The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,216 of 2,251
I finally ordered the plated version. It seems you like,e the sound signature of the TFZ better than the ZS10 PRO. I have the TFZ T2 Galaxy and it’s deffinately a considerable step up from the KZ/CCA stuff. T2 Galaxy might have been a safer place for you to start. They’re $39 on Amazon through **** for the Purple color.
I'm conflicted because the cable isn't really good and that the materials on the ZS10Pro is better (aluminum and zinc faceplate) I ordered a new cable so I can test them both with the same gear . And for fairness I ordered the same cable I use on the ZS10Pro 16 core gold jcally cable. Honestly right now I still prefer the ZS10Pro but after burning in for 10 hours or so the tfz might have improved a bit but I will burn them in for 50 hours and then see. I actually ordered the no.3 because I heard so many good things about it.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #1,217 of 2,251
Hey there folks. I want to buy №3 and I have a few questions. I use trn v80 as my daily driver, I also have BGVP DMG, but I don't like them - bass is too airy and boomy and it makes my head hurt after some time. My ideal sound sig is something like this: tactile sub-bass, recessed vocals and bright highs. I listen to modern rock mostly (Linkin Park, System of a Down). Do you think №3 would fit my taste? Can anyone compare it to models mentioned above? Any help and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #1,218 of 2,251
Hey there folks. I want to buy №3 and I have a few questions. I use trn v80 as my daily driver, I also have BGVP DMG, but I don't like them - bass is too airy and boomy and it makes my head hurt after some time. My ideal sound sig is something like this: tactile sub-bass, recessed vocals and bright highs. I listen to modern rock mostly (Linkin Park, System of a Down). Do you think №3 would fit my taste? Can anyone compare it to models mentioned above? Any help and opinions are greatly appreciated.

I don't have the V80 or DMG, but for me the TFZ No. 3 has superb sub bass and mid bass, with negligible midbass bleed/flabbiness. The male vocals are slightly recessed, but female vocals slightly forward. The highs IMHO are not bright at all in the TFZ No. 3 compared to more V shaped IEMs like the KZs. In fact, there is a bit of higher frequency treble roll off for the No. 3. I don't listen to rock, but I have a feeling the No. 3 is not the best option for the rock genre as its sound signature is quite laid back and warm/dark; more suitable for jazz or acoustic type of songs. YMMV.

Jul 17, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #1,219 of 2,251
So i just got the tfz balance 7 in the mail today, right now playing it on balance output through the hiby r6pro, they are not power hungry (as the p1 per se) but they are really picky about the source, truly reveling, soundstage is MASSIVE, bass has a lot of presence and is super dry (what you would expect from a planar driver) i had to pull down by -3db 500k, they are super mid centric, and i like more of a V sound, burn in will definitely affect this guys, they hate tubes and have a nice balanced signature, really enjoyable

Update: after a night of burn in, tip rolling and going balanced in the Sony, I can just say: this guys are lit! Instrument separation is outstanding, imaging is superb and that bass... @audio123 you were right brother

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #1,220 of 2,251
So i just got the tfz balance 7 in the mail today, right now playing it on balance output through the hiby r6pro, they are not power hungry (as the p1 per se) but they are really picky about the source, truly reveling, soundstage is MASSIVE, bass has a lot of presence and is super dry (what you would expect from a planar driver) i had to pull down by -3db 500k, they are super mid centric, and i like more of a V sound, burn in will definitely affect this guys, they hate tubes and have a nice balanced signature, really enjoyable

Nice first impression, having it playing on public for me is a bad move, however, I might leaning towards the TinAudio P1 for playing outside and i gotta audition both tfz balance 7 and thieaudio phantom HP for playing at home....

Jul 17, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #1,221 of 2,251
Which one do you prefer out of your no.3 ti and kxxs?

