The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Nov 20, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #976 of 1,132
  I also still recommend Brainwavz HM5 pads for anyone not content with the original pads. I cannot say whether they are more or less neutral than the original pads because they're so comfy I don't want to get my ears out of them, but I love how my cans sound, so. ^_^
Not to be confused with the Thick memory foam HM5 pads. I don't know how those are supposed to work with the HM5, but they make my GMs sound way too thin. Nothing like the signature you get with any other pads I tried (including velour DT 770 pads).
And, yes, velour pads soften the bass impact so you may try some of those too, weissglut.

The HM5 pads have arrived and first thing I can say is: they are more comfortable than the original pads because they are real over the ear pads and they are quite soft. Also they look great 
biggrin.gif
 So far the price is really great, too.
The sound IMHO is still V-shaped. A strong, but not boomy bass. I had to add the foam dust protection, which I had lying around somewhere (http://www.german-maestro-shop.de/epages/61902279.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61902279/Products/%22Staubschutz%2018-6090%22). Without it there is a really annoying sibiliance in the highs.
The over all clarity of the Beyer T70p is not reached, but that does not matter for me. I'll keep this cool phones 
cool.gif

EDIT: The HM5 pads have a tight fit, but actually it works great.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #977 of 1,132
  The HM5 pads have arrived and first thing I can say is: they are more comfortable than the original pads because they are real over the ear pads and they are quite soft. Also they look great 
biggrin.gif
 So far the price is really great, too.
The sound IMHO is still V-shaped. A strong, but not boomy bass. I had to add the foam dust protection, which I had lying around somewhere (http://www.german-maestro-shop.de/epages/61902279.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61902279/Products/%22Staubschutz%2018-6090%22). Without it there is a really annoying sibiliance in the highs.
The over all clarity of the Beyer T70p is not reached, but that does not matter for me. I'll keep this cool phones 
cool.gif

EDIT: The HM5 pads have a tight fit, but actually it works great.

Looking great!
I use the dust shield for that exact same reason, I find them a little to bright without it.
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #979 of 1,132
I use the tissue paper mod to alleviate the brightness. Seems to work :)
I used the tissue paper mod before I changed the cable over to tiny xlr. I didn't put it back on after the mod and have not had a problem with brightness since.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #980 of 1,132
I used the tissue paper mod before I changed the cable over to tiny xlr. I didn't put it back on after the mod and have not had a problem with brightness since.

I changed my cable to Brainwavs mini-jack but that didn't seem to help me with brightness. Even though my Audioengine D3 is supposed* to be kinda warmish, I prefer to be on the safe side as I don't like harsh treble. Anyway, with tissue paper, the treble sounds natural to me, so I must be doing something right 
atsmile.gif

But, yeah, it's not that the mod is a must for everyone.
___
* I don't have a whole lot of quality gear to compare it to

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #981 of 1,132
  I changed my cable to Brainwavs mini-jack but that didn't seem to help me with brightness. Even though my Audioengine D3 is supposed* to be kinda warmish, I prefer to be on the safe side as I don't like harsh treble. Anyway, with tissue paper, the treble sounds natural to me, so I must be doing something right 
atsmile.gif

But, yeah, it's not that the mod is a must for everyone.
___
* I don't have a whole lot of quality gear to compare it to

Sorry, I should been a little more clear in my comment (was on mobile at the time) as to the sound change. The cable had absolutely nothing to do with it, I just never put the tissue back on after the mod and the thick HM5 pads arrived. I am not of the school that believes in a cable changing the sound of the headphones. It might do that for some people, but does not for me. I just wanted a nice removable cable for my 8.300 D's.

I have also been breifly playing with the EQ section of the latest beta X3 firmware and have probably cranked down the treble in it for use with the Brainwavz S5's which are like daggers to my ears and I dislike a sharp treble as well.

