The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Oct 21, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #196 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really need to try the 8.3000. But been on a PC binge buying the BOK/Mother MK2.. Snake oil. blah.. And spending money on my new hobby..Forearm/hand strength.. Weights can get expensive. Still need to tear a phone book in half..(half way serious)Or at least a deck of cards(totally serious).....Torn between two hobbies.. One hurts my wallet.. The other just burns my wrist to hell raiser type pain.

This is the good life
biggrin.gif
you have money spend it.
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #197 of 1,132
Quote:

I really need to try the 8.3000. But been on a PC binge buying the BOK/Mother MK2.. Snake oil. blah.. And spending money on my new hobby..Forearm/hand strength.. Weights can get expensive. Still need to tear a phone book in half..(half way serious)Or at least a deck of cards(totally serious).....Torn between two hobbies.. One hurts my wallet.. The other just burns my wrist to hell raiser type pain.

DIY can get you a really good forearm exerciser. Buy a 2 inch diameter dowel, drill a hole in it. Thread a 4 foot rope though the hole, tie a weight to the other end and wind and unwind while holding it at shoulder height.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #198 of 1,132
Quote:

If you haven't discovered them yet, you simply must check out ironmind.com.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #199 of 1,132
I bent the bottoms of the earcups outward so that they don't press on my jaw so much, and added some padding to the headband. Now they are way more comfortable. Add this to the excellent sound, and the 8.300ds are now my favorite headphones of all time.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #200 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bent the bottoms of the earcups outward so that they don't press on my jaw so much, and added some padding to the headband. Now they are way more comfortable. Add this to the excellent sound, and the 8.300ds are now my favorite headphones of all time.

Some photos will help to see the additional padding.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #201 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some photos will help to see the additional padding.
smily_headphones1.gif

It feels good, but it is a long way from pretty!
tongue.gif

Turns out that bending the bottoms of the cups out came at a price. There is now less bass than before. I doubt that I can re-tighten them, though.

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #204 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that I have spent some time with my 8.300ds, I am convinced that they are quite simply the best headphones I have ever heard, period. Certainly not the most comfortable, though (or even the most isolating, for that matter.)

These are the best I have heard also. Very deep bass and more accurate bass than my DT990's. Wonderful midrange and crystal clear highs make these the best I've heard. The 8.30d's are super detailed and the music engulfs me more than any other headphone. It feels as if the music is all around me. These do everything right and feel very comfortable to me. I wonder if people who hear these first would spend $1600 on HD880's.

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #205 of 1,132
You mean HD 800? I think most people expect that one to be better with the pricing, build material etc and all.

Curious how they differ to the 8.35D monitors? Do the 8.300 have a wider soundstage for example. I really like the 8.35Ds except for their closed signature. Bass goes deeper I suspect from your description on the 8.300?

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #207 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean HD 800? I think most people expect that one to be better with the pricing, build material etc and all.

Curious how they differ to the 8.35D monitors? Do the 8.300 have a wider soundstage for example. I really like the 8.35Ds except for their closed signature. Bass goes deeper I suspect from your description on the 8.300?

Thanks for the correction. Yes, I meant HD 800. I have never heard 8.35's so I cannot comment. The 8.30d's have a wider soundstage than modified
HD580's but not K701, DT880 or DT990. They are similar but better in soundstage than SA5000's in the sense that you loose yourself in the music and whatever lack of air or space is more than compensated for by the quality of the sound. That's what I mean by the music is all around me. It's easier to loose myself in the music with these than any others I've tried. In other words I listen to the music more and not the headphones. However I do use a line power condtioner and this helps the expansion of the sound.
After my post earlier I found the GMP400 300 ohm on sale at Amazon for $260 and ordered them. I will compare the two and return one of them. The GMP400's list for $100 more than the 8.30's and are open headphones.

Nov 15, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #208 of 1,132
Does anyone had the possibility to compare the 8.35 to the Shure SRH840?

Br
Lasse

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #209 of 1,132
Hello, I'm pretty new here, but as a drummer and music in general I'm looking for a set of good closed headphones. While I have no doubt that these phones are great monitors, I was wondering if they will do for general listening as well? And if so, are they intersting beyond electronica (I'm more rock and metal inclined)?

Personally I'd rather have a single set of headphones, so I'm looking for a good allrounder, maybe somebody can help me out with their opinions?

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #210 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I'm pretty new here, but as a drummer and music in general I'm looking for a set of good closed headphones. While I have no doubt that these phones are great monitors, I was wondering if they will do for general listening as well? And if so, are they intersting beyond electronica (I'm more rock and metal inclined)?

Personally I'd rather have a single set of headphones, so I'm looking for a good allrounder, maybe somebody can help me out with their opinions?

Yep, they are great for drum sessions, and you save the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back