The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Apr 21, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #901 of 1,132

Also I think, bass response has some mid hump with stock pads. My friend tried gmp 8.35 with MA9 and his conclusion was that there is no significant improvement in SQ O_o
Maybe, recabling can do much better.

No improvement over what? I bought Audioengine D3 just recently and improvement over my ThinkPad soundcard with the GMs is pretty much enormous.

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #902 of 1,132
I was tempted to do a dual mini XLR on my 8.35D, who knows maybe I will in the future. As they have the perfect flat piece of plastic on both sides of the cups, for mounting mini XLR's

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #903 of 1,132
  I was tempted to do a dual mini XLR on my 8.35D, who knows maybe I will in the future. As they have the perfect flat piece of plastic on both sides of the cups, for mounting mini XLR's

As someone who did 1/8 '' mono jacks on my Maestros I assure you they're not perfectly flat but rather slightly convex.

Apr 23, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #905 of 1,132
All these talk about GMP 8.35D, my lovely monitors are waiting for their new owner lol
biggrin.gif

Now that I sent my ciems for remolding I am using GMP again, damn these cans are bright, really bright. Maybe I got used to SE5way's airy relaxed treble (not rolled off or dark) now GMP is so fatiguing with its sparkling treble. It gives me headache at some point if I listen to treble heavy music.

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #907 of 1,132
  The 8.35D's with stock pads are not bright at all- if anything slightly on the dark side.  You must be using different pads?

They had the stock/default pads when I put them on. I am still using them since my ciems are not available. I am getting used to the sound a bit but still it gives me headache and I find it very bright. It is not that it is sibilant but it becomes fatiguing.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #908 of 1,132

They had the stock/default pads when I put them on. I am still using them since my ciems are not available. I am getting used to the sound a bit but still it gives me headache and I find it very bright. It is not that it is sibilant but it becomes fatiguing.

Good thing I've read some head-fi and bought Audioendine D3 instead of supposedly fatiguing Dragonfly v1.2 :)
I still use the tissue mod though, cause I use my GMs for everything and badly engineered and/or encoded videos can be quite sibilant with them.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #909 of 1,132
  Good thing I've read some head-fi and bought Audioendine D3 instead of supposedly fatiguing Dragonfly v1.2 :)
I still use the tissue mod though, cause I use my GMs for everything and badly engineered and/or encoded videos can be quite sibilant with them.

Well mine is for sale for a long time, it is just I am using them while I am waiting for my SE5way
biggrin.gif
My sound preferences change too, I am not that analytical/flat-ish sound lover anymore. GMP sounds a bit cold and thin for my tastes now.

But d*** it, let's admit, it is probably one of the best values in the headphone world. For 160 euros, it brings experience like higher class (say around 350 400 euros cans).

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #910 of 1,132
Use a tube amp and happy listening (xDuoo TA-02 with Mullard 5654 tubes is a perfect match)

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #911 of 1,132

Well mine is for sale for a long time, it is just I am using them while I am waiting for my SE5way
biggrin.gif
My sound preferences change too, I am not that analytical/flat-ish sound lover anymore. GMP sounds a bit cold and thin for my tastes now.

But d*** it, let's admit, it is probably one of the best values in the headphone world. For 160 euros, it brings experience like higher class (say around 350 400 euros cans).

I still think they can be very fun with the right source. Obviously, I've heard less gear than most of the head-fiers but I love how my GMPs pair with the Audioengine D3, wich is pretty airy and well-separating but neither to thin, nor too bright.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #912 of 1,132
Yeah I agree with both comments but when you have Spiral Ear SE5way, the other cans don't really get any head time. Otherwise I like them, my first audiophile purchase and they were a very good company to me. It is just, now I have something better and as a student, I rather not to keep many cans but sell the ones I don't use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back