The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #1,081 of 2,251
Do a search on Amazon for **** cable, they do a big selection and all their 2 pin are 0.78mm, and you can select 2.5 balanced on most as well. The ****’s are decently made and good quality for the price. I have one myself.

Actually you are right. I have a **** MMCX 2.5 cable and it is good value and sounds good. My only problem is what type of .78 two pin they have are as there are different fittings. Do the standard Yinyoos fit the TFZ No.3?

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,082 of 2,251
Actually you are right. I have a **** MMCX 2.5 cable and it is good value and sounds good. My only problem is what type of .78 two pin they have are as there are different fittings. Do the standard Yinyoos fit the TFZ No.3?
I’m afraid that I could not be sure of, as I do not own the TFZ’s. I can confirm that they fit my ES Velvets perfectly though, and having looked at pics of the No.3’s they do not appear to have hugely recessed sockets, so I am going to guess that they should be fine.
But do not hold me to that!!
Take a closer look at the 2 pin versions on Amazon, the pictures are fairly sharp, you should be able see if there will be issues.
Good luck

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #1,083 of 2,251
dharmasteve: I highly recommend the NS Audio cable, 8 shares, pure copper and silver plated copper mixed braided I bought the NS Audio NS2 which comes with that cable, and I loved the cable so much I just ordered another one. Looks beautiful, very light, preformed thin ear hooks with no memory wire, great sound, and free shipping.

Jun 21, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #1,086 of 2,251
My take on the latest King from TFZ, King III Review. Enjoy! :)

photo_2019-06-21_01-43-57.jpg photo_2019-06-21_23-25-27 (2).jpg

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #1,087 of 2,251

Here's the TFZ No.3 connector.
The earphones have a short (1mm) stem, the cable plug goes over this stem so it has a cavity around the pins
Here's some full-res pics of it
https://photos.app.goo.gl/S46mRMd2axSdizJm7

This is the cable the Ti versions come with...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TFZ...-Mixed-Braided-HiFi-Earphone/32953751609.html

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,088 of 2,251
Here's the TFZ No.3 connector.
The earphones have a short (1mm) stem, the cable plug goes over this stem so it has a cavity around the pins
Here's some full-res pics of it
https://photos.app.goo.gl/S46mRMd2axSdizJm7

This is the cable the Ti versions come with...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TFZ...-Mixed-Braided-HiFi-Earphone/32953751609.html

Thanks for the info. I managed to get a couple of two pin cables working but they don't have the same fitting as the TFZ stock cable has and they are 3.5mm, single ended. So I've asked Penon Audio about what balanced 2.5mm cables will fit properly. I've now seen a few on their site in my price range, so hopefully they will get back to me tomorrow. They are pretty quick. The TFZ No3s to UK in exactly a week.
Steve

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #1,089 of 2,251
My take on the latest King from TFZ, King III Review. Enjoy! :)

Like I said I may have some foam missing from inside my tubes or something cause mine are not intimate and pretty ruthless up top. Was just listening to some stuff yesterday like movie music I haven't listened to in a while and the hearing things I haven't in those tracks in ages and that is with the treble filtering OS200 filters inside my tips. Not "a touch of sparkle" more than an onslaught. So, Pretty sure my pair had some sort of issue but I fixed them and they are keepers for me that I tweaked them with the right tips and filter out the excess but they still make everything else I own sound darker and less treble extended. Glad I have the pair I do as this thicker sounding one that people are changing cable to get more treble or hearing the bass not be quick like I hear mine is not the one that has grown on me lol. Go figure :) Best laid plans as I had the cable and tips to lighten/thin them up just enough and never needed them. Done talking about my pair, btw, as they are not relevant and won't help the discussion.

