The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Oct 29, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #962 of 1,132
  Maybe 
biggrin.gif
 They are great, sturdy, actually unbreakable headphones "made in Germany". But after I got used to my Beyerdynamic T70p I feel the GMP 8.35D have slightly to much bass for me. So I'm looking for an alternative set of closed cans. But maybe I should first try some alternatives before selling the GMPs? 
confused.gif

wink.gif

I dont know the T20p yet, but the oval pads with the dust net driver cover will bring a great flat sound out of the 8.35.

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #963 of 1,132

I dont know the T20p yet, but the oval pads with the dust net driver cover will bring a great flat sound out of the 8.35.

I also still recommend Brainwavz HM5 pads for anyone not content with the original pads. I cannot say whether they are more or less neutral than the original pads because they're so comfy I don't want to get my ears out of them, but I love how my cans sound, so. ^_^
Not to be confused with the Thick memory foam HM5 pads. I don't know how those are supposed to work with the HM5, but they make my GMs sound way too thin. Nothing like the signature you get with any other pads I tried (including velour DT 770 pads).
And, yes, velour pads soften the bass impact so you may try some of those too, weissglut.

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #964 of 1,132
  I also still recommend Brainwavz HM5 pads for anyone not content with the original pads. I cannot say whether they are more or less neutral than the original pads because they're so comfy I don't want to get my ears out of them, but I love how my cans sound, so. ^_^
Not to be confused with the Thick memory foam HM5 pads. I don't know how those are supposed to work with the HM5, but they make my GMs sound way too thin. Nothing like the signature you get with any other pads I tried (including velour DT 770 pads).
And, yes, velour pads soften the bass impact so you may try some of those too, weissglut.

Those HM5 pads works also wonders with the GMP 8.300D.

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #965 of 1,132
  Hmm, as for me, new series from Beyerdynamic have artificial high frequencies which lead to unnatural sound of cymbals

That's true. The T70p has an emphasis on high frequencies. 
But IMHO it's not that dramatic. It's sometimes about 1-2 db to much. But I'm actually someone who does not like dull sounding phones. The GMP 8.35D is not dull either.
The T70p also has an extended and well controlled bass. I never have the feeling that something does not sound like it should. The only problem is, that it is really linear. For a headphone that sometimes is a bit less than wanted.
Overall I'd say the T70p is a leagie above the GMP 8.35D, but looking at the price this is not really a surprise.

I guess you are talking about these pads: http://www.german-maestro-shop.de/epages/61902279.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61902279/Products/%22Ohrpolster%2041-6050%22
The oval "plastic" pads with perforated back.
To be honest: I don't like the sound with these pads at all. IIRC it was horrible mid tuned, just like a smartphone speaker 
biggrin.gif
 Also with these cheap plastic skin I'm swaeting really fast.

I also still recommend Brainwavz HM5 pads for anyone not content with the original pads. I cannot say whether they are more or less neutral than the original pads because they're so comfy I don't want to get my ears out of them, but I love how my cans sound, so. ^_^
Not to be confused with the Thick memory foam HM5 pads. I don't know how those are supposed to work with the HM5, but they make my GMs sound way too thin. Nothing like the signature you get with any other pads I tried (including velour DT 770 pads).

These HM5 pleather pads look interesting. The most important question for me: do they really fit on the GMP 8.35D?
IMHO the best sound out of the GMP 8.35D was with some genuine leather pads from Beyerdynamic. A bit less bass compared to the original pads and also a much better fit on the head. I just don't like the small room for the ears in the original pads (but that seems to be a common problem on nowadays over-ear headphone models). But these Beyerdynamic pads just did not fit very well. They are loose and somtimes fall of by themselves.

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #966 of 1,132
  These HM5 pleather pads look interesting. The most important question for me: do they really fit on the GMP 8.35D?
IMHO the best sound out of the GMP 8.35D was with some genuine leather pads from Beyerdynamic. A bit less bass compared to the original pads and also a much better fit on the head. I just don't like the small room for the ears in the original pads (but that seems to be a common problem on nowadays over-ear headphone models). But these Beyerdynamic pads just did not fit very well. They are loose and somtimes fall of by themselves.

I'm not even sure they're not genuine leather. Even if they're not, it's a different kind of pleather than the original pads. It's really soft. The whole pad is very soft. The downside of which is, if you bend the headband, your sound may change when the pressure on the cups changes. On the upside, those are the most comfortable, accommodating pads I've tried.
I have huge ears myself. With the stock pads, my ears just weren't inside. With the oval GM pads they were, but there was still some unwanted pressure. With the HM5 pads I catch myself putting my headphones on even when I'm not listening to anything :)
And yes, they stay on the cups. They sit very tight. Even though the pads are oval, like the HM5 themselves, I've had no problems with the fit. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #970 of 1,132
  I guess you are talking about these pads: http://www.german-maestro-shop.de/epages/61902279.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61902279/Products/%22Ohrpolster%2041-6050%22
The oval "plastic" pads with perforated back.
To be honest: I don't like the sound with these pads at all. IIRC it was horrible mid tuned, just like a smartphone speaker 
biggrin.gif
 Also with these cheap plastic skin I'm swaeting really fast.

The first time a balanced sound is shocking! You'll need some time to get used to it, but it's not mandatory!~
basshead.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #971 of 1,132

The first time a balanced sound is shocking! You'll need some time to get used to it, but it's not mandatory!~
basshead.gif

I don't think it was balanced sound at all, but YMMV 
wink.gif

I'd call my T70p a balanced headphone (linear bass and midrange) but with an emphasis on the highs: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT70p.pdf

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #974 of 1,132

Do the thick and the regular HM5 pads differ in sound?

Since the pads are thicker they will cause the drivers to sit a little further from your ears which will lessen the bass a bit, but not as much as the new HM5 velours do.
It's about the comfort for me, the regular HM5 pads are very comfortable but the new ones are that much more. I just hit +2 bass EQ on the X3 and I am good to go.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #975 of 1,132
  I don't think it was balanced sound at all, but YMMV 
wink.gif

I'd call my T70p a balanced headphone (linear bass and midrange) but with an emphasis on the highs: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT70p.pdf

My reference to a balanced sound hps are the AKG-240DF, Pioneer monitor 10 and the DT48S. Even the GMP 250/240 I'll consider them be balanced hps. The highend balanced hps will be for me the Stax 4070, and the Sony Qualia 010.

If hps have any FR emphasis I'm not sure you can call them balanced, but this is only my 2 cents. 
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back