The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Aug 5, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #76 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
8.35D is the new model last I talked with Thomas??? Is there a new model after that one that have this pads?

Only the pads are the newer model then the stock pads.
smile.gif
Now, I just become more curious about the 435 S.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #77 of 1,132
How much did you pay for the new pads then if I happen to like them
smily_headphones1.gif

435s I missed. Would be interesting to see how it stacks up to the 400.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #78 of 1,132
Quote:

How much did you pay for the new pads then if I happen to like them
smily_headphones1.gif

435s I missed. Would be interesting to see how it stacks up to the 400.

The oval shaped ear pad, (soft-foil black part number 41-6050) that I tested is a demo pad. GM plans to start selling them soon, under Accessories, as soon they update the new site: GermanMAESTRO Shop - SERIOUS ABOUT AUDIO

Soon there will be a review for other pads, too and the loan program was approved, so we'll get that going as soon as possible.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #79 of 1,132
Speedy impressions. I got them today and I won´t be able to listen to them all weekend
frown.gif
. I really don´t have listen to them now have someone waiting but what they have to wait!

8.35D monitor. single ended cable great. However the phono cable requires you put your amp next to you or it will push the left ear cup from you.

GMP 400/450 fix the cable problem but instead dual ended they kind of strangle you. I suppose you get used to it after a while but I try to avoid as much distractions as possible for my headphones.

Trying some electronical music (Madonna, accoustics Nils Lofgren accoustics live, Diana Krall it´s clear that this is surely great pair of headphones. Haven´t found anythign they do wrong yet. The GMP 450 is the most neutral of them the 400/8.35D have more bass. No problems hearing the bass guitar pick the strings and such wonder if the DX 1000 is beaten in this regard...

I know I will for sure keep at least one pair of these. You can hear they are from the same familyAcix is right they sound natural even if somehow closed in. But well most if not all headphones do. There is surely no S-logic in effect In fact I find I already forgotten about the cable

As for isolation it´s superb on the 8.35D monitor but the 450 doesn´t seem to isolate much... There is no clamping force at all on those. They are very much like the K701 for example in term of clamping force. However they are so light so they stick to your head quite well anyway.

Gonna run now. Definiatly going to order some of the replacement pads these headphones are worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #81 of 1,132
The 450S have the same earpads as the 8.35D... Pretty strange earpads I am not sure exactly how you are supposed to wear them exactly. Seems like you can use the GMP 400 pads on them. Similar attachment as for beyers if someone wonder.
edit: the 8.35D monitor and these small leather pads doesn´t work with longer stints. Just to much clamping force in combination with the on ear pressure rather then circum ear pressure.

GMP 400 have bigger rounder pads so they are 100 % circumaural. The size of the old Proline 750 or something so just enough to snag your ears in.

The telephone cable on the 8.35D monitor bugs me a lot though. You must have your phono connection max half a metre away. Maybe you can loosen it up by stretching continuously though?

Gonna wait for final judgements but it seems like it shares many of the HD 650 traits. smooth, not prone to sibilance whatsoever. Running the infamous R.E.M automatic for the people for example it´s hardly portraying sibilance at all in any of the GMPs. Yet I don´t feel like I am loosing that much detail otherwise as from the HD 650. I don´t own that anymore but it doesn´t sound quite as dark from my memory. Or my preferences have changed
smily_headphones1.gif
. Laid back, surely nothing that gets your head bumping. Relaxed headphones that feels a bit slow but have it´s own nice rhytm. Like waggle you to sleep. They truly never upset you anyway except for the soundstage not being up to par with the K701 or Pro 900 for example also on the 400. Seem to lack some in term of bass extension. The GMPs are so similar you may excuse me for lumping them together.

I got one issue though. The phono connector on the GMP 450S fell in part in two... It still works and is easy to reattach. The other too do fit together so just some bad part I suppose.