What, no comparison to the No.3? They share the King name but are more related to the 3 having the diamond diaphragm.:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #1,090 of 2,251
Like I said I may have some foam missing from inside my tubes or something cause mine are not intimate and pretty ruthless up top. Was just listening to some stuff yesterday like movie music I haven't listened to in a while and the hearing things I haven't in those tracks in ages and that is with the treble filtering OS200 filters inside my tips. Not "a touch of sparkle" more than an onslaught. So, Pretty sure my pair had some sort of issue but I fixed them and they are keepers for me that I tweaked them with the right tips and filter out the excess but they still make everything else I own sound darker and less treble extended. Glad I have the pair I do as this thicker sounding one that people are changing cable to get more treble or hearing the bass not be quick like I hear mine is not the one that has grown on me lol. Go figure :) Best laid plans as I had the cable and tips to lighten/thin them up just enough and never needed them. Done talking about my pair, btw, as they are not relevant and won't help the discussion.

What, no comparison to the No.3? They share the King name but are more related to the 3 having the diamond diaphragm.:smile_phones:
The No.3 is definitely more energetic sounding than the King III. The King III has a smoother presentation. Cheers! :)

Jun 23, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #1,091 of 2,251
Got my No. 3, I like them more than KPE, better bass, very comfortable to my small ears due to the shallower insertion and less tiring upper highs. Definitely one of the best under $200 I've tried. Still falls short of something more expensive like the FH5 which has a better bass extension, you can feel the air moving, cleaner sound overall, less tiring and more enjoyable, but for $109 it's definitely worth it.

One thing, I've seen these described as above average in soundstage, I find them just average. The positioning is good but stage is quite small, smaller than KPE IMO, more like Crescent. Instruments that are far in the corner of the room with FH5 or E4000 are only half way with No. 3. The virtual 3D barbershop also positions the chair at average distance compared to other IEMs . Tested with many, many different tips and different sources. Not bad overall, but reading some of the reviews I was expecting a larger soundstage.

Jun 23, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #1,092 of 2,251
Got my No. 3, I like them more than KPE, better bass, very comfortable to my small ears due to the shallower insertion and less tiring upper highs. Definitely one of the best under $200 I've tried. Still falls short of something more expensive like the FH5 which has a better bass extension, you can feel the air moving, cleaner sound overall, less tiring and more enjoyable, but for $109 it's definitely worth it.

One thing, I've seen these described as above average in soundstage, I find them just average. The positioning is good but stage is quite small, smaller than KPE IMO, more like Crescent. Instruments that are far in the corner of the room with FH5 or E4000 are only half way with No. 3. The virtual 3D barbershop also positions the chair at average distance compared to other IEMs . Tested with many, many different tips and different sources. Not bad overall, but reading some of the reviews I was expecting a larger soundstage.

I agree. The sound stage is actually comparatively narrow. Even so I do like the presence and impact that this IEM gives out. It's one of those IEMs that certainly announces itself and shares it's musicality. After a few days the bass has really opened up. I like it a lot.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #1,093 of 2,251
Thanks for the info. I managed to get a couple of two pin cables working but they don't have the same fitting as the TFZ stock cable has and they are 3.5mm, single ended. So I've asked Penon Audio about what balanced 2.5mm cables will fit properly. I've now seen a few on their site in my price range, so hopefully they will get back to me tomorrow. They are pretty quick. The TFZ No3s to UK in exactly a week.
Steve

I have a TFZ No. 3 arriving early next week along with a few **** cables so I can measure the pins to verify and see how they fit.

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #1,094 of 2,251
I have a TFZ No. 3 arriving early next week along with a few **** cables so I can measure the pins to verify and see how they fit.

I asked Penon Audio about cables that would fit the TFZ No3 transparent. The ISN Audio S16, H16, and C16 are fairly well reviewed cables, so I went for the S16. ISN audio imply their cables all bring slightly different sound qualities, but I got the S16 because it's white. I hope it's not overkill as it's a bit hefty. I do have a balanced **** 2.5mm MMCX cable I use on my Tin Audio T2s, and it does, to my ears, improve the sound over the 3.5mm stock cable on my FiiO M9. So the ISN Audio I have ordered have .78mm, two pins and I hope it fits firmly into the IEM without falling out. I should get it in 3-5 days with bit of luck.
Steve

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #1,095 of 2,251
I've got the ISN Audio H16, which is the same as a S16, except it's mixed copper/silver instead of all silver. I wear glasses and it's a little too thick behind the ears to be 100% comfortable, but it's not too bad. Well made is a understatement. I was using it on my NF Audio N3U and the pins locked in good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back