The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #1,561 of 2,251
Dare I make a small digression here and ask if you or anyone else knows of anywhere at all where discussion follows Crinacle's basic dismissal of the Vsonic VS7, which the audio world *appears* to all intents and purposes to have taken as gospel?

I am intensely curious about this as my own experience with TFZ #3 has been a strange one, and I find myself listening to it hardly at all, for everything save for the delicious bass response sounds well, too 'dirty' or 'thick' for me (am still unable to explain what official meaning the use of "thick" is supposed to have audio-wise..) and I find myself listening almost exclusively to the very latest iteration of the GR07, which is really the only truly satisfying IEM I have. But still I remain madly curious about TFZ product!

But my question, as I say, is just that. Does anyone know of such a discussion? Everyday I look at the ads for VS7 and fully imagine it taking me even further into aural delight than what I presently have. And then, I remember CRINACLE.

With apologies for my small diVersion into matters Vsonic...

I believe there is a thread for the newer range of VSonic IEMs including the VS7, that'd be the best place to look I guess.

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #1,562 of 2,251
I have 3 different TFZ sets (Series 2, T2 Galaxy, No. 3) and all of them seem to have that boost throughout the mids to lower treble range, which can be a blessing or a curse, depending on your preferences, or in some cases the material you're listening to. If you like very intimate, detailed presentation of vocals, snare hits, horns, etc., it really does the job.

It comes at the expense of a smaller perceived stage in terms of width, and in some exceptional cases with tracks that are particularly busy in that range, it can become overpowering. I was listening to a track this week on the No 3 that had built to a mass of backing female vocals, violins, horns, synths, several electric guitars, and it all just kind of turned into an overwhelming white-out blur. Listening to the same track on the BL03, it all held together very well. Just to point it out again though, I think that song was a particularly exceptional case of this phenomenon.

In general all of my TFZs are very good for when it comes to clarity, depth of sound stage, bass, and layering.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1834#post-15254612

Yeah I was discussing the TFZ No. 3 vs CNT 1 in this above post.
I'm a basshead and I feel TFZ No. 3 has greater subbass extension and quantity, but CNT1 is no slouch in the bass department. I honestly think the TFZ No. 3 is still better in technicalities and is a more refined version of the CNT1, but the upgrades are marginal. I don't think it is worth the extra 100 bucks for these small improvements if u already are a CNT1 owner, YMMV.
The 8kHz peak of the TFZ No. 3 is the one pushing me more to the CNT1, cause I have a lot of brass instruments in my music listening, and these can be occasionally painful at this frequency.

Basically, I agree with this fully, No. 3 is pretty great, and when the source material lines up properly with the No 3's strengths it's astonishingly good, but with the CNT-1 or BL03 I can enjoy them without worrying about that upper mid boost.

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,563 of 2,251
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #1,564 of 2,251
Basically, I agree with this fully, No. 3 is pretty great, and when the source material lines up properly with the No 3's strengths it's astonishingly good, but with the CNT-1 or BL03 I can enjoy them without worrying about that upper mid boost.

I wish I can try out the CNT-1 but seems like the local store here didn't have it. The only way is to buy them from aliexpress...

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #1,565 of 2,251
I wish I can try out the CNT-1 but seems like the local store here didn't have it. The only way is to buy them from aliexpress...

Just a month or two ago, the CNT1 was being cleared by the aliexpress sellers at $35 USD.
Ebay, penon audio and amazon still sells the CNT1. But since the CNT1 is no longer in production, unfortunately these sellers have jacked up the price of the remaining stock back to its original $95 USD and beyond.

IMHO, if u can get a CNT1 at <$50 USD, it is worth a try. But at the ~$95 USD range there are better IEMs out there for the same price.

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #1,566 of 2,251
Just a month or two ago, the CNT1 was being cleared by the aliexpress sellers at $35 USD.
eBay, penon audio and amazon still sells the CNT1. But since the CNT1 is no longer in production, unfortunately, these sellers have jacked up the price of the remaining stock back to its original $95 USD and beyond.

IMHO, if u can get a CNT1 at <$50 USD, it is worth a try. But at the ~$95 USD range there are better IEMs out there for the same price.

Yeah, I think it's good for now since I have the No. 3 already and also, after reading your review, I see that they were almost equal in terms of their character. So yeah

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #1,567 of 2,251
Ebay, penon audio and amazon still sells the CNT1. But since the CNT1 is no longer in production, unfortunately these sellers have jacked up the price of the remaining stock back to its original $95 USD and beyond.

Linsoul, via either their Amazon U.S. or their own website, $49.99 USD
https://www.linsoul.com/products/semkarch?_pos=1&_sid=4d1760f1a&_ss=r

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #1,568 of 2,251
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #1,569 of 2,251
Linsoul, via either their Amazon U.S. or their own website, $49.99 USD
https://www.linsoul.com/products/semkarch?_pos=1&_sid=4d1760f1a&_ss=r
Dude... You have no idea how horrible my self control becomes when someone tells me I can have a flavor of the Month Chifi IEM for the lowest price from Amazon with prime shipping. Knowing I can have something here in 2 days just murders my self control...

If I hadn't just checked my tracking to know I literally have 3 pairs arriving Monday from Ali, they'd definitely be on the way right now. And still might be...

Oct 19, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,570 of 2,251
Dude... You have no idea how horrible my self control becomes when someone tells me I can have a flavor of the Month Chifi IEM for the lowest price from Amazon with prime shipping. Knowing I can have something here in 2 days just murders my self control...

If I hadn't just checked my tracking to know I literally have 3 pairs arriving Monday from Ali, they'd definitely be on the way right now. And still might be...

Damn bruh, we have something in common xD

Oct 19, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #1,571 of 2,251

LOL and 11/11 is not even here yet. Better watch your wallet!!!

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #1,572 of 2,251
Oct 19, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #1,573 of 2,251
Dare I make a small digression here and ask if you or anyone else knows of anywhere at all where discussion follows Crinacle's basic dismissal of the Vsonic VS7, which the audio world *appears* to all intents and purposes to have taken as gospel?

I am intensely curious about this as my own experience with TFZ #3 has been a strange one, and I find myself listening to it hardly at all, for everything save for the delicious bass response sounds well, too 'dirty' or 'thick' for me (am still unable to explain what official meaning the use of "thick" is supposed to have audio-wise..) and I find myself listening almost exclusively to the very latest iteration of the GR07, which is really the only truly satisfying IEM I have. But still I remain madly curious about TFZ product!

But my question, as I say, is just that. Does anyone know of such a discussion? Everyday I look at the ads for VS7 and fully imagine it taking me even further into aural delight than what I presently have. And then, I remember CRINACLE.

With apologies for my small diVersion into matters Vsonic...
Have you listened to king pro? it will be usefull comparison between the two!

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #1,575 of 2,251
Have you listened to king pro? it will be usefull comparison between the two!
Heh. Nobody seems willing to say what they really think of Crinacle's VS7 conclusions ?

Now as for the King Pro, that's remained a bit beyond my current budgeting, so no, I have no idea how it would usefully compare... As a matter of fact, I've found myself contemplating instead a pretty good deal on the ever harder to find Exclusive 5, an IEM I have always been curious about...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back