The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Oct 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #526 of 1,132
Quote:

R-Audiohead, I remember you had the KRK 8400 in high consideration, I'm going to read up on your KRK descriptions, I think you found this one to be relatively neutral.

I owned the KRK for a short while.

I thought ergonomically it was a very nice headphone.  It was closer to neutral than a lot of other closed headphones in the price range and isolated at an acceptable level.

If you've read my notes on the KRK... there's no need to repeat myself haha.  I did like that headphone... much more than the 940, probably not quite as much as the (twice as expensive) Z1000

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #527 of 1,132
I also own those oval earpads and I can see how they could turn the 8.35D into a more balanced headphone, as I've read in some places that this headphone has a roll-off in the upper treble and is a bit dark with the stock pads. I could always try them if I get the 8.35D.

But my issue with the ovals, forgive me if I'm starting to sound a bit to critical, is that they don't provide as smooth response in the upper mids and treble as the stock ones (8.35D and GMP 450 Pro have the same stock earpads), so if the headphone already has a peak or slight unevenness in the uppermids or lower treble with the stock pads the ovals will pronounce it further... that's my experience.

I agree, though, that the ovals provide a more open, clean and tighter sound.
The ovals also improve upper treble extension perception, I think....

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #528 of 1,132
Quote:
I also own those oval earpads and I can see how they could turn the 8.35D into a more balanced headphone, as I've read in some places that this headphone has a roll-off in the upper treble and is a bit dark with the stock pads. I could always try them if I get the 8.35D.

But my issue with the ovals, forgive me if I'm starting to sound a bit to critical, is that they don't provide as smooth response in the upper mids and treble as the stock ones (8.35D and GMP 450 Pro have the same stock earpads), so if the headphone already has a peak or slight unevenness in the uppermids or lower treble with the stock pads the ovals will pronounce it further... that's my experience.

I agree, though, that the ovals provide a more open, clean and tighter sound.
The ovals also improve upper treble extension perception, I think....

And kinda kill the low mid/bass... IME :wink: I own the cloth ovals.. forgot the exact model number.  I tried them on both the SP-1 and QP805

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #529 of 1,132
Quote:
I've heard a number of headphone setups and A LOT of external setups.

The PRaT is actually really good, the soundstaging isn't much worse than any other headphone, and for a closed headphone I actually think it does okay, and the detail is my favorite part about my SP-1.

I disagree, respectfully, on all accounts with that review.

That is really good to hear. german maestro seems to be an underdog amongst the bigger headphone brands. 
And they usually don't get the most excellent reviews. Even though stuff like the senns hd25-1 get 5 out of 5 stars, talk about overrated....

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #530 of 1,132
Yes the ovals do deemphasize the lower mids compared to the stocks yet remain linear down there... again, I can see how this would turn the 8.35D into a more balanced headphone as I've seen it described  as having a slightly forward lower mid.

For those who like slightly forward mids the ovals certainly won't be the fittest. :wink:

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #531 of 1,132
Hi, folks! Just wanted to say hi and thank you. If not for this thread I probably wouldn't buy them without listening, and given they're not the most comfortable for my ears and head (especially with the stock pads) if I went to a brick and mortar I might end with something like DT 770. But now that I bought the GMs, I'm totally glad I did. Not that I didn't like my Sony 7506 (if my wife wouldn't hijack them I might not look for the new cans any time soon), but GMs are better in almost every aspect. More resolution, more nobility and definitely more fun.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #532 of 1,132
Quote:
EDIT: I replaced the double layer of cotton with very thin tissue paper. This only affects the highs, and let's the mids shine like they should.
The single layer of thin paper is definitely an improvement over nothing. And slightly better than the double cotton mod.

Do you mean something like rice paper? Or something soft like a slice of paper tissue? I've tried something thin but very airtight just yet and the mids defitinely sound muffled.
I wonder if the foam dust protection has any impact on the sound. Do you use it at all?

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #533 of 1,132
Quote:
Congratulations, for how much did you bought them?

Been away from the forum for a few weeks so I thought I'd share my impressions of the v900/7509 (non-HD) which I got used on ebay. Been listening to them almost daily since getting them, and they've given me almost everything I hoped for and more. They're a major upgrade over the v-6 for a portable, imo....besting them in almost all areas. I wanted a good portable without spending a lot of money, so for a bit over $60 used, I got way more than my money's worth. I was hoping for a closed version of the hd580, and I have to say, the v900 isn't a closed hd600/580. It's not as refined for sure, but I really didn't expect it to be, considering the price differential and the fact it's closed. However the detail retrieval is VERY good and the treble, while not very refined, is about the exact level that I like....a bit more than the hd580, but less than the 240DF, which was giving me sibilance problems. The mids sound very smooth and natural...with maybe a little dip in the upper mids, making them very non-fatiguing and flattering with vocals. The biggest flaw is a pretty big bump in the low end, but I wasn't looking for perfection in a portable phone, especially considering my budget. But most of my listening is focused on the mids and the detail and clarity is really impressive. They totally kill the v6, imo. I honestly could listen to them all day without fatigue and without feeling I'm missing a lot compared to my higher priced phones. Perhaps one day I'll get a good deal on a second hand GMP. I'm very interested in those after following this thread, but until that day, I'm more than happy with the v900 as a closed portable. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #534 of 1,132
Quote:
Do you mean something like rice paper? Or something soft like a slice of paper tissue? I've tried something thin but very airtight just yet and the mids defitinely sound muffled.
I wonder if the foam dust protection has any impact on the sound. Do you use it at all?

