get honky sometime with certain mid bass frequencies transients and the hf extension seems limited. Raising HF with the EQ improves things but they get a bit harsh. For the mid bass congestion maybe some internal dumping may do good. I still have a lot of material from my orthos hacking and may try but not sure if it makes sense. If the cheapest model of the line has such good overall quality I can't now stop myself to find out what the 8.300 can do.

May 10, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #1,062 of 1,132

I didn't realize you get a discount just for registering on their site. I think this is the first time I've seen this mentioned. Thanks for mentioning that! 

I actually E-mailed German Maestro the other day, and they confirmed what you said. They said that they did do mods in the past, but it's something they no longer do. I also got the impression that modding for a detachable cable is something that they never would have done at all, even back when they did cable mods.

The only thing I'm struggling with right now is to get the mobile version or the regular coiled version. The thing is I'd be using these for both studio and mobile use. 1.2 m is restrictive in my studio and the heavy coiled cable might be too much for mobile use. I really wish these had detachable cables and came with both cords.

I also wish there was thorough youtube reviews of these headphones. A video where someone had the coiled cable  version on their head while connected to a portable player and put the player in pants and jacket pockets so I could actually see how cumbersome the cable is. How they look on head straight on would be nice to see. As well as going into detail about fit, etc. 

yavormoskov , how do you get the discount in the GM online shop? I tried to follow the purchase all the way until the confirmation but cant' see any discount applied.

Update: Never mind. I've got the last 8.300 on Amazon shipped at less than the price of the hp alone in GM. Time to sell most a few of my headphones now... 

Thanks.

May 11, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,063 of 1,132
A little report about mods of my 8.40. 
I did my standard ortho mod, lining with bluetack the inside of the cups, then adding a layer of pure wool felt and the filling the inside of the cups with raw wool. Then I removed the cloth in front of the drivers completely, off it went the ugly shower cable sleeve and now these are really great cans. Didn't expect that. 

May 12, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #1,064 of 1,132
I just put in my order for the 8.35 D this morning! I'm really excited to get them. I'm holding off on getting different pads until I can give the stock ones a go and see how I like them first. Wish me luck on hopefully being satisfied and ending my headphone search for at least another couple years!

May 14, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,065 of 1,132
Mmh.. Was me that guy thinking no amp can sound good weighting less than 25kg and no speakers smaller than the size of a fridge can cheat physics? So it couldn't possibly me spending most of the night listening music with a GM 8.300 plugged to a Samsung Alpha... I couldn't even find the will to do the usual break in with pink noise and simply waited until, after a couple of hrs, they started to come to life.

Hard to tell this HP is from this planet. I owned an LCD2 in the past and the 8.300 makes it look like a wannabe. Still need to check how it scales up but somebody needs first to stop me changing flacs.

Have had a few pricey dynamic and ortho HPs in the past and always resold them as they invariably had some unacceptable compromise for the cost (either lacking balance, ringing HF, to which I am very sensible, or uncontroled enough LF)  but the 8.300 is closer to my Stax rig more than anything I have tried so far and it is way more practical than a Stax. The look is more Bauhaus than Brutalist and I like it, but I would leave with this HP even if was the shape of a frog. Also for the first time I feel the need to don't change anything; even the plug is so well done an bullet proof than I am in trouble, as I don't want to change it for another one fitting my phone case's hole (I think portable HP deigners should start thinking about this limit).

Need to get rid of all my orthos and other dyamic HPs now and buy another 8.300 for the office before GM realise they can sell this for 5 times what it costs. And maybe build a new tube amp for thes jewels.

Not tried the 8.35 yet but if it even so slightly changes the balance respect the 8.300 i don't feel any need for it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back