The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,097 of 2,251
How does anyone think the TFZ no. 3 (and/or no. 3 Ti) compares to the Fiio FHV 5? Happy for any and all impressions. Cheers!

TFZ No.3 transparent. Can't compare with the FH5, but as you asked for all impressions.....big sounding with average soundstage. Good bass that opens up after a couple of days. Mids exceptional for rock, general vocals. Highs good but moderate sparkle. Big upgrade on my Tin T3. Personally I really like these.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #1,098 of 2,251
TFZ No.3 transparent. Can't compare with FH5 the, but as you asked for all impressions.....big sounding with average soundstage. Good bass that opens up after a couple of days. Mids exceptional for rock, general vocals. Highs good but moderate sparkle. Big upgrade on my Tin T3. Personally I really like these.
Guess it falls to me.then to ask how one should go about understanding "big sounding" but with "average soundstage"? Lord only knows this IEM evaluation business is hard enough without multiplying contradictions hand over fist? I exaggerate of course, but chaps come on, can we take a little more care not to confuse before we counsel?

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #1,099 of 2,251
Fair comment. Definitely not wide soundstage but sound clearly has more natural impact than, for me, T3. Hope others add to this picture. We are trying to help at even small levels.

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,101 of 2,251
You're gonna hate me for this, but.now you're gonna hafta explain "natural impact".. As you say, every little bit helps..

Sorry if you don't get it. I tried for you but perhaps you are a little dissatisfied at a deeper level. I hope those that have this IEM TFZ No.3 concur. I am trying to help someone who asked a question. There are plenty of others who have done full reviews and they can be easily found so check them out. Hope those who get the TFZ No.3 enjoy it.

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #1,102 of 2,251
I just got this IEM (TFZ no.3) in the house. I've been listening for about half an hour ... these are one the lightest, best fitting (for me) IEMs I've ever put in my ears. They wow'd me at first listen. I have to listen longer for more subtle impressions, but the first thing I thought of was like the moondrop kanas pro but with a bit more on each end. More, but not as subtle. I think there's room for both in a collection.

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #1,103 of 2,251
TFZ No.3 transparent. Can't compare with the FH5, but as you asked for all impressions.....big sounding with average soundstage. Good bass that opens up after a couple of days. Mids exceptional for rock, general vocals. Highs good but moderate sparkle. Big upgrade on my Tin T3. Personally I really like these.
I appreciate your impressions, thanks. The reason I ask is that I was thinking of buying the Fiio FHV5 but then read a few folks, like BGGA, who have the No. 3 rated very highly indeed. They are less expensive that the FHV 5, but also harder to return. As such, I'm hoping someone in here could compare the two for me.

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #1,105 of 2,251
I appreciate your impressions, thanks. The reason I ask is that I was thinking of buying the Fiio FHV5 but then read a few folks, like BGGA, who have the No. 3 rated very highly indeed. They are less expensive that the FHV 5, but also harder to return. As such, I'm hoping someone in here could compare the two for me.

The no.3 gets worthy praise. I just got a set and am so impressed with the fit, comfort and enjoyable sound they produce.

I used to have fh5 and I really enjoyed them. Both sets are great to just simply enjoy music. The only issue with the fh5 was the fit. If you're buying some now go for the black ones with longer nozzles.
But the no.3 transparent is a gem at the asking price.

Jun 30, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #1,107 of 2,251
The no.3 gets worthy praise. I just got a set and am so impressed with the fit, comfort and enjoyable sound they produce.

I used to have fh5 and I really enjoyed them. Both sets are great to just simply enjoy music. The only issue with the fh5 was the fit. If you're buying some now go for the black ones with longer nozzles.
But the no.3 transparent is a gem at the asking price.
Thanks very much. That's useful advice. How would you say the two compare/contrast sound-wise? Broad strokes are fine here. Cheers!

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #1,108 of 2,251
How does anyone think the TFZ no. 3 (and/or no. 3 Ti) compares to the Fiio FHV 5? Happy for any and all impressions. Cheers!

For me FH5 is better by quite a bit in every area. Better bass with more quantity and tactile feel. Warmer, more pleasant and cleaner voices. More natural and better defined sounding cymbals. Overall, a cleaner sound, more musical and enjoyable. Soundstage is more precise and larger. Responds better to EQ. Not to mention the build quality which is leaps and bounds ahead. No 3 is no slouch, I like it a lot , but sometimes I find it a bit too clinical, dry and cold and little tiring over long periods, I prefer FH5 for music enjoyment. .

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #1,109 of 2,251
The TFZ No.3 is very easy to drive. To drive them from my FiiO M9 volume 46 out of 120 is easily loud enough. It's even easier to drive with a balanced cable. My Samsung Galaxy S9 plus with Exynos chip drives them easily. I say this because it is hard to volume match with most other IEMs.This means it is easy to listen to the No3s at higher volumes and this gives them a seemingly big forward sound. Regarding the No.3s soundstage it's worth checking out Ornette Coleman's Tears Inside, for Jazz lovers, and compare with various other IEMs to get a feel for where it stands comparatively. I think that is where the No3s maybe sacrifices a little. A mobile phone friendly IEM though.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #1,110 of 2,251
Thanks very much. That's useful advice. How would you say the two compare/contrast sound-wise? Broad strokes are fine here. Cheers!

Like others have said, the fh5 are more capable due to the drivers. The no.3 I do find very easy going and enjoyable. Wouldn't say they are clinical. But definitely lose a little details in the highs in a busy piece of music
I find the low end detail pretty decent
I could never get the original fh5 to seal really well for long. Would always work lose after a few minutes
The new black version should help there so personally would love to try those as I did enjoy the sound on the fh5.
No issues driving either easily
I now have bgvp dm6 instead of fh5 for the fit alone. And the no.3 will be my daily earphones due to the cheaper cost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back