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #82 of 1,132
Quote:

The 450S have the same earpads as the 8.35D... Pretty strange earpads I am not sure exactly how you are supposed to wear them exactly. Seems like you can use the GMP 400 pads on them. Similar attachment as for beyers if someone wonder.
edit: the 8.35D monitor and these small leather pads doesn´t work with longer stints. Just to much clamping force in combination with the on ear pressure rather then circum ear pressure.

GMP 400 have bigger rounder pads so they are 100 % circumaural. The size of the old Proline 750 or something so just enough to snag your ears in.

The telephone cable on the 8.35D monitor bugs me a lot though. You must have your phono connection max half a metre away. Maybe you can loosen it up by stretching continuously though?

Gonna wait for final judgments but it seems like it shares many of the HD 650 traits. smooth, not prone to sibilance whatsoever. Running the infamous R.E.M automatic for the people for example it´s hardly portraying sibilance at all in any of the GMPs. Yet I don´t feel like I am loosing that much detail otherwise as from the HD 650. I don´t own that anymore but it doesn´t sound quite as dark from my memory. Or my preferences have changed
smily_headphones1.gif
. Laid back, surely nothing that gets your head bumping. Relaxed headphones that feels a bit slow but have it´s own nice rhytm. Like waggle you to sleep. They truly never upset you anyway except for the soundstage not being up to par with the K701 or Pro 900 for example also on the 400. Seem to lack some in term of bass extension. The GMPs are so similar you may excuse me for lumping them together.

I got one issue though. The phono connector on the GMP 450S fell in part in two... It still works and is easy to reattach. The other too do fit together so just some bad part I suppose.

For me, my ears just rest perfectly within the pads. The new pads are even better, they're much larger and the material makes the sound more punchy, so it's really fun. I hope you'll get the new pads too; just having two options really opens up the possibilities with your headphones. But I do like the stock pads, they make the sound really intimate and they're really comfortable pads. They have some of the best insulation I've heard.

I'm not crazy about the cable, myself. It's a bit stiff for me, but let's take into consideration that if I take them outside of my studio to perform, they'll probably be the most durable cable out there.

Today I had a chance to listen to the 650 with a fancy tube setup. The 8.35 sounded better, as well as the K 702. I don't really consider the 650 as a candidate to compare with these.

I'd be happy to hear more of your impression of the 400 and the 435 S. They really intrigue me.

By the way, the new pads really increase the sound stage, as well. Very surprising discovery. Reminds me of the Ultrasone.
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #83 of 1,132
Well I have dumbo ears so it´s not even close for me to fit the ears inside those.
I don´t have the 435S but the 450S.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #84 of 1,132
Quote:

Well I have dumbo ears so it´s not even close for me to fit the ears inside those.
I don´t have the 435S but the 450S.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, If they share the same pads, so neither of them will fit you. In this case you will need the newer pads.

You probably have the 450Pro 300 ohm.

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #85 of 1,132
450 Pro perhaps it was. Yes 300 ohm but lower setting on my amp???

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #86 of 1,132
Quote:

450 Pro perhaps it was. Yes 300 ohm but lower setting on my amp???

Does the 300 ohm sound to you like the 35 ohm? About settings try them both.

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #87 of 1,132
They are all very similar yes. Gonna need much more listening to really figure out what the differences is more than in the bass volume
smily_headphones1.gif
. 450 Pro is as mentioned more neutral than the 400 but they all have the same tone. Soundstage is not all that different too.

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #88 of 1,132
Aug 10, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #89 of 1,132
I had a chance to let people listen to the 8.35 D at the NorCal 8/8/09 meet. The members seemed to be really impressed with them. My first question was, "What do you like about the sound". Most of the answers were the same, "Well controlled." Here is a great photo, thanks to Iron Dreamer.

3804641857_4efbba9dab_o.jpg

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #90 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oqvist, just curious, what do you think of this review?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/com...-quart-404143/

I think that was an excellent review. Agree with most. But as always translate cold and analytical with fairly neutral and well balanced. 400 are warm and nice but it´s not neutral. And the 450 Pro are certainly not that harsh on my system anyway. A bit more natural than the 400 that gives you a bit less detail and smooth the sound out more but far from being harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back