Jul 17, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #1,222 of 2,251

I have the TRN V80 and TFZ No.3. The No 3 is more efficient and sounds louder. Bass is stronger and has more clarity on the No.3. Mids are not recessed on the No.3. The tuning on the No.3 is more forward and more impactful. To me the No.3s sound better in every respect than the v80s, but if you don't like forward mids they may be too in your face for your taste. Whether by design or luck the No.3 transparents are a really good IEM, but they are cetainly not laid back compared to the V80. The V80 is fairly V shaped, but the No.3 mildly U shaped to me.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,223 of 2,251
Ok after Bruning in my 2019 my love edition for about 25 hours I can say that it is better than the ZS10Pro in almost every way. Here is a little comparison between the two.

Bass: much more bass, might be bad on songs that should not have powerful bass because it adds it. But I like it.

Mids: both male and female vocals are very clear and crisp but female vocals especially are super clear and in your face.

Highs: they have gotten more clear and brighter after burn in, more detailed and clearer than zs10 pro.

Soundstage :bit bigger, not much

Instrument separation : less chaotic and more separate.

In conclusion I would use the My Love edition instead of zs10 pro as my daily driver right now (until my no.3 comes maybe) but for you guys I would say it is not worth to spend almost double the price for the My Love edition and just buy the ZS10Pro, especially if you are gonna use it for your smartphone. Exceptions are the lg phones with quad dac as they can power the My Love Edition great. (I have the LG g7)

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #1,224 of 2,251
Ok after Bruning in my 2019 my love edition for about 25 hours I can say that it is better than the ZS10Pro in almost every way. Here is a little comparison between the two.

Bass: much more bass, might be bad on songs that should not have powerful bass because it adds it. But I like it.

Mids: both male and female vocals are very clear and crisp but female vocals especially are super clear and in your face.

Highs: they have gotten more clear and brighter after burn in, more detailed and clearer than zs10 pro.

Soundstage :bit bigger, not much

Instrument separation : less chaotic and more separate.

In conclusion I would use the My Love edition instead of zs10 pro as my daily driver right now (until my no.3 comes maybe) but for you guys I would say it is not worth to spend almost double the price for the My Love edition and just buy the ZS10Pro, especially if you are gonna use it for your smartphone. Exceptions are the lg phones with quad dac as they can power the My Love Edition great. (I have the LG g7)

Would u say the bass on the my love 2019 edition is basshead level?

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #1,226 of 2,251
Jul 17, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #1,227 of 2,251
No, I would not. The bass is around zs10 pros level

The TFZ no. 3 bass is better in quality and quantity than the ZS10 pro when i compared them. Tighter and better tonality than the ZS10 Pro IMHO. Then I'm sure you will enjoy your No. 3 when it comes, especially for the bass.

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #1,228 of 2,251

Update: after a night of burn in, tip rolling and going balanced in the Sony, I can just say: this guys are lit! Instrument separation is outstanding, imaging is superb and that bass... @audio123 you were right brother
Glad to see you enjoying the Balance 7. It is an excellent planar. Cheers! :)

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #1,229 of 2,251
The TFZ no. 3 bass is better in quality and quantity than the ZS10 pro when i compared them. Tighter and better tonality than the ZS10 Pro IMHO. Then I'm sure you will enjoy your No. 3 when it comes, especially for the bass.
Oh yes I do, I was not really impressed with the 2019 my love out of the box ( they got better with burn in and i am still burning in them) but the No.3 was impressive right out of the box. It is as you say the Bass on the No.3 is on a different level than the Zs10 Pro ( but still not overpowering like the ZS7). the No.3 will probably be my daily driver (gonna burn in both no.3 and 2019 my love and then see but right now the No.3 is the clear winner and anyone looking at those two should just go with the No.3) and I will try to not buy any new iems for a while ( I will probably buy the next KZ, im addicted to chifi like hell).

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #1,230 of 2,251
After reading about all these CHIFI heavy hitters, I picked up a pair of No3s and a set of KXXS. I currently use the Final e5000 daily when I’m in private as they leak way too much for public/office use. The No3 is definitely less power hungry...which is another plus. I use the Dragonfly Cobalt out of my Pixel 3/iPad Pro/MacBook Pro and the combo is almost too powerful w/ the No3s. They are so loud. LOL. Anyway, it’s only been a day and the KXXS should arrive this weekend. Time for a battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back