1.Get a tissue with multiple layers.
2. Peel off one layer.
3. Check if layer is see through.
4.???
5.Tape the thin piece of paper in front of the driver and place foam on top, and reinstall the ear-pad, carefully.
6.Profit

In all seriousness, the paper should not be airtight, and it should be pretty much see-through. And yes anything thicker will make the sound very muffled. If you've done it correctly the sound will not get muffled one bit.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #535 of 1,132
Quote:
Hi, folks! Just wanted to say hi and thank you. If not for this thread I probably wouldn't buy them without listening, and given they're not the most comfortable for my ears and head (especially with the stock pads) if I went to a brick and mortar I might end with something like DT 770. But now that I bought the GMs, I'm totally glad I did. Not that I didn't like my Sony 7506 (if my wife wouldn't hijack them I might not look for the new cans any time soon), but GMs are better in almost every aspect. More resolution, more nobility and definitely more fun.

Agreed, and the GMPs are not as bright and peaky whatsoever. Very neutral to my ears.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #536 of 1,132
I just finished recabling the gmp 8.35D, I just a mogami cable, it has 4 conductors and a sleeve/ground. 

The cable is 1.25m long, and it has a big *** jack neutrik plug.

I have to say, it is incredibly liberating, the headphone is much more comfortable now that it's nog lagging on side due to the added weight of the coil.

The sound is still just, mouthwatering. I'm not sure if the sound changed much though.

Just one unpractical thing, the neutrik plug is actually bigger than my DAP! And that's without the jack to mini-jack converter.... So I might put on a jack - mini jack converter that has a wire between the female jack and male mini jack. Or I'll attach the stock plug to the cable with the screw on jack plug, it's nice too, and much more practical.

But yeah, this is a big improvement guys. I'll post pics tomorrow!

EDIT: It seems there's more bass now, might be imaging things. Or the background noise in the train is eliminating the bass frequencies more than I thought.
But yeah, the new cable gives the headphone a tad fuller sound. Might just be a placebo though. Thicker cable = thicker sound, something like that.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #537 of 1,132
Quote:
I just finished recabling the gmp 8.35D, I just a mogami cable, it has 4 conductors and a sleeve/ground. 

The cable is 1.25m long, and it has a big *** jack neutrik plug.

I have to say, it is incredibly liberating, the headphone is much more comfortable now that it's nog lagging on side due to the added weight of the coil.

The sound is still just, mouthwatering. I'm not sure if the sound changed much though.

Just one unpractical thing, the neutrik plug is actually bigger than my DAP! And that's without the jack to mini-jack converter.... So I might put on a jack - mini jack converter that has a wire between the female jack and male mini jack. Or I'll attach the stock plug to the cable with the screw on jack plug, it's nice too, and much more practical.

But yeah, this is a big improvement guys. I'll post pics tomorrow!

EDIT: It seems there's more bass now, might be imaging things. Or the background noise in the train is eliminating the bass frequencies more than I thought.
But yeah, the new cable gives the headphone a tad fuller sound. Might just be a placebo though. Thicker cable = thicker sound, something like that.

This was my experience with the Mogami as well, more body and a better sound separation. I like the 8.35 cable, especial @ my DJ gigs, those hps serve me well. Photos will be great.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #538 of 1,132
Quote:

This was my experience with the Mogami as well, more body and a better sound separation. I like the 8.35 cable, especial @ my DJ gigs, those hps serve me well. Photos will be great.

I can imagine the stock cable coming in handy during dj gigs. It's also incredibly strong, I seriously could not cut it with a normal scissors. Had to do it with some really sharp scissors instead.

Seriously, this headphone just doubled it's worth for me!

A bit of duck-tape to hold the cables in place while i insert the foam and driver!

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #539 of 1,132
Quote:
1.Get a tissue with multiple layers.
2. Peel off one layer.
3. Check if layer is see through.
4.???
5.Tape the thin piece of paper in front of the driver and place foam on top, and reinstall the ear-pad, carefully.
6.Profit

In all seriousness, the paper should not be airtight, and it should be pretty much see-through. And yes anything thicker will make the sound very muffled. If you've done it correctly the sound will not get muffled one bit.

Done. Wow. The refined highs from the stock pads are back. Not as dull and dark as my second experience, which was a bit of cloth, yet no sibilance of unmodded oval pads. I don't have a lot of experience with quality gear and the best source I've ever had is a humble Cowon D2+ (rockboxed and patched for added voltage) so I wasn't sure I'd be able to hear the difference, but now it's obvious that the worst thing about sibilance (for me) is not even the harshness but a lack of timbre. The highs just didn't sound like real thing before your mod. So yeah, thanks a ton!

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #540 of 1,132
Quote:
Done. Wow. The refined highs from the stock pads are back. Not as dull and dark as my second experience, which was a bit of cloth, yet no sibilance of unmodded oval pads. I don't have a lot of experience with quality gear and the best source I've ever had is a humble Cowon D2+ (rockboxed and patched for added voltage) so I wasn't sure I'd be able to hear the difference, but now it's obvious that the worst thing about sibilance (for me) is not even the harshness but a lack of timbre. The highs just didn't sound like real thing before your mod. So yeah, thanks a ton!

It's probably the cheapest, and best mod available for this headphone! I actually think they're less sibilant now than with the stock pads.
Maybe it just seems less sibilant because the entire treble range is boosted, and not just 6khz region, which causes the sibilance.
And these headphones improve greatly when attached to a better source/amp. I use the fiio e7-e9 combo. Best thing is, you can get this combo under 200 dollars easily but it sounds really really good.

Glad I could help!

Now do the cable mod! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back