I will put the tissue back on and see what happens since it was used before the mod.
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #982 of 1,132

Sorry, I should been a little more clear in my comment (was on mobile at the time) as to the sound change. The cable had absolutely nothing to do with it, I just never put the tissue back on after the mod and the thick HM5 pads arrived. I am not of the school that believes in a cable changing the sound of the headphones. It might do that for some people, but does not for me. I just wanted a nice removable cable for my 8.300 D's.

I have also been breifly playing with the EQ section of the latest beta X3 firmware and have probably cranked down the treble in it for use with the Brainwavz S5's which are like daggers to my ears and I dislike a sharp treble as well.

I will put the tissue back on and see what happens since it was used before the mod.
beerchug.gif

Oh, I got you about the cable. 
beerchug.gif

Well, I should say I haven't tried taking off my tissue for a long time now, but back when I put it on the effect seemed profound enough for me.
As to EQing, I guess if I'd play with some EQ long enough I could get better results than with tissue paper, but I use my 8.35s as my main headphones for everything and lately I've had to deal with lots of badly encoded videos and those sounded particularly harsh so I thought I'd rather fix it at the headphones level.
After a while I started using a video muxer and de-esser anyway, but the tissue paper is still there 
L3000.gif

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #986 of 1,132

Are you sure? Cause 8.35 Emma & 8.35D are not identical

Positive. I auditioned both and there was no sonic difference I could detect and the construction/cable/pads all appeared identical. I asked the dealer (UK's main dealer of GM so know their stuff) and they advised that any differences were cosmetic in nature (red accents). I opted for the non-JFB as I prefer the minimalist look 
smily_headphones1.gif

This is consistent with GM's website were the product description and tech specs for both 8.35D and 8.35D JFB are the same.

http://www.german-maestro.de/US/jfb835d.htm
http://www.german-maestro.de/US/gmp835dmonitor.htm

The following review gives the story about how the JFB's came into existence in case you're interested: http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/germanmaestro-gmp-835d-jfb.html

Have to say that I hadn't heard of the 8.35 Emma before you mentioned it but you've piqued my curiosity! Can I ask how do they differ from the 8.35D?

Thanks.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #987 of 1,132
  Have to say that I hadn't heard of the 8.35 Emma before you mentioned it but you've piqued my curiosity! Can I ask how do they differ from the 8.35D?

Thanks.

There are certain things that I do remember.
8.35 Emma sounds "brighter" but not too much compared to 8.35D which has rather "dark" sound signature. Emma doesn't have that annoying midbass hump, and I guess thats why the sound feels cleaner.

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #989 of 1,132
  There are certain things that I do remember.
8.35 Emma sounds "brighter" but not too much compared to 8.35D which has rather "dark" sound signature. Emma doesn't have that annoying midbass hump, and I guess thats why the sound feels cleaner.

My cans say "Emma" on the left cup and "8.35D" on the right. Haven't figured which is brighter yet. Back to listening 
atsmile.gif

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #990 of 1,132
  thanks for info.

is beyer 990 or 770 is better than this? i could cancel my order.

That's not a problem.

Sorry I can't really help with regards the headphones you're considering. I haven't had a chance to listen to either of the Beyers I'm afraid.

-------

Re. the 'Emma' 8.35D.

The name intrigued me so I decided to send an e-mail off to German Maestro to ask how the various 8.35Ds ('regular', JFB & EMMA) differed, if at all, cosmetic differences aside. Here's the response I got:

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for your email and you loyalty in our brand.

All the headphone variation you are named acoustical identical. They are just differ in some optical design components.

Hope I could answer your question

Kind Regards
Thomas

Thomas Philipp
Manager Professional Products

Looks like they are the same (appearance aside) so presumably any difference in sound may be down to other factors e.g. source, burn-in (if you believe in it) etc. etc.

The name Emma, or EMMA to be more correct, is a sadly far less romantic than I'd hoped. It seems to be some kind of an industry group (car audio?) that German Maestro are part of so presumably the branding is just a PR exercise and nothing more: http://www.german-maestro.de/US/emma.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back